american football (nfl)

yanni

the packers are good, no doubt, but fucking way way way overrated. Rodgers and their offense were shut down by some pretty bad defenses this year, and struggled like hell to score against a bears team who in week 17 didn't give a good fuck about much of anything. i'd certainly give Rodgers the edge over Cutler at this point, and green bay has some nice receivers, but the bears are a better team. the thing they have in common now is that they've both beaten mediocre teams to reach the NFC championship game (yes, seattle is far more mediocre than atlanta, but the falcons were a paper tiger and everyone knew it.)

that starks character may have had a few decent games, but none against a D as capable as that which he'll be facing sunday. forte and taylor, on the other hand, are going nicely now and will continue to roll come sunday.

truth is, these teams really haven't played one another this season. the prevailing sentiment here in chicago is that the bears are now a completely different team than the one that limped into their week 8 bye with a 4-3 record. of course, week 17's game can't be taken too seriously -- the bears held back in every facet of their game. i know the packers have suffered through an extraordinary amount of injuries, but i don't understand all the media love they've been receiving lately. it's going to be one hell of a game, but the bears are gonna pull this shit out 31-24.

as far as the AFC is concerned, it's hard to pick the jets over the steelers. this bothers me -- i mean, cutler is a douche bag, but roethlisberger rapes chicks.

J8wztNZ62qI

the packers are good, no doubt, but fucking way way way overrated. Rodgers and their offense were shut down by some pretty bad defenses this year, and struggled like hell to score against a bears team who in week 17 didn't give a good fuck about much of anything. i'd certainly give Rodgers the edge over Cutler at this point, and green bay has some nice receivers, but the bears are a better team. the thing they have in common now is that they've both beaten mediocre teams to reach the NFC championship game (yes, seattle is far more mediocre than atlanta, but the falcons were a paper tiger and everyone knew it.)

that starks character may have had a few decent games, but none against a D as capable as that which he'll be facing sunday. forte and taylor, on the other hand, are going nicely now and will continue to roll come sunday.

truth is, these teams really haven't played one another this season. the prevailing sentiment here in chicago is that the bears are now a completely different team than the one that limped into their week 8 bye with a 4-3 record. of course, week 17's game can't be taken too seriously -- the bears held back in every facet of their game. i know the packers have suffered through an extraordinary amount of injuries, but i don't understand all the media love they've been receiving lately. it's going to be one hell of a game, but the bears are gonna pull this shit out 31-24.

packers run d is suspect so if the bears stick to the run thats how they can beat the packers. control the clock pound it out and keep the offense off the field. its how atlanta controlled the game in the regular season to victory and i can see the bears doing something similar.

you really believe the bears played their starters the whole game week 17 because they didnt give a fuck? you dont think they wouldnt have wanted to see a giants or bucs team in the playoffs instead of the packers? im not saying the bears didnt play a conservative game but to say they didnt give a fuck, please.

packers offense has been shut down against some bad defenses (redskins, lions, dolphins) but if there was a good time to be running on all cylinders its now.

weather is by biggest concern and would i rather be playing in seattle next week instead of chicago, no doubt, but as long as culter is behind center for the bears the packers are going to be in the game.

preseason pick by a few analysts were the packers to win the super bowl so i dont know how they can be way way overrated.

i really miss jermichael finley right now

it's too easy to dismiss the bears because of cutler's presence. he's been erratic in the past, yes, but he's been damned good since returning from the concussion he suffered against the giants. not only was he good, but for most of the second half of this season there were very quaterbacks as good as he was. rodgers is so good because he doesn't usually make bad decisions. when cutler eliminates the idiotic mistakes he's been prone to making since entering the league i believe he's better than rodgers, and most others at the position because of his serious physical ability. dude has more natural talent than his peers, he just doesn't always pull his head out of his ass long enough to run the offense without fucking everything with a terrible decision. cutler can make throws no other QB can, which can be great, but also frustrating when it becomes clear that over-confidence in his arm is leading him to try things no sensible QB should.

that being said, i don't know many bears fans who wouldn't swap cutler for rodgers without batting an eyelash.

as far week 17 is concerned, clearly the bears wanted to win the game. they just didn't feel it was necessary to attempt to do so making use of aspects of their playbook -- either offensive or defensive -- that they knew would better serve them in the playoffs if kept under wraps. and again, the packers struggled against a bears team that was operating at, i don't know, 60-70%(?) i'm not suggesting that a bears team running at 100% is guaranteed to beat the packers, only that green bay hasn't seen anything near the best that the bears have to offer.

i don't doubt that had the packers remained healthy they would have won the division, or at least finished with a better record.

oh, and your contribution to the zooey deschanel thread was a good one -- oliver peoples ad?

