646 replies to this topic

#391 sybaritical

sybaritical

supermonkey

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,676 posts
  • joined 08 september 05

Posted 11 October 2007 - 09:29 PM

Forgive me for quoting a long since cool/verging on geriatric alternative rock group, but surely: if you have to ask, you'll never know.

Stay at home with your mum and let her bake you cookies.

It's the best option for everyone in the long run.

#392 dutchxoven

dutchxoven

semibored

• Pip
  • 200 posts
  • joined 09 january 05

Posted 12 October 2007 - 06:45 PM

so me and two friends want to go on an international trip somewhere in november somewhere. but we arnt quite sure where to go?....somewhere tropical or hot would be perfect. we are located in the virginia / north carolina area. we dont mind spending around 800 bucks to fly somewhere, but we want wherever we go to be really inexpensive, so we can stay at a fairly nice place for super cheap and just have loads of fun, and live like kings for fairly cheap. any help would amazing. thanks!

#393 RockTheVote

RockTheVote

superbored

• Pip
  • 327 posts
  • joined 25 october 06

Posted 12 October 2007 - 07:05 PM

Tibet, fly to china, take a train straight to Tibet..

#394 rome1

rome1

superfreak

• PipPipPip
  • 3,606 posts
  • joined 14 july 06
  • biography:been here done most of that...

Posted 12 October 2007 - 07:09 PM

Dominican Republic, for around 800 bucks you can get a flight and all inclusive (booze and food is paid for) for around 4 or 5 days.

#395 constant struggle

constant struggle

superjunkie

• Pip
  • 1,818 posts
  • joined 09 february 07

Posted 12 October 2007 - 08:23 PM

No where, the US DOLLAR IS HRORIBLE

#396 bones.

bones.

bored

• Pip
  • 33 posts
  • joined 27 september 07

Posted 12 October 2007 - 09:23 PM

No where, the US DOLLAR IS HRORIBLE

Your grammar is horrible, son.

#397 Hocus Pocus

Hocus Pocus

superjunkie2K

• PipPip
  • 2,495 posts
  • joined 26 february 07

Posted 12 October 2007 - 09:26 PM

What would your budget once there/how long do you want to be there?

#398 dutchxoven

dutchxoven

semibored

• Pip
  • 200 posts
  • joined 09 january 05

Posted 13 October 2007 - 03:30 AM

What would your budget once there/how long do you want to be there?

probably would wanna stay for close to 9-13 days...as far as budget...hmmm, not exactly sure how much i want to spend yet.....maybe around 2 grand is what i expect to spend, food , drinks, entertainment, sightseeing and so on. but i really want to stretch that 2 grand to the max.

#399 mtl20v

mtl20v

semibored

• Pip
  • 94 posts
  • joined 13 march 06

Posted 13 October 2007 - 03:53 AM

Jump on a plane to amsterdam for 6-7 days. You could pull it off for 4000$ for both of you all included, and thats having a good time.

#400 Tisswat

Tisswat

superjunkie

• Pip
  • 1,877 posts
  • joined 25 september 04
  • style:none
  • attitude:hypnotized

Posted 13 October 2007 - 07:13 AM

somewhere tropical or hot would be perfect.

Jump on a plane to amsterdam for 6-7 days

Do you know what the weather is like here in november? You might get lucky with some sunny (but cold) weather, but this ain't the tropics.

dutchxoven, It sounds like the Carribean will be your best bet.

Or.. if you can handle the long flight - Mauritius.
In before waywt thread.

#401 dutchxoven

dutchxoven

semibored

• Pip
  • 200 posts
  • joined 09 january 05

Posted 13 October 2007 - 01:30 PM

Do you know what the weather is like here in november? You might get lucky with some sunny (but cold) weather, but this ain't the tropics.

dutchxoven, It sounds like the Carribean will be your best bet.

Or.. if you can handle the long flight - Mauritius.

i know Mauritius is gorgeous , how does the American dollar fare there? its off the coast of Madagascar yea? do you think it is somewhere three guys around the age of 25-26 would enjoy for an extended amount of time?

