motorcycles caused me strife

wild style

I think you just have to overcome the hesitation of leaving familiar territory. The hardest part is starting and having the confidence that you can fix what breaks and make it there and back.

I agree, the confidence in trying to tackle a problem is important, but there's also merit in having the sensibility to call in a professional when you're in over your head. A lesson I've learned the hard way, but have trouble implementing..

Stopped by Ace Cafe tonight, on my way home from London. Thought I'd share some snaps.

IMG_20110810_201314-1.jpg

Triumph Man, here's a modern Bonneville

IMG_20110810_202905.jpg

Sorry for the terrible photo quality.

Enjoy!

Used to dig on the retro Triumphs but they're too common here and with all the wrong owners. They're the fixies of the motor world :(

Really, too common? You learn something new everyday...

Sure, I see more Triumphs than other classic brit bikes, but I put that down to production numbers.

What do you mean by wrong owners?

I'm with RaWorkshop on this one. Don't get me wrong I love me some Triumph's....built one with my cousin a few years back but you do see them everywhere now. And I totally understand the "wrong owners" comment.

Would a 2001 Ducati Monster 600 be a good first starter bike?

Might have the opportunity to purchase one locally and thought I'd ask around. FYI, ther owner's asking $3000, it has ~8500 miles, 6k mile service completed last year, and a few misc. mods. TIA.

Might have the opportunity to purchase one locally and thought I'd ask around. FYI, ther owner's asking $3000, it has ~8500 miles, 6k mile service completed last year, and a few misc. mods. TIA.

I wouldn't buy any euro bike past 06 and out of warranty (even if they don't cover you). maintenance intervals could be a pain in the ass and parts can be expensive. this is probably the only reason why I won't buy a hyper or even aprillia, ktm, husqvarnas or husaberg. that and I have to many damn hobbies.

Not a bad starter bike that is for sure. Are you into Ducati's or the style of the monster. If you are into the style I would say a Suzuki SV650 would be a better starter. Just my opinion. If you are planning on doing your own work the Suzuki IMO is an easier bike to work on and if you are planning on having someone else do the maintenance then the Suzuki will save you some money.

If money is not an issue than HELL yeah the Monster is a great bike!

Yeah I'd steer clear of the Duc as a first bike unless you have some deep ass pockets. The SV650 is way better. Look into Suzuki GS500s as well for something a little lighter for a first bike.

And dude, the "sweet fixie" of the motorcycle world is the 1970s honda CB. Add a stripped tank and clubmans and you've got a motorized bianchi pista with deep vees.

Thank you all for the replies, really appreciate it.

At the risk of sounding like a poser, I'm more into the style of the Monster than it being a Ducati. I've read and heard everywhere the SVs are a better option overall. I also don't think they sound as good as the Monsters. The SVs sound more crotch-rockety, if that makes sense.

Another bike I've considered is the Buell xb9sx. I love the looks of that bike too and to me they also sound pretty badass. Anyone know if that may be a better option than the Monster?

I do want to keep my overall bike expenses to a minimum and I realize the Ducati (and maybe even the Buell) wouldn't be the best approach but I can't get over the look and sound of both those bikes.

At the risk of sounding like a poser, I'm more into the style of the Monster than it being a Ducati. I've read and heard everywhere the SVs are a better option overall. I also don't think they sound as good as the Monsters. The SVs sound more crotch-rockety, if that makes sense.

Another bike I've considered is the Buell xb9sx. I love the looks of that bike too and to me they also sound pretty badass. Anyone know if that may be a better option than the Monster?

I do want to keep my overall bike expenses to a minimum and I realize the Ducati (and maybe even the Buell) wouldn't be the best approach but I can't get over the look and sound of both those bikes.

Right now, it seems like you're basing your purchase on sound and looks. This is a terrible way to decide on a first bike. You can alter the way a bike sounds with just simple slip on exhaust. Sit on as many bikes as you can (WITH THE OWNERS PERMISSION). You want to be able to touch the ground with your feet and feel comfortable. Do a lot of research, go read motorcycle magazines at barnes and nobles.

When buying a bike, you have to factor in all those "accessories" like jacket, gloves,helmet, tires, chain lube, etc. renski and redbaron really hit the nail on the head as to why you shouldn't buy one.

I used to ride a monster and while it was a fun bike to ride, I hated people asking me if my clutch was broken and I hated the maintenance. I will never personally work on an italian bike after having every exhaust bolt on an Aprilia shear off (yes I own a torque wrench). They're expensive bikes and unless you can do maintenance yourself(be prepared for some bolts in ridiculous places), they're even more expensive to maintain.

as for old Honda CBs, it most definitely is a hipster bike now. Same with vintage BMWs. Just riding through SF yesterday, I saw a guy with no gloves, no jacket, and only shorts riding a rust bucket of an R65. The tires were completely squared off and a good 2 inches of chicken scraps on both sides. I don't mind having hipster girls ask about my "cafe racer" all the time though...

take JackCrank's advice and check out either of those suzukis. both bikes are super reliable, cheap to fix and fun to ride. my first bike was a GS500. i jetted the carbs and added a Vance & Hines exhaust.... sounded great and was a blast

eh, you might just want to avoid bikes. you already had enough people here give you opinions.

Yeah I'd steer clear of the Duc as a first bike unless you have some deep ass pockets. The SV650 is way better. Look into Suzuki GS500s as well for something a little lighter for a first bike.

And dude, the "sweet fixie" of the motorcycle world is the 1970s honda CB. Add a stripped tank and clubmans and you've got a motorized bianchi pista with deep vees.

hilarious. I wish I could rep.

Really, too common? You learn something new everyday...

Sure, I see more Triumphs than other classic brit bikes, but I put that down to production numbers.

What do you mean by wrong owners?

Well not legit retros, the new Bonnevilles and Scramblers etc. Perfectly clean with some yuppie scum with Wayfarers, maybe a classic Bell helmet and well practiced grimace.

Honda CB falls into this too but I assume if they have a running CB they might actually know a thing or two. And I want one. So badly.

I was kind of hoping that I could find similar (rounded) bars from somewhere else.

I think those pangea bars will cost me around $175 with shipping, and an additional 25% sales tax and whatever the customs want.

Time to learn how to weld.