Summer Blockbuster Superthread!

I figure instead of clogging up multiple threaks with our movie opinions we'd get em all in here!

to the people complaining about transformers, i just don't get it. I didn't pay to go see some oscar worthy enthralling plot, i went to see a giant robot deathmatch, and guess what happened...a giant robot deathmatch!!

Public enemies- going to see that in a few hours with my little brother, can't wait. Johnny Depp is one of the few actor whose movies i'll go watch without much provocation

G.I.- I just want to go see the scene where they're dodging missiles in those accelerator suits

others?

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw The Hangover a couple weeks ago. Laughed a lot and almost got kicked out of the theaters because my friends were laughing so loud. Very funny movie, everyone should watch it! Transformer was also good.

public enemies was fucking atrocious. no character development, painfully obvious foreboding, bad script, shit love interest...i was in total disbelief when i looked at my watch afterwards and i'd been in that goddam theatre for 3 hours

Well then I guess I won't bother with the book.

Seriously though, Heat told almost the exact same story, except it actually managed to paint an emotional and sympathetic view of the robbers. Did anyone really want Val Kilmer or Robert DeNiro to go down? No, the movie managed to build characters on both sides of the law in a way that got the audience to identify.

Did anyone give two shits if Johnny Depp or (insert unknown actor here) went down? I certainly didn't. Nor did I care if Bale got his man. I just wanted Dillinger to die already so I could go home and not hear any more from the crummy script.

the proposal was very watchable

it was more entertaining than transformers

Yo I have to cosign on this. I literally left Transformers 2 without a single memory of what happened other than 2 hot chicks bending over and some robot balls. Seriously, if you asked me what the plot of the movie was right now I still couldn't fully tell you. I've never experienced a movie so forgettable.

i completely disagree with clopek about public enemies. to say that it was atrocious, had no character development and even a bad script is completely exaggerated and unreasonable. the cinematography was beautiful and the script, which did have flaws, did justice to the events. also, what's up with comparing it to heat? "oh, they're both films about bank robbing" um no they're vastly different and to expect a movie like heat out of public enemies is obviously going to set you up for a disappointment. with that said i feel like they should have focused a little more on the infamous prison breaks.

i don't know, i could be wrong but i thoroughly enjoyed the film and find it slightly disconcerting that you're that offended by the film. however it's really not that big of a deal seeing as your "move of the year" is drag me to hell. heh.

bastards is supposed to be a lot of fun, over the top nazi killing QT war movie, high light of the summer movies to me.

transformers one was perhaps the worst written film ever, but if you take in to account that it was scripted for a international audience it makes some sense why it was so lacking... if part two is just giant robots fighting, im happy, fuck M fox, fuck a plot, i just want robots.

i would not consider PE to be a summer blockbuster aside from the cast, do kids want to see this? i do, but not really so badly.

gi joe looks like it could be cool, but the power suit angle is just so out there, why even call it gi joe? make up something else... brandning i guess, but not part of what was, i want them all to wear those silly unique costumes like the figures... just me, quaid is good, would see it for him alone.

the hangover was fun, but hardly the amazing funny thing people are making it out to be, its good, but not amazing, decent.

i am excited for a movie i dont know about, the suprise hit of the summer, thats what im waiting for, what it is, i dont know, but its out there. lurking.

i don't know, i could be wrong but i thoroughly enjoyed the film and find it slightly disconcerting that you're that offended by the film. however it's really not that big of a deal seeing as your "move of the year" is drag me to hell. heh.

Drag Me To Hell was excellent.

skiniks so angry! drag me to hell was excellent, first of all. second of all, the cinematography was shite just like the script and acting. randomly out of focus shots, unnecessarily quirky shots (it's not an art film, why the sudden handycam shots and bizarre composition?)...the comparison to heat comes from the fact that yes, they are both movies about bank robberies, and both attempt to follow both sides of the law. presumably, much like in heat, one is supposed to actually give a fuck about johnny depp and his girlfriend, and about bale (much like we did about pacino/deniro) but the lack of character development made it a total failure in that regard. shit's weeeaaak

edit: drag me to hell very well may be the film of the year. Up was awesome too though.