#402 poly800rock

poly800rock

postwhore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,040 posts
  • joined 09 september 04

Posted 14 October 2007 - 06:36 AM

i drove oslo to bergen, fucking amazing. best part of norway trip actually, everything else much too expensive there. but seeing the fjords out the car window is quite spectacular
TEAM OZAWA (oi lui xwy qluy wh l krcviukevi, zeaeylxy kibuiy kwbeiyt. oi lui drky l hlsi qemml kfwq.) http://www.superfutu...ad.php?t=255186

#403 lestat

lestat

superjunkie

• Pip
  • 1,321 posts
  • joined 24 april 06
  • style:oriental
  • wish i was in:a whore house
  • talents:asdasds

Posted 14 October 2007 - 09:34 AM

Thailand... theres nothing them lady boys wont do...

#404 Tisswat

Tisswat

superjunkie

• Pip
  • 1,877 posts
  • joined 25 september 04
  • style:none
  • attitude:hypnotized

Posted 14 October 2007 - 12:08 PM

i know Mauritius is gorgeous , how does the American dollar fare there? its off the coast of Madagascar yea?

It lies about 1000km east of Madagascar, next to Reunion (which is very expensive). The dollar fell about 10% to the Mauritian rupee in the last 12 months. But to give you an idea, you can find a room for two persons from as cheap as about 20-30 bucks a night - including a simple kitchen and a 100m strawl from the beach.

Plenty of stuff to rent on the island if you want to avoid staying in a hotel. A few months ago I received a quote for a villa for 6-8 people with a swimming pool, balcony looking out over the ocean and the works for $750 a week. I think it was via www.homelidays.com but I'm not sure. Anyway, there are plenty of people posting on Virtualtourist that are offering their services to find you something cheap. Just ask around the travel forums for reliability and past experiences from other travellers.

do you think it is somewhere three guys around the age of 25-26 would enjoy for an extended amount of time?

I wouldn't worry too much about that! Because it's so affordable, there are many young tourists on the island. You can do anything from surfing, kitesurfing, scuba diving, sea fishing, etc. etc. I think 9-13 days will more likely be too short than too long. Plenty of nightlife too (this was last January, a DJ gig by David Guetta).
In before waywt thread.

#405 sybaritical

sybaritical

supermonkey

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,676 posts
  • joined 08 september 05

Posted 14 October 2007 - 12:26 PM

You want cheap.

Thailand. Get out the city and head ... anywhere else. Not perfect weather yet but Ok enough, specially up north.

Laos is the same only more mental.

And what about Vietnam?

etc.

#406 Kasper

Kasper

superjunkie

• Pip
  • 1,838 posts
  • joined 09 january 06

Posted 14 October 2007 - 10:07 PM

check that out for car
http://goeurope.about.com/od/transportation/a/buy_back_leases.htm

we did that with some friends for a summer and it's much better than a regular rental. and you can thrash the car as much as you want and don't care about it since insurance is included and there's no deductible.

parking is very very expensive in europe, we ended paying much more than we budgeted. and be carefull about fucking photo-radar, these bastards are everywhere, i'm so glad we don't have that shit in canada.

#407 staggst

staggst

bored

• Pip
  • 37 posts
  • joined 18 september 07

Posted 17 October 2007 - 05:19 AM

Warm, ridiculously cheap, gorgeous women, wonderful food/beer/wine/drugs, reasonable airfares and some time in Punta del Este will fulfill your beach/bikini needs.
There's also very little poverty, so it's completely guilt free living like a king. I spent February of 2005 there living very well for peanuts and loved everything about it. Check it out.

#408 aan den rijn

aan den rijn

semibored

• Pip
  • 96 posts
  • joined 15 july 06
  • biography:If I'm not wearing a suit to dinner (Aquascutum, Armani, YSL, or Zegna), it's just not right
  • location:San Diego/Los Angeles/Montreal/Boston/Suzhou, China
  • talents:history and shopping, history of shopping
  • occupation:professional partier, travel agent, real estate guru overseas, professional student

Posted 18 October 2007 - 02:53 AM

Cheap and warm in the winter? Why not just Mexico or even Los Angeles?

