What are your jeans doing today?

ninetynine

Short answer is that I do "research". Slightly longer answer: I work for an international organization that conducts impact assessments of development projects. We basically link academics (mostly economists from top American universities) with implementing development organizations around the world. We'll partner with local NGOs, international NGOs (such as the World Bank), local government, microfinance banks, or any other organization that wants to conduct some sort of development project, and we will design and implement a project with them that allows us to conduct an academically rigorous evaluation of whether it works - usually using randomized controlled trials as an experimental method.

So I was hired to run 2 of these projects on the ground here in Uganda. And most of the time I am an absolute fucking head-case with stress! Workin' my ass off...

From a handful of pages ago... not being bitchy, just lazy ;)

@ dkatz - fantastic posts from you, buddy! Can't re-rep just yet! BTW - delete some crap from your mailbox - it's full!

does it have to be a Beatle ??

1354839258_b7e0ef637f.jpg

Hmmmm....

Great denim? Check.

Cute kid? Check.

Iconic 4 wheeled vehicle? Check.

Beatle? Oh yeah!

Markus - poster for your kids room is ready! :)

dkatz amazing update as usual. Very cool to see such a different place.

Took my jade in for it's annual check up today and got the chance to see some amazing trees. Some over 100 years old and many of them going for $10,000+.

2mdhx77.jpg

2gv8zdg.jpg

Took a refresher class

fwkp37.jpg

Then walked around and looked at the specimens

ztuivm.jpg

mini forest

2lo3g41.jpg

this daddy cost $13K!

nmck7m.jpg

more in the greenhouse

sw4e9v.jpg

2yn1ono.jpg

fx4a41.jpg

2ztksc7.jpg

From yesterday....

Got off to a grumpy start, because I forgot to pick up milk the night before.. Had to have my raisin bran with the kiddo's chocolate milk...

raisinbran.jpg

It had gotten incredibly cold - we went up north, where it was - gasp - spitting flecks of snow! Fit pic:

waywt1-24.jpg

The SC sherpa shirts are all-time favorites - great layer for the very cold, shirt/jacket for cool weather:

SCdetail.jpg

On our drive north, we stopped at Chapters to pick up a book for our little girl. Pups were anxious to get going!

waitingincar.jpg

We took the pups to a super-nice dog park: double gates, wood chips, the works - great place.

park1-1.jpg

Our little girl was into the new book on Greek mythology....

reading.jpg

After a few hours of romping around, we headed home. My LVC's had now accumulated two months worth of toxic Don River splashes, food accidents, and about 50 different samples of dog saliva... They needed a soak, at least...

So I killed 2 birds with one stone!

handwash.jpg

The for some R&R....

beer.jpg

Cheers!

sup riff, dkatz, morse. looks like a great time.

great stuff, great stuff, great stuff everybody! well, here's another barrage of photos from a scatterbrained outing today. part car trip, part bike trip. alot of drinking on the way with some different buddies produced some decent shots, and some not so decent. anyway, here.

first things first. it was a FUCKING wonderful day in MPLS.

IMG_8432-Version2.jpg?t=1271646516

MPLS skyline from highway 94 (yes as I was driving)

IMG_8552-Version2.jpg?t=1271646587

The Saint Paul Cathedral

IMG_8540-Version2.jpg?t=1271646647

St. Paul High Bridge

IMG_8457-Version2.jpg?t=1271646737

Today's fit pic

IMG_8452-Version2.jpg?t=1271646824

continued on next post with my shots from the day....ha.

+rep, Z, are those shots from minneapolis? the carving is incredible.

Lowertown saint paul, actually. Beneath the post office railroad tracks by the river.

This weekend my jeans and I celebrated all things Japanese.

Friday night:

4533561503_00b041e7b3_o.jpg

A crazy jihorror film from the '70s- like H. R. Puffenstuff x Evil Dead - puppets + Japanese schoolgirls.

Saturday:

4533561773_1ec4cdce48_o.jpg

SF Cherry Blossom Festival Queens in Japantown.

4533561697_d86daef084_o.jpg

Drummers.

4533575359_c2171ee440_o.jpg

4533561807_4d789fd4fa_o.jpg

Manga girls.

4533561943_86d0baca71_o.jpg

Final parade float.

4534196780_d89b130f4d_o.jpg

4534196812_f5a54d85ac_o.jpg

Lunch.

