What are your jeans doing today?

ninetynine

There is one upside to the loss of the old industries - less pollution means more fish. And these fellas, cormorants, who live off them.

10cormorants.jpg

This section used to have massive towers for a sugar refinery, recently demolished. They're still clearing away the rubble.

12oiltank.jpg

13container.jpg

I love these old gas holders, many of which date from Victorian times. THey're ruggedly beautiful. Yestreday I got a train thru West Ham where there were five of them, I want to go and see them again.

14gasholder.jpg

We looped away from the river to hurry back home to do some work. I've got 3,500 words to write, Carl has a 148 page booklet for a vinyl album to design, so we had to speed up a bit.

This is the factory that had the huge sugar silos. Now you can see their huge, brick distillery building, which seems totally deserted. I wonder how long this will last.

15olddistillery.jpg

But, not everything is crumbling and being demolished. Here's a happy site - Meantime Brewery, the home of the magical beer I am sipping right now. I'm 2,500 words in. I hope Carl got to his target of 120 pages by tonight. Have a great weekend, folks.

16Meantime.jpg

x post from cone x roy contest thread :

This was our last week of school...

5737174835_9ccae0ab63_m.jpg The last one of these I'll be washing for a few months.

A good friend from work is moving to a new school. We had a going away party this afternoon for her. Kicked off the summer w/ a little grilling, a little food and some LADDERBALL.

* we followed the 'rules' of the game and had drinks in our hands during actual play, but since we work at a school no adult beverages visible in pictures. *

247791_10150189253016835_508016834_7399390_7968227_n.jpg

250546_10150189254006835_508016834_7399404_18168_n.jpg

this is what winning looks like

230577_10150189254076835_508016834_7399405_3209399_n.jpg

247836_10150189254151835_508016834_7399406_2298886_n.jpg

She claimed to have never played before...

230307_10150189254316835_508016834_7399409_2671833_n.jpg

249793_10150189255546835_508016834_7399426_7315045_n.jpg

Then she proceeded to kick my ass.

230997_10150189255606835_508016834_7399428_6241408_n.jpg

But at least I had my wife, and my Roys to console me in my time of defeat.

226356_10150189255486835_508016834_7399425_2883475_n.jpg

Love the photo-splosion here! Repped where I could!

Xpost from RxC...

So this weekend is Victoria Day weekend in Canada, with Monday off. Our weekend started early yesterday, as our little one had no school . So we headed out with friends to a place called Elora - about an hour & a half west of the GTA.

Beautiful farmland, picturesque little town - Friday was a great day to go, as it becomes very busy & touristy on holidays & weekends.

On the way, quite a few OPP were on the roads - probably in preparation for the long weekend blitz

35d91be5.jpg

Elora

a2e9e5ab.jpg

Lots of over-priced "antiques"

ac8f9259.jpg

Small town denim steez!

81bf6461.jpg

First we took a walk along the river

9b404adf.jpg

Then we went over to the look-out area to get a view of Elora Gorge

0f9a39d0.jpg

21ed0f1a.jpg

The top of the gorge is surrounded by cedar forests - just lovely

1c752604.jpg

I'm always impressed by the hardiness of cedars, and their ability to put down roots almost anywhere!

8f532377.jpg

We hoofed down a long set of stairs to get to the water's edge

bb0604b1.jpg

After all that hiking around, we needed to re-fuel. So we dropped into a little pastry shop to check things out…

Mmmmmm

f7a77f86.jpg

We bought some of the best baklava I ever had

b1287826.jpg

An eclectic pastry shop - would you like some books or weapons with your pastry?

