Fake vintage Levi's. At Urban Outfitters!

Paul T

having had dozens of people tell me obviously dodgy Levi's were genuine in recent threads, I really started to doubt myself when I walked into Urban outfitters on Oxford S in London and saw some nice, but also extremely suspect jeans. £180 sterling. That's $300. Selvage visible on coin pocket, typcal dodgy white leather 201 two-horse patch etc etc.

The 'expert' told me they were genuine. I asked if they came from Levi's - maybe LVC Japan had started some weird repro range I didn't know about? No, these were genuine vintage, she told me, came from a new source in Eastern Europe. Right.

Called a contact who calls in counterfeits for Levi's. Turns out this is the second time it has happened; they had a batch of Indonestian fakes before Christmas, which they pulled off sale as soon as they were informed. They will be informed tomorrow morning.

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, these fakes are so prevalent they had to turn up in a big store sooner or later. There now seem to be far more dodgy vintage Levi's circulating than the genuine article. As someone said a couple thousand years ago, caveat emptor...

I've seen a bunch of this stuff on eBay. But let me get this straight...Urban Outfitters was purchasing jeans from who? I'm confused as to if Urb actually thought these were well worn vintage levi's...like some sort of collector now distributing dozens of worn vintage jeans...all the same cut and model...to Urban Outfitters. I don't understand who, at urban outfitters made such an awful mistake?

Don't know if they buy centrally, or per store. The previous lot were from an American jobber... the jeans had gone thru a circuitous route but apparently came from Indonesia. The explanation? Quite simply ignorance, I guess.

Did Urban Outfitters do a 'homage' to Johnny Cupcake?

Edited by Paul T on Feb 22, 2006 at 02:53 AM

Quote: Last time i was at urban outfitters i saw fake diesels, people returns fake jeans from ebay or somtin and make profits

haha, i did that with best buy, bought some broken shit on ebay, and returned it. make quite a lot of money. honestly, i don't see any reason to shop at Urban Outfitter apart from the sale they have from time to time that are quite good. i'm not surprised at all they would try to sell fake stuff. anyway, i'm sure management is probably some old dude who now nothing about streetwear.

Quote:

http://www.urbancounterfeiters.com/

--- Original message by Cue on Feb 22, 2006 05:06 AM

Wow, the stuff on Dov Charney was, pardon the redundancy of my wording, FUCKING RIDICULOUS. I'm wearing an "aa" sweatshirt as we speak...each and every article made me question whether or not I should take the thing off and trash it. Unfortunately it's the only Hoody I've got and until I have the financial Capabilites to toss it...I won't. But don't expect me to be buying mad shit from American Apparel any longer...