american football (nfl)

yanni

while not trying to defend alex smith in any way, because i think he sucks... rodgers did benefit greatly from being in the same system this entire time. he had the luxury of riding the bench for a few years, learning the system, and ever since he's started playing he's been under the same coach, personnel, terms, system, etc. whereas alex smith has gone through what... like 6 different offensive coordinators in his time in SF?

no disagreement her about the importance of stability of a system and coordinators, but just looking at the balls that each player throws and alex smith cant even throw a WR screen pass properly. He did score the higeston the wonderlic test so im not doubting his smarts but physically i dont think hes anywhere near Rodgers. That could also due to Mccarthy being a good QB coach and the knock out of college that all Tedford Cal QBs suck in the NFL, but once Rodgers adjusted his mechanics and didnt drop back with the ball up above his shoulder, hes been muh improved. I just never knewif he was going to be durable enough to play a full season. His first sign significant action against the Ravens in year 2 ended up with a broken foot. Certainly not what Im use to with Favre play every week under center.

Rodgers prob has the tightest spirl in the league and i dont know if there is a better QB that throws better on the run.

yeah, i think you pretty much hit the nail on the head there with cutler

i think orton is okay, but he has to be put in a position to succeed. he's a smart QB, but he is very limited physically as to what he can do. if he was on a team with a great defense and a great running game, i think he could do quite well, but my broncos are in such bad shape he really has no chance. i want to move forward with tebow. although tebow is extremely raw, and has a ton of work to do in order to become an effective pocket passer, he has already shown an innate ability to lead those around him to play at a higher level. plus the kid is just downright exciting to watch.

agreed on that. i don't think he is a bad QB, i just think it's very unlikely that he ever lives up to his full "potential" which everyone loves clamoring about so much

Im not compeltely sold on Tebow yet. Granted i was watching the Packers and not the Broncos the last few games of the year but i saw a little of the Broncos games. Yea he fixed his motion, but his delivery went back to the Florida days once he got into the game with the loop in his throw. He has played a lot better than i would have expected for sure. i didnt think he would have been as good as he was the last couple games of the year. that was a surprise to me. (of course I'm biased being a Florida State fan and Tebow owning all of college football for 4 years) but he looked like a leader out there. Orton has a noodle arm but he can manage a game well enougn to win. Plus surprisingly Orton isnt that old. Seems like hes been in the league forever.

Sadly, I agree. This is a hot button issue here on sports talk radio -- will Cutler ever do enough to tighten his game up and become one of the truly elite QBs. Prevailing wisdom says no, he will not.

Orton is a good player, and a good guy, but he needs a great team around him.

Orton reminds me of Dilfer or even a better Shaun Hill. game manager, noodle arm (Ortons prob got a stronger arm than Hill) but will find ways to keep the team in the game.

Broncos defense on the other hand, thats another story

I'm surprised no one has responded to the Roethlisberger stuff. That guy is such a fucking douche bag. I used to root for the Steelers, provided the Bears weren't involved, but no more. They cut loose Santonio Holmes for pot, but keep a rapist on the roster?

Rodgers can certainly throw while on the run. Orton does have a noodle arm, but guy can hang in there.

caleb haine representin my alma mater blaaaaaaat

a few thoughts on today's games:

1. greg jennings put da team on his back doe

2. jay cutler is still a fucking wimp that looks like he just woke up always

3. the jets were so pathetic i was actually happy for the steelers, even though i hate all of them.

4. fuck big ben and his rapist ways

5. go BRONCOS!

yea cutler is real good

you are aware that he missed half the game, correct? I have to assume, given your post, that you missed the second half. That is to say, I want to believe that you missed the second half. You see, I'm the sort of guy who likes to give everyone the benefit of the doubt, and who wants to believe that most people possess at least the dim, flickering capacity for an occasional cogent thought. Were I to find any individual willing to discount a player based on the outcome of a game he could not finish, I would be forced to reconsider this belief and resign myself to the sad, misanthropic truth that most people are hopelessly idiotic.

destructodisk -- yeah, Cutler had all Bears fans pissed when he went out but couldn't be fucking bothered to put a head set on to help his team and fellow QB get after the Green Bay D. And shit, he does always look like he just woke up. I've never thought of that, but it's true. That being said, I'm glad he isn't a rapist. How in hell can Pittsburgh fans justify rooting for a guy who has been accused on three separate occasions of raping women?