Holy shit, you should be. My friends and I were talking about that last night while watching the packers crush the falcons. I can't believe so many teams passed on Rodgers. Jerry Angelo -- our jagoff Gm -- decided on Cedric Benson, who did little, helped run Thomas Jones out of town, then got himself arrested a few times for partying too hard on his boat down in Texas before being cut loose. Way to go bears. We could have had Rodgers and all the picks we had to give up in order to make the Cutler deal happen.

while not trying to defend alex smith in any way, because i think he sucks... rodgers did benefit greatly from being in the same system this entire time. he had the luxury of riding the bench for a few years, learning the system, and ever since he's started playing he's been under the same coach, personnel, terms, system, etc. whereas alex smith has gone through what... like 6 different offensive coordinators in his time in SF?

as far as rodgers/cutler debate goes... rodgers is the much better QB in my mind... no question. cutler has a ton of physical talent, but rodgers is the much better all around QB. he is more of a rushing threat than cutler, surprisingly, and he can make nearly every throw that cutler can. while both QBs had the luxury of playing with great defense, rodgers' offense was battered heavily by injuries this season but he was the glue that held that team together so to speak. he produced elite numbers with backup talent in many key position such as RB and TE. cutler had an equally awesome defense to play with, combined with what some may argue is the best special teams unit in the league. i commend him for being to tone down his game and doing what is required to win games, instead of chasing stats... but on the same hand he's the text book definition of middle-of-the-road-QB, despite his elite athletic talent.

Cutler is better than "middle-of-the-road." If you were to list the top QBs in the league, who would be above him?

1. Brady

2. P. Manning

3. Brees

4. Rodgers

5. Rivers

6. Roethlisberger (dude is a rapist, and has benefited from playing on an elite team from the beginning of his career.)

I'm sorry, but Vick, Flacco, Eli Manning, Mcnabb (at this point in his career), and Romo all have to fall behind Cutler. Period. So there's no way he's lower than 6-8 on a list of the best QBs.

Ha. Come on. If you were starting a team from scratch and had the opportunity to select any QB, would you really go with Jon Kitna, Kyle Orton, Matt Cassel, Joe Flacco, Josh Freeman, or David Garrard over Cutler? NO ONE WOULD. Your point is well taken, but let's get serious. Those dudes are trash. I mean, Cassel and Flacco both pissed down their legs en route to being bounced from the playoffs.

Yes, I'm a Bears fan, but I'm also capable of recognizing the many flaws of this current team. They have several number 2 & 3 receivers, but nothing approaching a true number 1. And to make matters worse, the O line was an absolute abortion the first 7 seven weeks of the season.

Also, the Bears offense the first 7 games of the season was mis-managed. Lovie sat down with Mike Martz during the bye week and explained that his approach had to be modified to better fit the team's personnel. Bears have gone 8-2 since, with one of those two loses coming in a meaningless week 17 matchup against a Green Bay team fighting to make the playoffs.

Cutler is better than "middle-of-the-road." If you were to list the top QBs in the league, who would be above him?

1. Brady

2. P. Manning

3. Brees

4. Rodgers

5. Rivers

6. Roethlisberger (dude is a rapist, and has benefited from playing on an elite team from the beginning of his career.)

I'm sorry, but Vick, Flacco, Eli Manning, Mcnabb (at this point in his career), and Romo all have to fall behind Cutler. Period. So there's no way he's lower than 6-8 on a list of the best QBs.