38b5331b.jpg

11b1b13f.jpg

We found a quiet spot by the river to eat and enjoy the view

1a0ed681.jpg

d9de6a66.jpg

The there was the obligatory playground stop

f3d82a77.jpg

6c630370.jpg

What I was wearing (Alden, RxC, Flathead)

ac5387b2.jpg

One of the best parts was seeing some of the original buildings, many dating back to the early 1800's

efae8028.jpg

Today my wife went to Canada Wonderland with our daughter & friends, while I'm at home, taking care of some "honey-do" items! More to come, and we still have lots of stuff planned for the rest of the weekend!

went to the Fort Worth Botanical Gardens today:

started out with the 80s badboy pose

5744353506_355f955570_b.jpg

bad reputation by dethridge photography, on Flickr

fed the fish them snapped some flowers:

5743805517_541dac94e3_b.jpg

sun bather's sibling by dethridge photography, on Flickr

5743805677_cca24b4c74_b.jpg

flower by dethridge photography, on Flickr

5744353910_01a4e55e12_b.jpg

love hurts by dethridge photography, on Flickr

then i battled Son not to jump in the water lol

5744354090_c5172cff74_b.jpg

waterfall by dethridge photography, on Flickr

then it got balls hot so we left

x post from ROY comp thread

as the prophet fore sore it is time for RAPKAYAK

rap1g.jpg

3 layers sprayed on later

rap2.jpg

spotted these cool scaffolding castors to clean up and turn into something in our future

rap3d.jpg

just like christmas morning get up and rush to open presents

rap4i.jpg

and thats that done

rap5d.jpg

next weekend the varnish

then my lead role as maker of all the soft bits, seats, back rests, skirts etc

these really are our babies as it will have been 9 months when they are done

today we ride bikes

ka kite ano

Went to read in Jingan park. Lots of nice manicured gardens and old men playing mahjong.

img4255d.jpg

img4256mz.jpg

img4258i.jpg

Walked down Nanjing road to find some eats. Glorious old soviet-style architecture.

img4261.jpg

Not-so-soviet-style architecture.

img4276v.jpg

img4262q.jpg

Stopped in a mall to get some food. The malls on Nanjing road are insane. As big as anything I've seen anywhere but nearly always empty. It's quite surreal. All these megamall complexes, almost nobody shopping there, and every store will have at least 3 attendants. Since the Nanjing Rd malls generally have the Western "luxury" brands, I assume this is because most people can't afford to shop there. By contrast, the Pudong mall was full of people.

img4264nx.jpg

img4263u.jpg

Ended up getting some quick noodle soup at Xia Mian Guan. Very cheap, very tasty, very big bowls.

img4270mz.jpgimg4273z.jpg

^^Damn you Robbie, got all next week to go at my school.

Photos on this page are simply stunning.

Love that perpetual water sculpture.....

I spent a good hour with the fam. last night......5745849925_6c089aaab4.jpg

.....hiding-out in our basement from this........5746398456_6ef53895fb.jpg

....and this, which passed blocks from our house.

5746398506_aae9b8d8cc.jpg

Not a violent enough tornado to do too much damage, but a little unnerving when it's so close to you. All was well......

Not a violent enough tornado to do too much damage, but a little unnerving when it's so close to you. All was well......

Kansas, no need to be jealous... this is just one more week of the summer I am not making money.

Glad you and your family are safe. Tornadoes don't screw around.

^ Looks like the perfect day Max! Misterh - something to look forward to indeed!

Kansas - whew, glad you missed that! BD - that perpetual water sculpture reminds me of a Moebius strip!

TG - looking forward to seeing them on the water! Morse - love it - keep playing with it and yeah - I'd love to see a B&W version too! Great stuff Fab - DoF is really superb on that lens!

The weekend continued (I'm a couple of days behind in sorting thru the shots!)

After Elora, we drove on to St Jacobs.

Typical scenery along the way

f84c056a.jpg

We stopped along the way to take some shots of horses in a field. I was so focused on one horse, that I didn't notice another one approaching me until he nuzzled my telephoto!

