Number (N)ine 2010 S/S - Not BS

herpsky

-Discuss-

My rough translation:

Kooks, Ltd will be lauching the first season of Number (N) without Takahiro Miyashita by May 2010.

Kooks will be offering two lines: Number (N)ine Classic and n(n) (the so-called lame basics line).

There will be NO change in the pricing or design themes.

The former employees of Kooks have gone their separate ways and have gone on to pursue different careers such as consulting, designing for other maison labels, and etc. The new NN team will consist of 5-6 staff members + Koki Kitamura as the director. Kitamura has worked as a consultant in the apparel industry for years.

Check out this week's WWD Japan for details.

ナンバーナインを手がけてきた有限会社クークスが、新体制

で5月をめどにスタートするそうです。

新生ナンバーナインでは、元デザイナーの宮下貴裕氏は一切

関与は無く、クークスがナンバーナインの商標を用いた新しい

ビジネスとなるようです。

New_numbernine00281.jpg

新生ナンバーナインでは、価格を抑えたベーシックラインN(N)

とクラシックラインの2ラインを再開し、価格帯やテイストなどの

変更は無く、今まで取引のあったセレクトショップなどでの販売

をすすめていきたいとの事。

新生クークスは、アパレルメーカーに勤務後にファッション関係

のコンサルタントを務めてきた北村浩巳さんが代表の組織で、

5〜6人の会社。

元社員は様々な企業で再スタートを図っているそうです。

詳しくは今週発売のWWDにてご確認下さい

Sorry if I'm dense, but does that mean they're going to put out new seasons on the runways with concepts, themes, etc. or are they just going to recycle old stuff? I was always under the impression the collections were always very personal-ish to Miyashita.

As long as they make some black denim jackets and vests it doesn't bother me none. Looking forward to actual product photos.

Whether Kooks reproduces n(n) runway pieces or basics, as long as the quality is on par (and why wouldn't it be?), then I have no complaints. It's still a bankable brand.....kind of expected someone to step up and carry it forward for the sake of $$$. My gut says Miyashita isn't done with the game either. Would be great to see an eponymous label from him.

i dont like the smell of this. they may or may not have a graceful agreement on this, but seriously, what is n(n) without miyashita??

its like emi bringing out the best of radiohead after the band itself left the label. i didnt buy the best of cd despite being a crazy fan. there must be a line somewhere.

i mean if kooks really does wants to continue bringing out respectable and good fashion, why cant they just start something new with the old staffs? its not like the ppl buying n(n) havent noticed the kooks ltd. branding on the n(n) tags yet. hm i just realised how much i hate people who cash into things....

i would personally wait for miyashita back at his own game with whatever name he chooses to adorn his new works knowing it was him behind n(n). no other designer can (yet) top n(n)'s last season for me.

from the superfashion random thoughts thread:

for those who were wondering about takahiro miyashita and soloist (which is a pretty cool name):

http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Navigation/menofmonocle.jsp

I think you start off on him, but if not, scroll until you get to the q&a with takeharu sato.

directly from the q&a:

Name your favorite local hero.

Takahiro Miyashita. He was the designer of the fashion label Number (N)ine but closed down his brand because he wanted to create something new, so he set up Soloist. I haven't seen any of his new collection yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

it's kind of unsubstantial, but its something.

i dont like the smell of this. they may or may not have a graceful agreement on this, but seriously, what is n(n) without miyashita??

its like emi bringing out the best of radiohead after the band itself left the label. i didnt buy the best of cd despite being a crazy fan. there must be a line somewhere.

i mean if kooks really does wants to continue bringing out respectable and good fashion, why cant they just start something new with the old staffs? its not like the ppl buying n(n) havent noticed the kooks ltd. branding on the n(n) tags yet. hm i just realised how much i hate people who cash into things....

i would personally wait for miyashita back at his own game with whatever name he chooses to adorn his new works knowing it was him behind n(n). no other designer can (yet) top n(n)'s last season for me.

Frankie.gif

Number Nine Sample Sale (guaranteed shitshow)

Number Nine Sample Sale 11am to 6pm (5pm on the last day)

May 1 to May 5.

Samples from 2001s/s to 2009a/w

@ ベルサール原宿 東京都渋谷区神宮前 2-34-17

5月1日から5月5日(11時から18時まで 最終日は17時)

場所:ベルサール原宿 東京都渋谷区神宮前 2-34-17

2001S/SのTIME MIGRATIONから、最後となった2009A/WのA COSED FEELINGま

でのサンプルアイテムが販売されます。 興味のある方は落ち着いてお出かけを。

• 3 months later...

Amen to that, we should all boycot n(n) if miyashita aint there!

makes sense

if you've already got a consumer base for your brand, its irrational to abandon the thing kooks (probably) worked very hard to establish. especially in this economic climate, artistic integrity is going to take a knee to self preservation

in other words: more tight, darted pants for all

• 2 weeks later...

capitalist-greed.jpg

I agree with sawyer. I don't see why people here are getting upset. This happens all the time in the fashion industry. Miyashita's departure is just the nature of the beast in a tough economic climate. It will probably end up being a blessing for him down the road. I think he was beginning to feel stifled with the brand and the life that came along with it. Now he's the "soloist" and it looks as though he intends on operating on a much smaller scale (compared to n(n)). Which is good because he'll be more potent and in control. But anyway, I, for one, am all for Kooks continuing on with the n(n) label as long as they maintain their standards for quality and re-release classic pieces. Just mo' jawns for me.