usa :: new york :: general

Analyst

the ace hotel has a promo going on right now ("starving artist) where their bunk bed room is at 100$/night (no avail for june but there's for july).

a bit over your budget:

jetsetter has rooms right now at 185$ for ink48

the pod is at 150$

there's a bunch of sales/packages going on right now for the gay pride if you're going around those dates.

*edit* btw i looked for rooms in early june and the ace was by far the best deal i found.

• 2 weeks later...
I wonder what happened to all the hoopla with all the new Ramen shops that were opening up in NYC. With all the choices, its still incredibly underwhelming.

Its really underwhelming compared to tokyo where the ramen has gotten really creative lately with shit like thai green curry, carbonated broths, soy milk, turtle eggs, tuna chashu, konyaku noodles.

But there is still plenty of places nobody knows or talks about that do stuff like shio beef tongue ramen, assari ramen, and scallop ramen.

Too many kyushu style places opening up serving normal hakata tonokotsu.

Chicken, is Negiya open for lunch?

i tried ramen totto recently. they do their broth only with chicken and instead of char siu pork they use a torched pork toro.... overall found their noodles really nice but the broth was missing the depth that you have with pork

Terakawa - I like their special 10 bowls a day Oxtail ramen with tendons, deep fried onions in a shoyu broth, They have a new black garlic oil ramen, I havent had that yet. They also have a yuzu kosho cold ramen I've been meaning to try.

Tsushima - Weds they have a shio scallop and pork based ramen for lunch, Fridays they have Shoyu Tonkotsu

Saburi - they have a cold duck reimen(like ramen but chewier)

I havent been to Hidechan, Totto, or Negiya yet.

I've been walking by the downtown men kuitei and they have a shio beef tongue ramen, sounds good, but the downtown menkuitei has been not as good as the midtown one.

Polish, I have to give Minca another shot. I tried Kambi recently and did not like it at all. I heard Minca is much better than Kambi.

Omen is good, been eating at Kajitsu once a month. I want to check out Takashi, but its expensive for grill intestines.

Minca is better than Kambi. Not really sure how, since it's the same menu. Minca's toroniku ramen is my favorite and kambi doesnt have it.

I need to check out Menkuitei, I've been putting it off for way too long.

I'm going to Takashi next week with some clients so I'll report back.

I also eat at Kyo Ya a lot. Again it's near my place, but i think it's very underrated.

• 2 weeks later...

so a friend of mine and me are planning to stay in new york over the summer (september till mid of october). we both will be working/doing an internship.

we're looking for an apartment in the brooklyn area for that time. basically looking for a two bedrooms apartment, but 1 bedroom + big kitchen/living room would just be fine as well.

if any of you know somebody who is subletting something along this line please get in touch.

good sites on the web for nyc sublets (besides craigslist) would be great as well.

i really would appreciate any help!!!

just send me a message i'll send you my contact information.

thanks alot

Heading to New York for Rock the Bells this year.

Never been to the States before, let alone New York. So I really don't know much.

Gathered up a few spots from the various threads but anything more current would be appreciated.

I have my eye on fast food places we don't have in the UK such as White Castle, Popeyes, In n out etc + local places or whatever we find on the way.

I'm on a student's budget and i've yet to find accommodation. Will be looking for a cheap hotel, so if you guys have any suggestions that would be awesome.

Anything cool that I may not otherwise know about?

Thanks in advance..

Keep checking Gilt jetsetter as they sometimes have some hotel rooms for under $100/night. What is your budget?

Some of the fast food places you mention are probably not even in the city, food in NYC is amazing, so don't worry about it. Menupages.com is great.

Hi all,

This is my first time to go to NYC with my gf. We have 48 hours to travel around. We are not familiar with NYC, actually never been to US before. We don't drive ourself so mainly by metro I think. We are a bit worry of the safety in the metro=(

Hotel has not been chosen but most likely near LGA Airport as we are leaving at 7am on the third day.

My gf wants to spend 0.5 day (at least!!!) around Macys, Saks and the 5th avenue. We want to travel, very common spots like

Times Square

Central Park

The Dakota

Strawberry Fields

Greenwich Village

Manhattan

Soho

Empire State Bldg

Brooklyn Bridge

Wall Street

Ground Zero = World Trade Centre?

Statue of Liberty

Any suggested traveling route? I have not too much idea on the sequence and route at all. Appreciate your help on it!!

Suggestion on hotel and transportation, advise on safety are of course welcome!! Thanks all

Op, honestly you're not going to be able to do a majority of the touristy stuff you've listed. You should stick to a few of the major ones, like Times Sq (at night), Empire State, Statue of Liberty. 2 days is not enough time, you should check out the tour buses that go around the city.

If you want to shop on Madison/5th ave and in Soho that's gonna be half a day already. Plus you gotta eat!

Subway is completely safe, unless you plan on going to the bronx at 2am...Taxi to LGA is going to be like $50usd w/ toll and yes they're everywhere. Map out what you're going to do for the day and use hopstop (dot) com. It'll tell you what trains to take and if there's any service delays. Good luck and enjoy NYC it's going to be a quick 48hrs!

Never been to the States before, let alone New York. So I really don't know much.

Gathered up a few spots from the various threads but anything more current would be appreciated.

I have my eye on fast food places we don't have in the UK such as White Castle, Popeyes, In n out etc + local places or whatever we find on the way.

I'm on a student's budget and i've yet to find accommodation. Will be looking for a cheap hotel, so if you guys have any suggestions that would be awesome.

Thanks in advance..

Oof you're trying to pack on some extra baggage with the states fast food huh? There's White Castle and Popeyes but no In N Out :( (only in Cali). Try out Five Guys Burgers, Greys Papaya a famous hotdog chain here, street kabobs, and there's a pizza shop on every block. There's definitely a lot of places to eat on a budget. I've seen a few hostels here in NYC that a lot of foreigners stay at so I'm assuming that's pretty cheap. Try googling it...good luck and enjoy NYC.

Thanks in advance..

As far as accommodation goes, maybe look into renting an apartment depending on how many of you there are.

As far as food goes, don't waste your time with White Castle or Five Guys. You can get better food for very low prices. Not to bash those kinds of places, as I have recently stuck up for them in another thread, but if you are only in NYC for a few days you might as well hit up some better eats for similar prices.

Fried Dumpling in Chinatown is very cheap and good. La Superior is bomb mexican food in Williamsburg that is quite reasonable. Pretty much any pizza place is going to be very good in NY, and the better places are very much worth going to. There is good ramen in NY that is quite descent (it's very popular right now), very good BBQ, you name it really.

Drinking can also be quite cheap there, if you do it right. Beer can be bought at any corner store, which are everywhere, and a lot of bars have happy hour specials and stuff.

I'll be there for Rock The Bells as well, so maybe we can meet up at some point, though I'll be with a bunch of friends.

I agree if you don't have to eat fast food, I would definitely recommend finding other options besides the corporate chains. There's so many great cheap spots you just gotta plan it out. Try Shake Shack Burgers, lot's of people love it.

Also if you're taking the subway you can use hopstop(dot)com, that will give you directions to get around.

Nice, noted all these places down. Will definitely check them out.

I have a problem though, i'll be a month away from 21 when I go. What's the deal with ID in NY? How likely are fakes to work, considering it will be an English one?

I've thought of borrowing a friend's drivers license but I don't want to be responsible for losing it if a bouncer decides I don't look enough like the dude.

Yeah that'd be cool Hocus, perhaps i'll hit you up nearer the time.