#409 aan den rijn

aan den rijn

semibored

• Pip
  • 96 posts
  • joined 15 july 06
  • biography:If I'm not wearing a suit to dinner (Aquascutum, Armani, YSL, or Zegna), it's just not right
  • location:San Diego/Los Angeles/Montreal/Boston/Suzhou, China
  • talents:history and shopping, history of shopping
  • occupation:professional partier, travel agent, real estate guru overseas, professional student

Posted 18 October 2007 - 03:07 AM

don't the faroe islands have these fucked up custom whereby a boy becomes a man by killing fuckloads of whales until the sea turns a deep red?

cool.

Whale-killing is certainly a community event and yes the sea does end up running red, but recently they figured out that eating excessive amounts of whale blubber during pregnancies might cause birth defects and that's really putting a damper on the blubber culture, so to speak. Doesn't mean you shouldn't have some while you're there though.

#410 alex_844

alex_844

superbored

• Pip
  • 264 posts
  • joined 15 december 05
  • biography:"thats the ticket"

Posted 18 October 2007 - 03:41 AM

watch "no reservations: iceland" episode. pretty interesting i guess, they drink lots of some high proof liquor... but its probably super expensive like all scandinavian countries.

also they have loads of hot springs there right?

#411 totally epic

totally epic

superjunkie2K

• PipPip
  • 2,062 posts
  • joined 03 may 07
  • style:dainty
  • attitude:hater

Posted 18 October 2007 - 03:45 AM

I was just in Iceland last month. I'll have some tips for you shortly.

#412 mojinho

mojinho

superbored

• Pip
  • 722 posts
  • joined 18 january 07

Posted 20 October 2007 - 12:07 PM

iceland rules. i was in reykjavik in 2000 for a few days. nightlife is off the hook but from what i remember mostly restricted to weekends. everything is insanely expensive, more so than sweden, where i was coming from. get some flyers (which you won't be able read) and then ask people what's up.

the hot springs all the tourists go to is the Blue Lagoon. you take a bus there from reykjavik. it was pretty cool, i definitely recommend going.

#413 catcatcatcatcat

catcatcatcatcat

bored

• Pip
  • 36 posts
  • joined 05 october 07

Posted 21 October 2007 - 08:40 PM

Go to Stockholm! It's a bit pricy but worth the money.

Make sure you see some of eastern europe, especially former yugoslavia, it's so fucking beautiful. stay the fuck out of prague though unless you're in to rude people and hookers.

#414 fatchino

fatchino

superbored

• Pip
  • 661 posts
  • joined 16 april 07
  • location:One of the rainy islands to the west of mainland Europe.

Posted 21 October 2007 - 08:55 PM

stay the fuck out of prague though unless you're in to rude people and hookers.

You can't say that about the stag party's of our islands ... can you? :rolleyes:
SUFU Fantasy Football Gods 2009/10 is up and running for the new season; $25 a team
[thread=185658]Sale: Demon Denim, Steven Alan, Uniqlo, B Son[/thread]

#415 poly800rock

poly800rock

postwhore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,040 posts
  • joined 09 september 04

Posted 05 November 2007 - 09:19 PM

bring a lot of money
TEAM OZAWA (oi lui xwy qluy wh l krcviukevi, zeaeylxy kibuiy kwbeiyt. oi lui drky l hlsi qemml kfwq.) http://www.superfutu...ad.php?t=255186

