usa :: new york :: general

Analyst

Thankfully I pretty much have the job secured.

I'll be flying up in April to look at some areas. I'm debating between living in Brooklyn/Queens, or living in a small studio in Manhattan. My budget is $1600, and from what I've seen on craigslist, there are a few here and there.

Any areas in Manhattan (near soho) to avoid? Greenwich looks pretty cool, lower east seems affordable. Any other areas I should check out while I'm there?

Thanks all!

• 3 weeks later...

Going back to NYC this coming May (end of the month), bringing the lady along and it'll be her first time in the city.

I'm making a tattoo appointment, definitely going to Red Bamboo and Lula's, and my girl definitely wants to shop and maybe see some interesting, but not too touristy shit.

Anything new and sick that I should know about?

I realize it's almost three months away but we're planning the trip now so it's on my mind to post here.

Going to be in the city for the One Show college festivities May 10-12. Thinking about making reservations somewhere nice...anyone got recs?

Probably not thinking Per Se $275 nice, but don't mind dropping a bill or so on a nice meal.

Possibly WD-50? Not sure what sort of reviews it usually gets.

Go to expensive places for Lunch, and go cheap for dinner

Del Posto

Eleven Madison Park

Jean Georges

I'll go this route if I can, but my days will probably be pretty full.

I may end up just eating at some cheaper places I've wanted to try, anyways.

Gonna be there right during/before NYU graduation, so I'm sure places will be booked pretty early.

Has anyone ever eaten at Kajitsu? Me and the lady are vegan and love sushi so the place sounds sick, Id just like to know if it's really that great before I throw down all that cash.

My wife went last week and she loved it and she's a meat eater.

Going to be in the city for the One Show college festivities May 10-12. Thinking about making reservations somewhere nice...anyone got recs?

Probably not thinking Per Se $275 nice, but don't mind dropping a bill or so on a nice meal.

Possibly WD-50? Not sure what sort of reviews it usually gets.

i've been interested in wd-50 for a long time. love to hear if anyone here has opinions.

i've been interested in wd-50 for a long time. love to hear if anyone here has opinions.

I hate that place. I went knowing that its not going to be the best tasting food but it will be would be a interesting play on textures. But it was some of the downright nastiest food I ever ate, and this is coming from someone who enjoys eating pigs blood, blood sausage, animal intestines, sweet breads, cod sperm sacs.

I think molecular gastronomy is cool and all, but it should not be used in dishes just for the sake of being interesting. Like I found a lot of the dishes were ruined by the addition of bonding agents, and nitrogen instead of being enhanced. Like they took a perfectly good piece of foie gras, pureed it, and mixed it with a gelling agent so you ended with a foie gras thats like eating caulking paste, instead of rich, creaminess that one associates with foie gras.

WD50 is one of my three favorite restaurants in nyc (other 2 are robuchon and aldea). However, I only like it for its DESSERTS, wine list, and cocktails. Not a big fan of its savory side--interesting and edible but thats about it.

Desserts there are amazing. I try to go every season to see whats new. Alex Stupak is amazing. I don't think there's any other restaurant to rival WD50's pastry program (maybe robuchon 3-4 years ago).

I think aldea is starting to go down hill a bit. I went when it first opened, and it was amazing, and the last two visits have been kind of a let down with chewy overcooked meats, and heavy handed on the salt.

You should check out Del Posto for dessets, they put out some pretty interesting stuff these days.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to New York on april 6 and staying til may 1st. I'm studying advertising in Stockholm and got an internship at BBH NYC. Only thing is, I haven't got a place to stay :eek: I've been looking to stay as close to the office as possible (32 ave of the americas), SoHo right? Well right now I'm looking to stay just anywhere. Anything is better then camping out in Central Park...

Any cheap hostels near or in SoHo/ midtown/ lower east? Or do you know anywone who is willing to rent their appartment för a month?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...