What are your jeans doing today?

ninetynine

Oh yeh, thats the country doing that. Nothing at all to do with individual effort or application. Apart from which, the company I work for is American based and owned.

I live well in spite of this country, not because of it.

Again, if you wish to discuss further please PM me, this is not what this thread is for.

Oh yeh, thats the country doing that. Nothing at all to do with individual effort or application. Apart from which, the company I work for is American based and owned.

I live well in spite of this country, not because of it.

Again, if you wish to discuss further please PM me, this is not what this thread is for.

If you really believe that shit you spout then you are a spoilt idiot.

I'm the idiot? Twice I asked for people to PM me instead of shitting up the thread and still you respond in here.

Make an effort to discuss your point of view in person (as both LFC and Big Truck have, to their credit) or keep playing to the crowd, choice is yours.

I am not responding to any further posts about my personal views in this thread, and apologies for those who have been distracted by it.

Back to business.

....anyway.

Xpost from Roy X Cone thread.

Sunday I posted pics of posh buildings around Greenwich. Lunchtime today I wandered down to our neighbours, Deptford, a vital part of the vibe of our area, for an errand.

This bit of town is a bit rougher around the edges. Around here was even more heavily bombed, and anywhere that survived tended to get built as council flats - projects to you yanks.

It ain't West Side chicago, but it's a bit grizzly, plenty of gangs in the projects and burnt out bits.

img0188x.jpg

You're truly in Deptford once you cross the Creek - good to see there's still working stretches, like this family firm that ships rubble and aggregate via the river.

img0181u.jpg

Overlooking the Thames, one old section of what used to be docks - where Henry VIII built his ships - is now all council blocks, but for one church, St NIcks Deptford, which dates from Norman times. It has an old tower, but was rebuilt in the 1600s, boasts some historic varied woodwork and - on the entry posts - a matched pair of skulls:

img0154k.jpg

One time, London was full of these pie and mash shops. We lost our greenwich one a few years ago - now this looks worryingly quiet. The Goddard family used to own a chain of these shops, selling stewed eels, or beef and pasrty pie with a green 'liquor' - a kind of sauce made with parsley and the juice in which they prepare the eels. I'll try and make sure I visit one of these places in the lifetime of our RXC contest.

img0157it.jpg

The high street is full of shops catering for people from West africa and the Caribbean.

Scotch bonnet: these are fiendish beasties…

img0158y.jpg

Smoked and dried fish…

img0160ok.jpg

Plaits, Kinky Twists and Ghana Corn Row:

img0169or.jpg

One run-down little shops had memorabilia from the South London family who presumably have run it for the last 40 or 50 years in the window:

img0167t.jpg

I specially liked the egg shop, with a kind of Enlgih version of the Can't Bust Em rooster. They were very pleased it had found an admirer.

img0159bv.jpg

Lunch. A cheap little greasy spoon, used by workers and little old ladies who linger over a cup of weak tea, that leaves your mouth feeling all chalky.

img0161tzn.jpg

Squished beans on toast and tea: £3.

img0162l.jpg

I noticed a bit of discussion on the waywt recently about some over-the-top cuffs. Is that me? I care not.

The leather on my William Lennons is waxy, very attractive, seems to fills up with tiny dings and marks that I like, lots of character.

img0163po.jpg

My main destination. Used to be these old repair shops were full of odd laces and stuff, sadly no more. But the keycutting was cheap and I liked this huge plastic key.

img0168k.jpg

The street, like many poorer areas, is full of odd independent evangelist churches. And some brightly colored religious supplies…

img0172wi.jpg

While the official religion is just around the corner. This is one of the lesser-known London 'NEw" churches - but you've probably seen it in Four Weddings and a Funeral or Pride and Prejudice. It's set in a pretty, old-fashioned church yard.

img0173vn.jpg

Round the corner is one of the oldest terrace of houses in London. THey each have finely-carved door cases, quite possibly made by the carpenters responsible for ship figureheads. These houses probably date from the 1720s and would have been owned by ships captains, or well-off ship-builders.

img0174in.jpg

I walked back home along the river. On the way, a huge new housing development was started. But since the recession the builders seem to have run out of cash, and work has stopped. It's left this old pub, right on the edge of the development, stranded. If the development finally takes off, maybe this place will find a new clientele - it's a lovely building, with direct views of The Thames.