#416 isdenn

isdenn

superbored

• Pip
  • 212 posts
  • joined 27 march 06

Posted 06 November 2007 - 12:03 AM

iceland is beautiful and reykjavik is a very cool town. it's also definitely an expensive town. hotels get pricey during tourist season so check out hostels and whatnot. the closer you are to laugavegur the better - thats where the shopping, bars, etc are mainly concentrated.
as far as food, i mostly ate seafood while i was there because it was pretty much all great quality. they also have good lamb. food is expensive though - if you want to save money, hit up a bonus supermarket or live on hot dogs or pizza.
as far as shopping is concerned, there are some cool boutiques and whatnot but they are ridiculously expensive. dont buy anything you can get at home.
rvk is a great town to party in - friday and saturday nights you will see the entire town out on laugavegur - things dont really kick off til after midnight. get started by hitting up vin bud (official liquor stores) because drinks in bars can deflate your wallet quickly.
everyone i met in rvk was super friendly and spoke fluent english. the concentration of good-looking honeys is also higher than most places ive been. maybe i just got lucky on the nights i was out, but i think everyone is just beautiful there.
as far as things to see in rvk...any tourist book will probably tell you the main shit. the view from the top of hallgrimskirkja is cool.
the only other towns i went to in iceland were akureyri (the "reykjavik of the north" - not terribly much worth seeing there but it's a pretty chilled town) and husavik (tiny whaling town on the northern coast, home to the iceland phallological museum and a very cool cultural center. downside: the whole town reeks of dead sea creatures)
speaking of dead sea creatures, make sure to try some hakarl (chase with a shot of brennivin and a pint)
im too lazy to type anything else right now but yeah iceland is definitely a good time.

there is nothing cutting edge about walking into the avant garde shop and coming out with an outfit...to then be arrogant about it is doubly foolish..

#417 poly800rock

poly800rock

postwhore

• 10,040 posts
  • joined 09 september 04

Posted 06 November 2007 - 12:15 AM

iceland is beautiful and reykjavik is a very cool town. it's also definitely an expensive town. hotels get pricey during tourist season so check out hostels and whatnot. the closer you are to laugavegur the better - thats where the shopping, bars, etc are mainly concentrated.
as far as food, i mostly ate seafood while i was there because it was pretty much all great quality. they also have good lamb. food is expensive though - if you want to save money, hit up a bonus supermarket or live on hot dogs or pizza.
as far as shopping is concerned, there are some cool boutiques and whatnot but they are ridiculously expensive. dont buy anything you can get at home.
rvk is a great town to party in - friday and saturday nights you will see the entire town out on laugavegur - things dont really kick off til after midnight. get started by hitting up vin bud (official liquor stores) because drinks in bars can deflate your wallet quickly.
everyone i met in rvk was super friendly and spoke fluent english. the concentration of good-looking honeys is also higher than most places ive been. maybe i just got lucky on the nights i was out, but i think everyone is just beautiful there.
as far as things to see in rvk...any tourist book will probably tell you the main shit. the view from the top of hallgrimskirkja is cool.
the only other towns i went to in iceland were akureyri (the "reykjavik of the north" - not terribly much worth seeing there but it's a pretty chilled town) and husavik (tiny whaling town on the northern coast, home to the iceland phallological museum and a very cool cultural center. downside: the whole town reeks of dead sea creatures)
speaking of dead sea creatures, make sure to try some hakarl (chase with a shot of brennivin and a pint)
im too lazy to type anything else right now but yeah iceland is definitely a good time.

why do scandinavians love hot dogs?

#418 moondog

moondog

superbored

• Pip
  • 925 posts
  • joined 20 january 06
  • talents:kendo, soccer, stuff

Posted 06 November 2007 - 02:32 PM

thanks man, im defintly spending a month solo in the scandanvian countries...i just want to party with fellow blondes.

UH-yeah yeah.

#419 seanhaus

seanhaus

semibored

• Pip
  • 138 posts
  • joined 21 june 06

Posted 07 November 2007 - 02:22 AM

thanks man, im defintly spending a month solo in the scandanvian countries...i just want to party with fellow blondes.

UH-yeah yeah.

Be prepared for awkwardness. Seriously.

I'd recommend checking out the Iceland community on Livejournal or Facebook. As lame as they are, there are tons of little great tips for what's going on - especially for local bands, etc, etc.

#420 moondog

moondog

superbored

• Pip
  • 925 posts
  • joined 20 january 06
  • talents:kendo, soccer, stuff

Posted 07 November 2007 - 02:31 AM

cool thanks man

my family is from the scandanvian region so i imagine i will blend in somewhat more then most westerners.