Chantheman -- congrats. I caught some of the post-game interview with coach McCarthy and was pleased with how classy he was, and how well the Packers appeared to comport themselves. I have to confess, that was a fucking brutal game to watch as a Bears fan. I mean shit, we played terribly for most all of it. And Todd fucking Collins -- I never want to see that jagoff in a Bears uniform again. The Packers looked good, but not great. They certainly played a smart game and, surprisingly, performed exceedingly well on special teams. I, along with most of the talking heads here in Chicago, felt that the Bears would run roughshod over the Pack's special teams unit, and that Hester would end up having a good day. He did have one nice return, but little else.

This sort of loss -- one in which your team is outplayed and outcoached, yet still has an opportunity to tie things up late -- is always the worst. The play calling during the last Bears drive was fucking garbage. 3rd and 3 and they run an end around? Forte had a hell of a game, was clearly the most effective Bear all day, and should have been targeted. Hanie played reasonably well for a 3rd string QB, but hell, that was Forte's moment.

You should hear what's happening right now on sports talk radio. I'm convinced that the dumbest people on this fucking planet are those who call into sports talk. It's funny, but also a little disheartening to know that these people are OUT THERE -- roaming the streets wild-eyed, muttering darkly about bum knees and cheese heads.

josh mullen; I couldn't agree more with that last paragraph. My Facebook minifeed is blown up with bitches hating on Jay Cutler. Nobody is talking about how well Urlacher or Forte played. I'm sure that today's game was the first that they watched this season. Kinda just like how everyone hopped on that Blackhawks bandwagon last year.

@mullen

I honestly read two lines of your jibberish and I stopped. No one wants to read an essay BRO. Yes, I did watch the whole game and Cutler did suck it up.

How in hell can Pittsburgh fans justify rooting for a guy who has been accused on three separate occasions of raping women?

Once again, Please STFU about the rape thing. I'm neither a Pitt nor Roethlisburger fan. The only thing he's guilty of is being an idiot. Those drunken floozies that he encountered on those three separate occasions saw dollar signs in their eyes. If there was any kind of legitimate evidence that he raped anyone he would of been charged. Plain and simple. If I'm correct one of them tried to milk about a Half Mill out of him. no?

i was really hoping cutler or collins would have played the 2nd half. my friend said if they are going to put in collins they might as well put in caleb hanie. culter didnt look that good in the first half, collins isnt nearly mobile enough to elude the pressure coming so i knew by default i would rather see either one of them than hanie. i give hanie credit he played as well as any fan could as given the circumstances and compared to how the other bears qb's played.

much rather have the jets playing in 2 weeks instead of the steelers. dirty sanchez is more likely to fuck up than ben is. should be a good game either way.

Once again, Please STFU about the rape thing. I'm neither a Pitt nor Roethlisburger fan. The only thing he's guilty of is being an idiot. Those drunken floozies that he encountered on those three separate occasions saw dollar signs in their eyes. If there was any kind of legitimate evidence that he raped anyone he would of been charged. Plain and simple. If I'm correct one of them tried to milk about a Half Mill out of him. no?

no, absolutely. Women aren't victimized, they simply get what they ask for, and more importantly, what they deserve. It's obvious that they -- and by "they" I of course mean all women -- target Roethlisberger, and only Roethlisberger. Nor are women ever victimized by a system that has historically sided with, and ruled on behalf of, the accused. Again, they've only gotten what they've asked for -- no more and no less. Seems fair. It's also important to note that Roethlisberger's celebrity status could never have influenced local, small town redneck police in their investigation of allegations made against him.

Yes, there are some head cases willing to use rape accusations to extort celebrities. However, unless serious evidence exists to prove the accusation spurious, I believe most would agree it is absolutely necessary to treat it -- or in this specific instance, them -- seriously.

Chantheman -- Yeah, Hanie played better than I thought he would. It is common knowledge here that Hanie isn't thought of very highly by Bears management -- not that that means a whole fuck of a lot -- and that the organization has little faith in him as a back up. But hell, he did do okay given the circumstances. The pick 6 to that fat prick Raji was a killer, and a bad throw, period. Cutler looked shaky in the first half, but I think he would have tightened his shit up as the game progressed. It's pointless to go into counterfactuals, but it does blow knowing that we lost without our best QB on the field. I like that the NFC north should -- thanks to both teams -- garner more respect next season. The NFC east is over-rated, or at least it was this year.

