australia :: general

TTT

... i think...doing a retailing business is all about passion than being rich, as well as loving all sorts people, even those people are from hell..

for people who aspire to run a business.. the 4 P's are outdated.

no longer it's about the prices. it's now about the cost.

no longer it's about the product. it is now about the consumer.

no longer it's about the places. it is now about the convenience.

no longer it's about the promotion. it's now about the communication.

it is definitely all about change or die in this kind of climate. same goes as the pure play internet retailers.

take apple for example, or amazon , it is important to multi-channel

social concept store bring back the meaning of "traditional" b&m store. which imho, lift and ln-cc are very very successfully at, having art installations, gigs and great atmosphere for a social gathering.

the problem about australian internet retailers.. are because they are in an unsustainable environment - we have the most volatile and fluctuating currency, in addition that e-commerce basically have got very weak customer loyalty - internet shoppers sway to and fro in this global market that demand diversity and bargains. (then as a retailer, how much loss/nonprofit can you bear..?)

australia itself on another hand are geographically isolated, with opposite seasons, different government, culture and values to elsewhere, somethings takes time to assimilate, some perhaps never,, sz stuff are at best, surface appealing, imo.. there can be only be that minor group of people at a given period willing to spend / understand that sort of aesthetic (younger group comes in, matured group leaves) - the slicing of the cake will just become smaller, that's all.

i have not bought any clothing from online quite awhile... so. : S

anyway.. here's some good read http://www.mbaker-retail.com/

Yes, there will always be that clash between those that are busting their ass to make something work vs. those that can throw money at a problem until it goes away.

I like to think that perseverance will pay off, and that the labels we stock will appreciated that sort of mentality - especially given the stigma which revolves around those labels. The old adage "money talks" tends to hold true, however.

These sides of the fashion world are really interesting but smack of high-school cliqs. This can be said about most industries though.

It is a fun adventure, albeit a stressful one. And one we hope will succeed.

what do you mean by the 'stigma' associated with the labels you carry - as in, they are incredibly expensive (like all high fashion) or the typical mainstream non-parable consumer would think they are just 'weird' clothes?

maybe work under someone/store for a certain period first....?

personally i am very dubious about people start up a merchandising business without having some sort of prior experience. some succeeded, but most failed.

takes lot's of money, luck and people skill / networking for one to do so, tho.

maybe work under someone/store for a certain period first....?

personally i am very dubious about people start up a merchandising business without having some sort of prior experience. some succeeded, but most failed.

takes lot's of money, luck and people skill / networking for one to do so, tho.

You need only a passing experience in retail to run a store, and starting one is not dissimilar. Look at your average career SA, not the sharpest tools in the shed. And in the end, the General Pants of this world aren't far removed from the Darklands as businesses go.

And It does take all of what you say, so why be dubious? How would you even know if a store was started by someone with prior experience? Perhaps you used the word 'dubious' incorrectly?

i think if you're really passionate about something, even without any prior experience that should be fine. experience just make everything easier .. you know what to do if you encounter any problems.

plus a business background should be really helpful. i think it would be wise to find a business partner that have the same interest but with different background? like let say you have a design background and your partner has business background, combine those two, boom ! perfect combo i reckon .. but again, experience will take a good part if you or your partner had one.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, great thread - glad I found you. I have a cool little visual destination site Precinkt which features cool places to visit in a small area ie. a Precinkt And it's not just Melbourne!

I'm looking for contributors - people with a good eye, edgy local knowledge, handy with a camera.

Check it out - and go superfuture - love your work.

Posted · Hidden by savage science fiction, January 21, 2012 - No reason given
Hidden by savage science fiction, January 21, 2012 - No reason given

hey all sorry to post here but just wanted to see if anyone was interested in buying clarks desert boots in cola size uk 7. bought them online and they don't fit so would rather try and sell in oz before i pay some ridic price to ship them back.

selling for 100$ aud

Posted · Hidden by savage science fiction, November 16, 2011 - No reason given
Hidden by savage science fiction, November 16, 2011 - No reason given

hey all sorry to post here but just wanted to see if anyone was interested in buying clarks desert boots in cola size uk 7. bought them online and they don't fit so would rather try and sell in oz before i pay some ridic price to ship them back.

selling for 100$ aud

I like getting breakfast in melbourne; birdman eating @ city end of brunswick street is always nice though I am sure locals know wuts hawt right now and can rec something.

With a group of friends the 1950s era photo booths @ flinders street station are fun. They are 50% cheaper than new sticker photo booths too. Across the road from them is Lord of the Fries which I guess is a bit touristy but worth a look (if you like fries)

Carlton Club is nice. They don't like cameras there though for some reason tho.

I'd recommend going to Favella Rock if it's on fo sho. They play stuff like waka and ross etc etc. It was a lot of fun last time I was there.

Edited by mapclub

Welcome back supertalk...

Just a quick note to say we've received the StyleZeitgeist magazine at Parable. The magazine is a really interesting read and the photography and styling are likewise. The print itself is very good and as I mentioned over on SZ, the form factor is a lovely touch, measuring in at 200 x 265mm.

style-zeitgeist-magazine-590x787.jpg

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Edited by Ivans On High

With a group of friends the 1950s era photo booths @ flinders street station are fun. They are 50% cheaper than new sticker photo booths too. Across the road from them is Lord of the Fries which I guess is a bit touristy but worth a look (if you like fries)

Carlton Club is nice. They don't like cameras there though for some reason tho.

^ lol

End of Season Sale: 30% Off

Sale-AW-2011-e1322270933474.jpg

It is with great pleasure that we announce our very first end of year sale. We are offering all SZ members who sign up to our newsletter 30% off all current stock*. This SZ only sale will continue until December 1st, at which point we will go on sale to the general public. Please note that the prices displayed on the website do not show the discounted price.

To make use of the discount simply sign up to the newsletter here >>> and then email us through your desired order. We will then invoice you for the adjusted amount.

Free shipping is still applicable to all orders over $300AUD.

If you have any questions please just ask.

^lol umad?

I negged you for a + 1 unhelpful post but now i am just doing it for the hell of it.

i can see the neg has had some effect and you are now trying to be kind of helpful at least.

photobooths are fun and that type is rare anywhere in australia mane but maybe you aren't asian and don't understand photoboothery (?)

edit: also selectively quoting means i guess you agree with the rest of the advice anyway -_- ide

Edited by mapclub