Repros and the Japanese Identity

lmaozedong

my sentiments exactly... which is why i ignored that post when it was made. would "neg" but what's the point really? bringin ignorance to an otherwise awesome thread. the ol' Reductio ad Hitlerum.

congrats on the A dude! well done!

and i would also like to see the final draft if it changed much from the last version you posted up...

I don't really think that duck sauce was being ignorant when posting the quote, but sometimes I think when extreme sentiments are brought into a conversation, many times they need explanation. I also don't think that duck sauce believes anything in that quotation and maybe he was just trying to spark conversation.

Also, great job on the paper.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really think that duck sauce was being ignorant when posting the quote, but sometimes I think when extreme sentiments are brought into a conversation, many times they need explanation. I also don't think that duck sauce believes anything in that quotation and maybe he was just trying to spark conversation.

don't get me wrong - i'm not saying that duck sauce believes that. to the contrary, it seemed to me he was trying to suggest (accuse?) some parallel between the discussions of japanese appropriation of american fashion in this thread with adolf hitler's remarks on japanese culture.

when a healthy debate or discussion is being had, what could be more ignorant than dumbing the entire conversation down to a correlation with naziism? as you said - what is the connection? there is no connection. it's a Red Herring (with elements of several other logical fallacies, which is why it has been given the slang phrase "reductio ad hitlerum" or "reductio ad nazium").

all i'm saying is that i think this is a great thread, and there could be more interesting topics to splinter from it. but once someone jumps in and starts pointing the "nazi" finger at everyone, it takes most of the fun out of it.

*i guess we should just NOT talk about it* - because that will obviously lead to enlightenment, right?

i actually didnt end up changing the final draft--i emailed my teacher to ask what he thought of the draft, and he told me I'd get an A anyway, so that was that.

Interested where this conversation will go however..

don't get me wrong - i'm not saying that duck sauce believes that. to the contrary, it seemed to me he was trying to suggest (accuse?) some parallel between the discussions of japanese appropriation of american fashion in this thread with adolf hitler's remarks on japanese culture.

when a healthy debate or discussion is being had, what could be more ignorant than dumbing the entire conversation down to a correlation with naziism? as you said - what is the connection? there is no connection. it's a Red Herring (with elements of several other logical fallacies, which is why it has been given the slang phrase "reductio ad hitlerum" or "reductio ad nazium").

all i'm saying is that i think this is a great thread, and there could be more interesting topics to splinter from it. but once someone jumps in and starts pointing the "nazi" finger at everyone, it takes most of the fun out of it.

*i guess we should just NOT talk about it* - because that will obviously lead to enlightenment, right?

Agreed. (ten characters)

• 5 months later...

What did they have to say? I would probably respect one of their opinions more than the other. Not going to say which. I will leave that for the birds.

• 1 year later...

Lets continue talking about japanese repro/denim history...I acquired this book for quite some time but havent managed to share it here, maybe some of you might have this book/ have seen them before but I thought I'd post them up if anybody interested...

the book called "The History Of Japan Jeans'. It is overall a book with information regarding the manufacturer/manufacturing process rather than information about select japanese denim brands...

I couldnt read japanese, maybe by putting afew scans of the book here, with the help of other members that can translate japanese text, we can extract some useful information about the history...

here are some of the scans from the first few pages of the book;

jeans1_1.jpg

2 jeans2.jpg

jeans3.jpg

jeans4.jpg

jeans5.jpg

6( click for full-size) Fullsize

jeans6.jpg

jeans7.jpg

8. http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn249/LC_Miey/jeans8-1.jpg[/img]"]FULLSIZE

jeans8.jpg

9. FULLSIZE

jeans9.jpg

The tiimeline of the table above goes up to 2003-2004 if im not mistaken...i will post further scans if we can get good discussion out of this..

Im particularly intrigued about the beginning of the japanese denim/repro since afew companies claimed that they were the first ones that produced japanese jeans; from my limited knowledge about the history and from reading this thread..Edwin, Canton were among the first companies(?) and when I read about Eight-G, they also claimed themselves to be the first one...

Cheers aho..anyway, i've added up the full size link for the scans with timeline for better view if anyone can translate..i've asked my friend who study japanese for some translation..waiting for him to get back at me. would be good to get some information out of this book :)