4534196940_e5be18281e_o.jpg

Drank Sapporo in the sun, watched a troop of 5-8 year old Geishas dance, ate teriyaki ribs cooked and served by an Irish fireman. Does it get any better than that?

awesome posts roy and Z. teh bacl and white pics could be out of a lynch movie. awesome.

roy great pics, so cool you guys over there have the kinokunya stores. the fireman has a great belt. love the duck jacket.

out of rep for you guys sorry must.....

so, not exactly what my jeans did today but the computer was having problems the past week, so i couldnt upload my pictures for nuts.

took a trip down to melbourne a couple of weeks back with the girlfriend, had loads of fun and tons to eat. it was better than sydney (where i am on holiday currently) in terms of shopping and the arts scene and stuff like that, so i was pretty pleased. stayed over at a friends place and got her to show us around this nice little city.

_MG_1618.jpg

tried to get a shot at the viewing halls where we took a budget airliner across to melbourne. we were on a night flight so when we got to her place it was pretty late at night and slept in till we got up the next day to hang around.

_MG_1679.jpg

went to her friend's place, whom had the cutest little dog. it was short legged, had a bristly coat and was the friendliest little thing around.

_MG_1685.jpg

headed to somewhere around st kilda's area, where there was a beach and had breakfast. this was one hell of a burger even though im not a huge fan of beetroot. the patty was amazing. pretty much one of the juiciest patties i ever had.

_MG_1688.jpg

stumbled around the area where the girls did a bit of thrift shopping. apparently melbourne was one of the better places to do this but there wasn't much for guys though.

_MG_1935.jpg

trudged around the beach for a bit but didn't get many pictures because it wasnt anything to shout about (no offence) but on the bright side i got to try the best vanilla slice in the county (apparently what they claim to be). thing was pretty amazing, tasted kind of like custard but a lot stickier.

_MG_1701.jpg

after hanging about st kilda, we took a tram back to the city area where our friends were taking us to this quaint little bookstore that had tons of good books and some nice yoshitomo nara postcards. kinda nice warm little shop to hang around.

went to explore the building only to find out that there was a launch of a little store cum magazine launch happening upstairs. managed to grab a couple of pictures along the way.

_MG_1709.jpg

_MG_1707.jpg

_MG_1957.jpg

got hungry again and tried this place called lord of the fries. the first few bites were kinda good but as we started having a few more bites, the taste got kinda sickening, so we walked around a bit more and the best find we ever had was coming up.

_MG_1954.jpg

these were the cutest mini cupcakes. the presentation of it was really ace and the best part was that they tasted good. if theres anybody from melbourne here, this is the one near flinder's station. across the road and right down one of the little alleys. had three in the shop and bought a shitload after that for snacks at night.

that was kind of how i spent the second day in melbourne. pretty nice place to be on holiday. nice laidback place with full of nice cafes.

Happy 420 Sufu :)

Been busy getting ready for the upcoming season. Snapped some quick ones today with my phone.

IMG_01470.jpg

#2 :D

IMG_04616.jpg

Seeding these 324 cell trays have occupied most of my time lately.

IMG_04169.jpg

Vacuum seeder I rigged up to save alot of time. Different sized plates for different seeds/trays. ^Empty here.

IMG_01465.jpg

Simply run the vacuum while moving the seeds back a forth on the plate. Think of a "panning for gold' motion.:) Seeds all lined up and stuck in place.

IMG_04617.jpg

Keep the vac running until its laid over the tray and...

IMG_04168.jpg

...turn the vacuum off and the seeds should fall into their cell for the most part. I usually fix the bouncers with a pair of tweezers. Some seeds bounce a lot more then others. Especially these pelleted tomato seeds, but much better then doing it all by hand.

IMG_01472.jpg

Wired a sewing machine foot pedal to turn the vac on and off. I use my thigh instead(better denim fades).

IMG_04176.jpg

Cover em up with peatlite and throw them on the germination bed...

IMG_01473.jpg

Should look like this in about a week.

IMG_04178.jpg

After a long day of seeding. The hybrids come in what looks like script bottles. Vicodin? Sup Artie:D

IMG_01474.jpg

About 60,000 pepper plants that will be sold to local farms as is. Only sell them like this wholesale.

IMG_04179.jpg

What I don't sell to local farmers or plant on my own farm are transfered into these for plant sales. A 48 cell tray or 8 "6 packs". These should be ready for opening day. I hope... t-minus 3 weeks.