Vans Syndicate 2 pics...

eastcoastrider27

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mad stiff! I got a blister on my heel after a few days of wearing them.

I would much prefer skating in regular Sk8-hi's or half cabs, because the gum sole and flexibility of the suede offer more board feel. I really can't imagine wearing through the Ballistics though. The rubberized leather seems like it could stop a bullet.

I probably should have bought a half size up, but I figure after a few days of breaking them in they'll be better.

Still love em though!

Thanks for the review- I've been blowing holes in my shoes because I drag way hard when I pop, just because that's how I feel most in control and all, and I was almost considering buying a pair of Nike Zoom Tre's just because of that weird hard plastic/rubber stuff that's supposed to be mega-durable and grippy, but I think I'd rather stay true to my roots and go with the Ballistics...

Yeah I was looking at those Zoom Tre's too, but I'll never sacrifice board feel for durability. (maybe they have good board feel as well)

In my years of skating, and countless pairs of shoes, I've gone back to skating Half Cabs.

I'll probably need new knees by the time I'm 30, but I'll deal with that when the time comes.

The Zoom Tre's allegedly are God's gift to skateboarders' lower body health according to a couple of friends of mine, but I'm still wary about Nike and their seemingly sudden re-entry into the skateboarding market.

Edited by onemancult on Apr 2, 2006 at 08:04 PM

I've actually skated in the E-cues, and they were pretty good for a couple of reasons...

-The "cage" makes it nearly impossible to blow out the upper.

-The zoom air was good at absorbing shock.

-And most importantly, the sole was so close to the ground that I never rolled my ankles.

But...

-They were heavy

-The molded toe made it hard to feel your board

-And the zoom air would get kind of soggy after long days of skating

It seems like the Zoom Tre is an upgrade from the E-cue, but since I'm not really hucking myself down staircases anymore, I'll stick with Half Cabs.

because it's covered in rubber mesh, is not a mid/high-top, and doesn't have a (in my eyes), classic-enough look to it (purely subjective). i've got no problem whatsoever w/Nike or their involvement in skateboarding, and for a technical skateboard shoe I think the zoom tre is well done...just ain't my style is all.

It is a really retarded looking shoe, but I'm kind of considering picking them up and at least giving them a shot. The thing with teched-out shoes like the Zoom Tre is that I feel it's like a step in the direction of other sports shoes, where every new model has more and more abstract bells and whistles on it, to the point where it looks like you have miniature UFO's on your feet... the 'classic' look, as you said, is important to me too.

I'm mostly down for the rubber mesh, after so much time spent tearing gaping holes in brand new shoes off of one or two sessions... how soon before more well-established skate shoe brands pick up on the use of 'indestructible' materials?

...time for me to shutup and hunt down some ballistics, too.

yeah props to Nike for putting the same level of research and technology into skate footwear as they do with footwear for other sports... but as for tearing up brand new shoes, discrete application of Shoe Goo at opportune times can makes shoes last soooo much longer than they would otherwise. and Shoe Goo prejudice is for suckers, I'll say that right now. Tragic Bliss feels me on this i'm sure, esp on the Eras. Canvas chukkas have lasted me a while w/the stuff.

Quote:

yeah props to Nike for putting the same level of research and technology into skate footwear as they do with footwear for other sports... but as for tearing up brand new shoes, discrete application of Shoe Goo at opportune times can makes shoes last soooo much longer than they would otherwise. and Shoe Goo prejudice is for suckers, I'll say that right now. Tragic Bliss feels me on this i'm sure, esp on the Eras. Canvas chukkas have lasted me a while w/the stuff.

--- Original message by rhythmandsound on Apr 3, 2006 11:56 AM

I love eras and wear them causually and dont like having 'skate' and 'casual' shoes so i just skate in my eras and they just fall apart pretty quick, but they are cheap so i get a bunch of pairs. i never bothered with shoe goo and dont plan on it. still looking for a pair in natural/white though for the summer. I guess the auithentics will do, but they arent skateable.

i dont do too many tricks that wreck my shoes though. i used to be one of those parking lot kids just kickfliping or 3 flipping or whatever in a lot, but now i just like to ride around and do the occasional flip trick and ollie down curbs/steps.

my favourite things

http://mfthings.blogspot.com/

Quote: I haven't used Shoe Goo in a minute.

how long does a pair of vans last you then?

i was able to get a bit of life out of the regular half-cabs w/out touching them up 'cause they're so wide, but w/pretty much every other pair of vans, including the syndicate halfcabs, since they're narrower, i can only get a handful of sessions in before i'm all the way through the upper....

Edited by rhythmandsound on Apr 3, 2006 at 01:45 PM

lol. Not that long at all.

Regular half cabs have a low profile, and have a pretty chunky midsole which takes the brunt of the abuse. But they're usually blown out after 2-3 weeks of skating.

I draw the line when I start seeing blood on my socks. That's when I just buy a new pair and use the old pair for mowing my lawn.