thick sweaters

Servo2000

I was thinking of this for winter too and decided to have a handknitted Inverallan Aran made

I chose the most grandpaesque diamond stitch style in an aran tweed called treacle

the website is a bit low on info but if you call or email they have a few hundred styles of sweater and cardigan and im sure an equal choice of wools

they are not all chunky and trad google.jp it for an idea

i'm personally not looking for chunky or grandpa esque

1907016-rescaledpic-375x564.jpg

this is looking like about the right level of thickness (i'd be satisfied with even a bit smaller) but more visvim / undercover and less grandpa in the styling / details

i've handled that sweater at work and it's actually awesome, get it in 44 and it'd work.

dismal is the one you got wool. saw one on yahoo jp that was some kind of synthetic propylene

older mmm knits manufactured by miss deanna are good. they pop up on ebay once in a while

some of raf's knits are good when they don't feel like you're wearing crabs. gotta try them on in person

veronique knits are nice as well. same manufacturer as raf's made by gyseman's in belgium

I think mine is a runway or press sample or something, it's from Y! jp too but it has 'Otto S.P.L.' tags on it with some other Italian shit and no care tags. The yarns have a synthetic look to them, but the thing is knit immaculately, and it really is quite warm when you wear it with a white button down, like the runway pic up there...

I don't think buying designer (unless it's raf) thick knits is worth it; sooo easy to find awesome, thick as fuck vintage sweaters in thrift stores. Sure, you gotta look around a bit to find something that fits, but it pays off. I got this ooold eddie bauer one that is so godamn warm, color is great too (mottled grey, kinda like oatmeal!). Too bad the fit isn't spot on, I need another couple of inches for it to be really perfect.

waywt4201.jpg?t=1254288712

It is worth buying nice knits if you can afford them, and they're from a place where good knits are traiditionally made. Once you try some long-fiber goodness, it's tough going back to $20 Uniqlo sweaters (which I do, due to my 'no more expensive inner layers' policy)

I was thinking of this for winter too and decided to have a handknitted Inverallan Aran made

I chose the most grandpaesque diamond stitch style in an aran tweed called treacle

the website is a bit low on info but if you call or email they have a few hundred styles of sweater and cardigan and im sure an equal choice of wools

they are not all chunky and trad google.jp it for an idea

Have you received yours yet? What's the quality and fit like? The prices seem pretty reasonable for a hand knit.

I only ordered recentley and it usually takes 6-8 weeks I figure it'll be cold enough by then

as regards fit I wasnt too bothered but body length and sleeve are adjustable when you order you can also add extra details like rollneck or a belt on a cardigan for £4 a go

I only ordered recentley and it usually takes 6-8 weeks I figure it'll be cold enough by then

as regards fit I wasnt too bothered but body length and sleeve are adjustable when you order you can also add extra details like rollneck or a belt on a cardigan for £4 a go

That's cool that you can ask them for different body/sleeve lengths. More traditional type jumpers usually fit like crap on me; either they are too wide in the body or, if they are slim enough in the body, they're too short in the body/arms. I'd be interest to see your thoughts on the jumper when you get it as I'd consider placing an order with them myself.

Servo, I like that OC one. You're right though, the balloon shaped torso in the OC site pictures would be a concern. It's a shame you can't make out the fit from the Oak pic as the model is dicking around with the neck.

• 2 months later...

still waiting on the inverallan

i suppose thats to be expected as anything ive has custom made has taken a lot longer than planned

but i expect it to look like this

img55654838.jpg

but brown

I also picked up a Jamieson's fair isle

10605-1-900.jpg

because i love the pattern

shetland wool is itchy as fuck but ridiculously warm also it breathes very well which suprised me

another shtland knitwear company prevalent in jp but seemingly unknown at home is Anderson's

who's Everest sweater is a replica of the one worn by edmund hillary

I think it's a nice simple shape and next on my list

FireShotcapture002-andersonse1grnq_.png

123a.jpg