img0183jf.jpg

Popped in on a fave, old musty bookshop on the way home. The stock rarely changes… but I try to always buy something. I liked the pulp illustration on the front of this one. The guy who owns it is sitting on thousands of books, but never gets around to pricing them. A couple years ago I feet I had to come out with a book, and saw an Ian Rankin hardback - of Knots and Crosses, his first Rebus novel. Turned out to be a first edition - one of only 200 and worth a packet. So I'm obliged to keep buying from this dude.

img0189he.jpg

On the way back… yet another churchyard… one of those spooky London ones, full of lost lonely, people, drunks and junkies, who wander around, arguing, fighting, or slumped semi senseless while life bustles on outside. A couple of years ago I saw flowers signalling someone had died in this park, a fight or an overdose I guess. Only the dead seem at peace here.

img0191jb.jpg

I'm the idiot? Twice I asked for people to PM me instead of shitting up the thread and still you respond in here.

Make an effort to discuss your point of view in person (as both LFC and Big Truck have, to their credit) or keep playing to the crowd, choice is yours.

I am not responding to any further posts about my personal views in this thread, and apologies for those who have been distracted by it.

Back to business.

And yet you insist on replying here yourself?

You are really not that clever eh?

ThinFinn - awesome pics! You're making great use of that DSLR!! Can't wait to see more from you!! Paul - lovely!

Roy xpost...

So the week was a mishmash of all sorta stuff - mostly work, with the "snow what" day in the middle… Everyone freaked, all schools were cancelled, and we all played hooky!

Some snaps of the fun.. Snowball fights…

a5557d8d.jpg

12d7a05c.jpg

The pups were wild - winter is their face season for sure!

80f2b851.jpg

And of course - sledding!

87914fdb.jpg

fb100f62.jpg

Next day was gorgeous - blue skies, fresh powder everywhere

569ed4e0.jpg

We went out with friends to celebrate the new year..

e4792ab7.jpg

2450c977.jpg

5bea2d24.jpg

And did lots of photography (more later when I can sort thru all the shots!)

4e10f0b1.jpg

Hell yea Beats. Paul, Rafa, Riff, great stuff!

tonight was not as productive as last Friday, but at least I got out while the sun was still up. unfortunately, when the sun is out this time of year it means its friggin' cold, and it dropped from 32 degrees down to -14 tonight in the last 2 days. Saint Paul this time. Walked from Lowertown up 4th ave. to the ice sculpture exhibit in the park. really cool stuff this year. froze my butt off all the way back to the car, that wind kills. was under dressed as well.

began about here...

5427405778_981a2899af_z.jpg

up the road a bit. the one thing I love about St. Paul as I'm sure i've mentioned before is the absence (well sort of) of really modern glass and steel buildings. we have some, but most of the time businesses come in and repurpose old brick high rises like these. really cool to see all the different colors and textures, not to mentions architectural styles present downtown.

5426797811_478929bd5d_z.jpg

here's an example of that old / new (not really new but compared to the others) contrast. still brick / stone / masonry, not steel and all glass.

5426799633_92792c492d_z.jpg

old parking structure.

5426801785_528d106c84_z.jpg

and finally arrive at the park, full of ice sculptures, they even have a Summit Ice Bar that serves beer during the festivities!

5427408524_0ae7ffa3b6_z.jpg

Ice wall that runs the whole block.

5426803095_3828aa7217_z.jpg

a little bit of detail...

5427409588_b74a3d8d6e_z.jpg

then I looped back around and walked back to the car, a few shots from the trip back as the sun was setting on me.

5426802115_c18f5d4b65_z.jpg

5426799061_68333d0954_z.jpg

and this was my last shot, and probably my favorite from the entire day.

5427404182_2ec5548686_z.jpg

cheers guys and gals. have a good week.

Nice looking pics, everyone! This forum reminds me, daily, that I'm in desperate need of a nice camera.

Posting these late, but whatever. I went to a vinyl party at an all analog retro studio, here in Nashville, called 1979. Really cool place if you're into vintage gear and stuff (www.welcometo1979.com). A photographer friend of mine showed up late in the evening as the night was winding down and almost everyone had left, and snapped these shots. Soooo I figured I'd post 'em. Wore my old APCs for the hell of it.

eaf8307.jpg

eaf8311.jpg

Picking out a late night re'ckud.

eaf8337.jpg

eaf8364.jpg

I took some pics with my wife's pink phone.

eaf8341.jpg

And tweeted about it.

eaf8344.jpg

Aaand the real troopers danced a little.

eaf8384.jpg