518dddf9.jpg

St Jacobs and neighbouring areas are home to many Mennonites - we knew we were getting closer when we started seeing more & more buggies on the street!

d09652bb.jpg

Our first stop was at an old mill/silo, which has been converted into 4 levels of shops, coffeehouses & historical/crafts displays

d8465d72.jpg

d1bfe06b.jpg

The quilts were really stunning

a3d4b0ea.jpg

Then we walked along the main street & took in the sights

e1a17c00.jpg

69c32a24.jpg

8d70a7ed.jpg

Mural depicting a Mennonite scene

ba10f317.jpg

Lots of buggies about

694375cb.jpg

b6393cd4.jpg

Further down the street, we stopped for an ice-cream, and a Mennonite family pulled up in their buggy. There were 4 children (2 boys, 2 girls), maybe between 3-6 years of age. Cute as buttons! Their dad bought ice cream for them, and I walked over to complement the parents on their beautiful family.

The 4 kids were sitting with legs dangling over the edge of the buggy, happily eating ice cream. The little girls wore long dresses, with apron & bonnet, while the lads had on dark coloured pants with suspenders, hats, and checked shirts.

I asked their parents if they would mind if I took some photos, and I was delighted when they told me to go ahead! I figured "nothing ventured, nothing gained", so when I finished with the shots, I asked if they would sign a model release for me. I was even more happy when they agreed! I promised to let them know if the photos get published, and yesterday I matted 4-5 really nice shots, and mailed the package off to them!

We noticed lots of really cool weathervanes

387d79e5.jpg

Further down the street, we found the shop that sells them. Very cool, funky place - they even had a model railroad that was suspended in the air, and the tracks weaved in & out of the store.

16a20f9d.jpg

3d1427fb.jpg

79cde7d4.jpg

The pups, enjoying a quiet moment.

76536e22.jpg

By the time we got back to the car, they were ready to sleep all the way home!

ffb6b344.jpg

We knew we had left farm country far behind when I spotted this…. Look closely - the whole car is wrapped in carbon fibre. SMH.

bf82019f.jpg

Hope you all had a great weekend!!!

^Wow, great stuff! And to everyone else, great stuff! This page is awesome!

So, today I had a little city adventure!

Skyline of the city

IMG_1006.jpg

Finally entering the city after a 30min drive

IMG_1009.jpg

Then obviously AS SOON AS I got out of the car, this guy was walking down the street haha. He made me crack up, so I asked to take a picture of him, and he said of course. Anyways, that made my day.

IMG_1010.jpg

IMG_1011.jpg

I was somewhat confused by this sign, but found it somewhat interesting

IMG_1012.jpg

Went to Yonah Shimmel, but wasn't hungry at all.. So I got a cream soda and matzoh ball soup, since the person I was with was.

IMG_1013.jpg

IMG_1014.jpg

IMG_1015.jpg

Then we eventually made our way to Self-Edge (cause it is a must visit place if you are ever in the area), but I forgot to take a picture of the actual store -__-, but this is the street it was on.

IMG_1016.jpg

Then I saw this interesting bike...

IMG_1018.jpg

then we took the subway to one of the most touristy things I could think of: Taking the staten Island ferry.

IMG_1023.jpg

See ya soon manhattan!

IMG_1026.jpg

Some random seagull.

IMG_1028.jpg

Part of the gate used to let us off (in an artsy form).

IMG_1032.jpg

Hey guys!

IMG_1035.jpg

Then managed to snap this cool pic.

IMG_1073.jpg

Proceeded to take the subway again to SoHo, where I awkwardly walked into BiG thinking I was cool. But, I walked down a bunch of streets.

IMG_1072.jpg

IMG_1048.jpg

Stupid pigeon.

IMG_1049.jpg

Probably my favorite part of SoHo Right here: The bike right outoutside of the Acne store IIRC.

IMG_1051.jpg

This picture actually is my favorite...

IMG_1052.jpg

Then walking back to the subway after visiting SoHo I saw a couple of guys working on something, I don't know what they were doing exactly though.