Yeah, I've seen that stuff. That shit pissed me off -- watching Cutler sitting on the sideline in his parka, seemingly detached from what was happening on the field. I don't know what the injury was, but fuck, it better have been some serious shit. This happened to the Bears in the Super Bowl -- Cedric Benson suffered a phantom knee injury in the first half and didn't see the field in the second. Urlacher let Jones-Drew and the others have it after the game, and I agree that other players would be better served keeping their mouths shut, but it doesn't really seem necessary to speak out.

I've just heard that Cutler suffered a tear of his MCL. If true, he shouldn't catch anymore shit about "giving up" yesterday.

Yes, heard the presser. The Bears are doing all they can to demonstrate what a fucking joke they are as an organization. Whoever is responsible for advising Lovie in the PR department should be out of a fucking job. A sprain is a partial tear, and should have been described as such. If for no other reason than to take some of the heat of Cutler. No one can say that he quit -- the Bears have said that he tried to come back out to play, received a shot, but was told 'no' by the trainers and coaching staff. The idiots are out in full force today -- calling in to let everyone know that if they had been out there things would have been different, that they would have played through the injury. What a fucking joke.

Still, Cutler didn't play well. If people want to discuss how poorly he played in the first half, fine. But to question his manhood (what the fuck is wrong with football fans?) is idiotic.

i can question his manhood all i was cause he straight punked out on my team. fuck him.

but the heat he's taking right now is a bit over the top. if anything, [bears] fans should be pissed that collins was listed as the #2 guy when it's obvious he's complete garbage. as soon as hanie was inserted at the end of the 3rd quarter, cutler could not have gone back in anyway (emergency QB rule). if hanie is the #2 guy, and he gets in the game sooner... the bears maybe win that game.

Holy shit. Thats great. I've learned this week that bears fans are among the most fucking idiotic people walking this planet. Seriously, I'm glad I don't have any children.

I was going to write something about how badly the national media has handled Cutler Gate over the course of the last five days, but I'm lazy. Instead, I'll re-post something I read elsewhere, a criticism of that twat Trent Dilfer's treatment of Cutler this week that I believe successfully makes the most salient point to come out of all this: NFL players and commentators should wait until the facts of a situation are known before leaping to wildly baseless judgments, regardless of their pre-existing opinions of a player. That jagoff Jason Whitlock appeared on a Chicago sports talk show this week -- Boers & Berstein of WSCR -- and attempted to defend the premise of his article concerning Cutler's injury. Needless to say, he was eviscerated and made to look like a complete fool. But anyway, back to this guy's take on Dilfer's reaction:

"Okay, I've put off watching any sports show till now. Didn't want to hear what the idiot 'experts' were talking about until the facts surrounding Jay Cutlers injury came out.

Well, needless to say, they didn't fail. TRENT DILFER of all people criticized him on Sportsline. I'm sure most of you saw that. I'm also sure that a good bunch of you hung on every word and completely agreed with him. Well, let's see what really going on. The following is what Dilfer said, VERBATIM, on SC.

'I have no doubt he was hurt. I've had two MC... two MCL sprains, okay. I know the pain he's going through. But here's the difference. Great players thrive when things are tough. Great players fight, claw, scratch, do anything they can to be in the game, to be competing, it brings out the best in himnm. You can shoot it up, you can take vicadin, you can tape it up, put a brace on, go out there, fight. Make them physically pull me off the field. That's what I want to see, that's what you want to see, that's what the fan base wants to see in Chicago...'

I mean, he says this like he's the great player and Cutler is a pussy.

Well mister Dilfer, let's take a look at your MCL sprains. Oh wait, you've only sprained your MCL ONCE...

And here's how it went: Dilfer was injured in the second quarter when hit by Indianapolis defensive linemen Chad Bratzke and James Cannida. He crumpled to the turf clutching his knee.

Oh, and that one was classified as a 2nd degree sprain. Just like the one Cutler got. And, you didn't return in that game. And how long was it until you played again? Oh, and you didn't fight, claw, scratch, or do anything but drop to the ground like the worthless sack of shit that you are and CRY!!!!"