With all due respect and I say this kindly..Please GTFO of this thread. You would take Cutler over ROMO,Vick, or even Eli?

How is Roethlisberger a "rapist"? WTF are you talking about.

ha. come on. if you were starting a team from scratch and had the opportunity to select any QB, would you really go with Jon Kitna, Kyle Orton, Matt Cassel, Joe Flacco, Josh Freeman, or David Garrard over Cutler? NO ONE WOULD. Your point is well taken, but let's get serious. Those dudes are trash. I mean, Cassel and Flacco both pissed down their legs en route to being bounced from the playoffs.

also, the Bears offense the first 7 games of the season was mis-managed. Lovie sat down with Mike Martz during the bye week and explained that his approach had to be modified to better fit the team's personnel. Bears have gone 8-2 since, with one of those two loses coming in a meaningless week 17 matchup against a green bay team fighting to make the playoffs.

josh freeman is a pimp. the others are all garbage

i still wouldn't build a team around cutler. he hasn't improved on any aspect of his game since his rookie season. he still makes piss poor decisions. his footwork is crap. he still makes those classic jay cutler right-to-the-DB interceptions. wouldn't know how to look off a safety to save his life. his leadership isn't that great. plus the guy is just an all-around dick.

disclaimer: broncos fan

Broncos fan? What do you think of Orton? I always liked him while he was here.

And believe me, I completely get where you're coming from. Cutler is a fucking douche bag. Some of my friends met him and TE Greg Olson here in Chicago, and Cutler was a cock sucker to them for no reason. His biggest problem is that he seems resistant to advice. Dude has so much to improve on, and could easily be one of the 3-4 best in the league, but he feels like he knows best and doesn't need to work at getting better.

phongables -- Roethlisberger has some serious issues. I'm a 'where there is smoke, there is usually fire' sort of person, and really, how does one guy get accused several times of something so heinous without doing anything to warrant those accusations? I understand that there are some women who target pro athletes, but come on, he's the only one they're after? How many other current NFL QBs have been accused of rape on 3 or 4 different occasions? Cutler may be a prick and a complete jagoff, but at least he isn't a criminal.

http://www.politicolnews.com/roethlisberger-3rd-rape/

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/32086669/ns/sports-nfl/

http://socialmediaseo.net/2010/04/16/did-ben-roethlisberger-commit-rape/

http://www.newsweek.com/blogs/the-human-condition/2010/04/28/raina-disapproves-how-police-handled-the-roethlisberger-rape-allegations.html

Eli Manning? yes. That limp dick rode a world-class defense to a super bowl victory and has consistently shat the bed since. Vick? Dude is fucking human garbage and should be in prison. Period. Not to mention that once the league had a chance to catch his act and scheme for it, Vick was basically neutralized thereafter. Romo? He's a good player, for sure, but i'm not sold on him as a legit super bowl QB. To be clear, I'm not sold on Cutler either. I'm only saying that all this "cutler is a bad QB" sentiment is bullshit.

Broncos fan? What do you think of Orton? I always liked him while he was here.

And believe me, I completely get where you're coming from. Cutler is a fucking douche bag. Some of my friends met him and TE Greg Olson here in Chicago, and Cutler was a cock sucker to them for no reason. His biggest problem is that he seems resistant to advice. Dude has so much to improve on, and could easily be one of the 3-4 best in the league, but he feels like he knows best and doesn't need to work at getting better.

yeah, i think you pretty much hit the nail on the head there with cutler

i think orton is okay, but he has to be put in a position to succeed. he's a smart QB, but he is very limited physically as to what he can do. if he was on a team with a great defense and a great running game, i think he could do quite well, but my broncos are in such bad shape he really has no chance. i want to move forward with tebow. although tebow is extremely raw, and has a ton of work to do in order to become an effective pocket passer, he has already shown an innate ability to lead those around him to play at a higher level. plus the kid is just downright exciting to watch.

To be clear, I'm not sold on Cutler either. I'm only saying that all this "cutler is a bad QB" sentiment is bullshit.
agreed on that. i don't think he is a bad QB, i just think it's very unlikely that he ever lives up to his full "potential" which everyone loves clamoring about so much