so, i'm having a pair of jeans made . . . .

mizanation

MIZ

thanks for the info. it's good that most of them are Chinese immigrants since i can speak in the Chinese dialect fluently. But the question should have been rephrased since the question was meant to ask how long it took for him to perfect in the "art of denim" making. But you have already answered that.

A year of stay was only reflecting on a foreign exchange program through one of their universities and since living in a dorm or so, little pay wouldn't hurt me at all. but then again, he did take at least 10 years to perfect it.

I WANT TO GO TO CAMP!

MIZ

thanks for the info. it's good that most of them are Chinese immigrants since i can speak in the Chinese dialect fluently. But the question should have been rephrased since the question was meant to ask how long it took for him to perfect in the "art of denim" making. But you have already answered that.

A year of stay was only reflecting on a foreign exchange program through one of their universities and since living in a dorm or so, little pay wouldn't hurt me at all. but then again, he did take at least 10 years to perfect it.

I WANT TO GO TO CAMP!

i've asked kuniyoshi-san before about whether he feels he has perfected his craft and he feels like he still can improve--even after 10 years. in fact, recently, one of his old mentors visited him and they worked on certain techniques. for him, it's a lifelong process.

if you can speak chinese, japanese will be a little easier to learn. a good portion of the spoken language originates from chinese and much of the written language is chinese characters.

today, i will talk to kuniyoshi-san about the camp idea. he was originally thinking about a one-day denim workshop. since japan is far away and expensive to get to, most people on sufu won't be able to get to japan at the same time. so, instead of a denim camp, maybe a one-day denim workshop is a better idea? that way, whenever someone visits japan, they can swing by okinawa and spend one day learning about denim.

dang have it like a fraternity of denim...you must go to the camp to speak about the camp type shit haha.

miz you area amazing you should put all your pics and make a nice book!

oh ya and i still got that bandana you sent me im waiting for a new pair of jeans so i can put that shit in the back pocket...love the detail on it.

dang have it like a fraternity of denim...you must go to the camp to speak about the camp type shit haha.

miz you area amazing you should put all your pics and make a nice book!

oh ya and i still got that bandana you sent me im waiting for a new pair of jeans so i can put that shit in the back pocket...love the detail on it.

glad you liked the bandana! i forgot to tell you how they make those bandanas. it's a process called "bingata" which is method of dyeing that is particular to okinawa. each color is dyed separately using stencils.

you can read more about it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bingata

DSC_0005.jpg

glad you liked the bandana! i forgot to tell you how they make those bandanas. it's a process called "bingata" which is method of dyeing that is particular to okinawa. each color is dyed separately using stencils.

you can read more about it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bingata

DSC_0005.jpg

Those are bombbb.

You should ask Kuniyoshi-sensei to line the inside of your back pockets with them!

Or please send me one and I'll do it to my own jeans. :)

(haaaaa)

Double valante... Is that like a Dirty Sanchez, or more along the lines of a Filthy Francois?

Just kidding, what is the meaning of Double Valante?

volante is a portuguese soccer term for defensive midfielder. some teams have more than one volante, hence the name "double volante."

back in the day, "volante" was the name given to the brazilian military forces that hunted down and killed brazilian bandits, the famous cangaceiros.

here, he explains that because of the pull of the machine, you have to offset the top and bottom very slightly to get an even seam. every machine is different he says, and you have to know your machine to do a good stitch.

DSC_0572.jpg

kuniyoshi-san said that someone that has been sewing a long time can tell if someone else has used their machine--even if they don't change any of the settings. he also says that he can tell if someone has used his scissors. he can't explain it, he just says they feel different if someone else has used them.

see how the stitch is not bunched up when it goes over the crotch? each stitch is nice and even, even though the thickness of the denim changes greatly.

an amateur will make smaller stitches when the denim has many layers and longer stitches when there are less layers.

DSC_0609.jpg