the unbranded brand

blm14

more info released about the 21 oz via blue owl

http://blueowlworkshop.blogspot.ca/2012/08/unbranded-21oz-super-heavy-weight-raw.html

pretty tempting at less than 100 $

and the pics they got up is from a sample, there will be some changes made

21oz denim for under $100 means corners have been cut, and although those shots are a sample pair the stitching quality looks f**king horrendous.

you get what you pay for

Maybe I'm still too new to this, but on close inspection of the limited pics we have access to, I just couldn't figure out what makes the stitching "f-ing horrendous". To these neophyte's eyes, it looks like plain 'ol minimalist stitching - no bells, no whistles. Just so long as it doesn't rip apart at the seams (which we'll see if it does or not - wasn't there an issue with the N&F super-heavy-weights or ele2 when they first came out?), it should be fine, right? I guess my only wish is that they wouldn't use that kinda-ugly-brown for their stitching - closer to orange would bring in some nice contrast.

21oz denim for under $100 means corners have been cut, and although those shots are a sample pair the stitching quality looks f**king horrendous.

you get what you pay for

have you owned a pair of Unbranded? I have, despite one belt loop coming unstitched, I didn't have any problem with mine, which I wore everyday for 17 months. I finally had a crotch blow out, as I cycled in them frequently, but the same thing seems to be happening on my n&f deep indigos, faster than the UBs, even. Also happened on my APCs. Basically, for approx $70, you get a pretty good pair of denim. Not equal in quality to jeans costing twice or three times that, but well worth the price.

haven't owned a pair but have handled both in-store and wasn't particularly impressed, but that's just me. crotch blowouts are universal, regardless of brand - i've had them happen on some shit nudies, and had it happen on 21oz Iron hearts - it's just what happens. but given what i've seen of unbranded's in person, in this forum and in those sample shots, i'd be cautious about what kind of quality that pricepoint would bring, but again that's just me.

the construction of the jeans is definitely not on par with more expensive brands, but i think that's kind of the idea. in my opinion, unbrandeds make good entry/beginners jeans; low price, okay denim, and a good way to get your feet wet. that being said, if you know what you're doing have the opportunity to buy something of better quality, i don't see why you wouldn't unless you were looking for a pair of beaters or cutoffs (my case being both, which seems to have offended nearly everyone).

the 21oz looks interesting, even if it's stitch quality is a bit lacking. i wouldn't want to buy myself a pair of iron heart's without knowing what i was getting into when it comes to heavyweight denim.

I'm having some trouble. I ordered a pair of UB 201's two weeks ago, and received them in the mail last wednesday. I normally wear a size 32, and I sized down to a 31 for my UBs. However, when I tried them on, I could barely pull them up over my waist and it was nigh impossible to button even the bottom button. I sent them back to be exchanged for a 32; should I have sized up again, and why did sizing down not work for me?

Edited by Aleph Null

The other measurements are just as if not much more important than the waist in terms of fit. It's possible that the denim you were wearing before had a higher rise and fuller top block, which meant a smaller waist and overall tagged size. Or it was vanity sized (like APC). I'd suggest going back to your favorite pair and writing down all the measurements (check blue in green if you need help), then compare those measurements to those on whichever site you're ordering from. All in all, it's important to remember that a given size in one brand/model is almost never equal to the same size in another brand/model.

Edited by kenzie

The other measurements are just as if not much more important than the waist in terms of fit. It's possible that the denim you were wearing before had a higher rise and fuller top block, which meant a smaller waist and overall tagged size. Or it was vanity sized (like APC). I'd suggest going back to your favorite pair and writing down all the measurements (check blue in green if you need help), then compare those measurements to those on whichever site you're ordering from. All in all, it's important to remember that a given size in one brand/model is almost never equal to the same size in another brand/model.

I see. I'll do that if the 32s don't fit; I'm a noobie when it comes to raw denim, sorry about the dumb question. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

^^ though i'm not sure how i feel about guys lifting up their shirts like that...

101's, ~8 months of on and off wear, mostly for biking

img0755mc.jpg

img0756gs.jpg

I'm a bit new to the raw denim scene and could be missing out on something, but why in the hell would you ruin those jeans like that?

Considering the quality of the jeans, I'd say I'm not ruining much. They make good biking shorts, especially because I don't want to be getting chain grease all over my PBJ and Strike Gold denim. Purists will hate, but those who like practicality might better understand. And I know I'm not the only one who's done it, so don't get your panties in a twist.

• 2 weeks later...