IMG_1053.jpg

As we were walking back to the car, we saw some "director" directing something (musical?, Play?..)..

IMG_1058.jpg

Walking back, saw a cool building, took a pic, put it into B&W to make it look cooler.

IMG_1064.jpg

Bye city :(

IMG_1065.jpg

And of course the WAYWT.

IMG_1074.jpg

Also, sorry for the un-sharpness of the images cause photobucket really knows how to fuck that up.

Been a while.. My jeans went to San Diego County to visit the Might 3 sisters falls and waterslide all day. It was a very intense hike. The photos dont really show how crazy the last mile or so was. Very steep. Saw lots of people take scary tumbles.

No me or jeans pictured.

51.jpg

71.jpg

81.jpg

91.jpg

111.jpg

121.jpg

131.jpg

151.jpg

141.jpg

Today my jeans went through a full day of fun and exercise!

Intro, the biggest electronic festival of Beijing

IMG_1347.jpg

was held at 751 industrial park inside 798

IMG_1349.jpg

Not a great picture but still that is the main stage

IMG_1350.jpg

An advertisement for Acupuncture Records, there were stickers everywhere

IMG_1352.jpg

Saw this huge dirty ass ball being bounced around the place

IMG_1354.jpg

Then here are some pictures of the unusual things at Intro

IMG_1355.jpg

IMG_1356.jpg

That lady was wearing a wedding dress

IMG_1351.jpg

Then I saw this interesting bike...

IMG_1018.jpg

That is all white because it is a ghost bike. Someone died there in a bike accident. :(

Walking back, saw a cool building, took a pic, put it into B&W to make it look cooler.

IMG_1064.jpg

That is the new Cooper Union Engineering building.

Looks like you had a fun day in the city though!

Forbidden...you have no idea how excited those pics make me...I'm going to be living out in 798 district (or near by) and its great to see some of what the area has to offer!!!!

laxlife what were you doing up near St. Marks on Bowery? my favorite bar is across the street from that building (McSorley's Old Alehouse), and I was on the next street up doing karaoke at like 2 AM saturday morning...Ippudo is up a ways as well and has very good Japanese food.

great shots everybody! Riff you're the man!

That is all white because it is a ghost bike. Someone died there in a bike accident. :(

That is the new Cooper Union Engineering building.

Looks like you had a fun day in the city though!

Oh :( Didn't know that, that's sad.

And yes I had a very fun day!

Also, do you work in the city?

laxlife what were you doing up near St. Marks on Bowery? my favorite bar is across the street from that building (McSorley's Old Alehouse), and I was on the next street up doing karaoke at like 2 AM saturday morning...Ippudo is up a ways as well and has very good Japanese food.

Huh, didn't know that haha! I was actually walking around the city I started there as we parked the car on E 6th St. Then we walked around that area for a little then took the subway and began our adventure. But, I actually didn't realize that area where we parked was until I came back to leave. My cousin used to go to Pace, and that was where we walked around when I visited her, funny I didn't recognize where I was until I walked back to our car.

Went cruising around Moganshu Rd in Shanghai. A lot of old industrial space converted into an art district. Didn't get any particularly good photos, mostly because I was a little overwhelmed by the size of the place.

There were about 30 multi-storey buildings comprised of big galleries, small galleries, cafes, bookstores, artists workshops, etc.. The place was like a maze with all the different stairwells, balcony walkways, and little rooms tucked everywhere. A really fun space...

img4292o.jpg

img4290b.jpg

And the road leading out had a wall adjoining the river bank, the whole thing was a series of murals. Must have been a mile or two long... Lots of memorials to the 11.15 victims, the biggest fire in Shanghai in decades, 58 people were killed when the 28 storey building went up in flames.

img4280n.jpg

img4282b.jpg

img4283o.jpg

img4287j.jpg

img4288k.jpgimg4289m.jpg