what to do with $300 workpants

klue

Dig out some third rate secondary po-mo source from 1987...?

Oh! I get it. You're that pathetic grad student in the bar scene in Good Will Humping, eh?

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good point, but if you wish to get in good health, then you exercise. be it at the gym or playing sports, the end objective is the same. however, if you obtain muscles faster, then you can start using them sooner. (i lingered too much with this analogy.)

correct me if i'm wrong, but it seams that what is controversial is their means to the (shared) end. their respect towards an amazing craftsmanship is also in question. i believe that the time they spend attending to their jeans is a sign of respect. moreover, their means give life to an inanimate object. flagrantly horsing around spreads this life throughout the community.

also, you buy a good car to go fast on curves and not spin out. you could also drive slow, but the potential is there. you buy a car with big wheels to go mudding, or you can only drive the interstate with the fear of getting it dirty. maybe the jeans weren't made to slide down mountains or rubble, but the potential is there.

Here's the other main problem. It looks like they are trying to reach an goal or an "end" as you put it.

While a bodybuilder has a reason for his goal (we really need to stop now. That was the last bodybuilder analogy!), these guys, and no one else in here should have a goal with wearing jeans.

Personaly i don't think the car analogy works either.

You buy the car to drive in. To take corners and, if you are outside the reach of cops (or just a crazy blacked out sweedish motorcyclerider), drive fast as hell.

The jeans doesn't have a function per se, aside form covering your ass.

Regarding the potential i think we just plain differ in opinion. You see "slide down mountains or rubble" as using the jeans potential to the fullest.

I just see it as trying to drive the said car 100mph down the highway with the handbreak pulled or doing wheelies.

Damn.. next on i might just go prove that god doesn't exist.. :cool:

good point, but if you wish to get in good health, then you exercise. be it at the gym or playing sports, the end objective is the same. however, if you obtain muscles faster, then you can start using them sooner. (i lingered too much with this analogy.)

correct me if i'm wrong, but it seams that what is controversial is their means to the (shared) end. their respect towards an amazing craftsmanship is also in question. i believe that the time they spend attending to their jeans is a sign of respect. moreover, their means give life to an inanimate object. flagrantly horsing around spreads this life throughout the community.

also, you buy a good car to go fast on curves and not spin out. you could also drive slow, but the potential is there. you buy a car with big wheels to go mudding, or you can only drive the interstate with the fear of getting it dirty. maybe the jeans weren't made to slide down mountains or rubble, but the potential is there.

1) If by "lingered too much" you meant "should never have used such a terrible analogy" you would be 100% correct.

2) You are wrong, the issue is that a) they are challenging the unspoken rules that have governed all other denim contests here B) the charade that these contrived activities are new, interesting, or original in any way c) the general attitude that seems to permeate from individuals who think they are exceptionally clever and arent'

3) Of course "the potential is there" just like it is for me to buy a hot car and drive it around town intentionally getting into small fender benders so that that one day my car will look like it was in a huge wreck.

This thread just keeps on giving...a fair amount of people on both sides are making senseless arguments and making this way bigger than it needs to be. I tried to make these points in my very first post but I might have gotten a little long-winded:

a) the jeans are theirs, and of course they can do whatever they want to them, anyone who thinks otherwise, especially for lame reasons like money, or respect for the garment is crossing the line.

B) if they are going to keep posting pics of their adventures with their jeans, they should stop acting surprised that people are put off by them

c) if this wasn't part of a contest, and wasn't being talked about like it was something its not (a method, a new idea, a philosphy), a lot less people would be rubbed the wrong way by it, because as I have said, before, it will be interesting to see the results. I think a lot of the issue stems from the fact that a lot of people are having the feeling you get when someone walks into your house and starts trying to make the rules...its a tad obnoxious.

On the entirely other hand, I think these jeans have probably already reached a status that is interesting, and probably more unique in its way than whatever jeans will eventually win the contest...they are very likely the most controversial pair of jeans in Superfuture history, so if that was the intention of this whole thing, or is seen as a welcome side-effect....well played, and congratulations guys.

opie,

the jeans' potential is huge and, undeniably, more than, say, a pair of Dockers or some linen capris. so the only thing i would like to contradict is that "jeans don't have a function". they protect your ass, not just cover it. you could do more cowboy-ish activities with a 23oz Samurai than with a 10oz Gap or a polyester thong.

but you're right, i did assume that everyone shared a common end of getting fades.

i never saw jeans as an artistic expressions of one's activities nor the importance of craftsmanship until i met klue. when i first got my SC rainbow, i avoided certain activities because i wanted to preserve them. although, with the rainbow, the more they fade the more i appreciate them. this is not to say that i now use my rainbow to go down mountains--i have my pure blues for that--but i won't not do it just because they are a beautiful work of art.

when you test your jeans limit, then you're also testing your body's limit. i like being active, and i prefer doing so with an organic and durable material. what better than $300 work-pants?

tmadd,

i do not share the same feeling as everyone in the contest because i'm not in it. but i wouldn't compare getting fades to getting fender benders on a hot car. i think it'd be more precise to say rubber marks on the pavement, because fades on jeans look good while fender benders don't.

tmadd,

i do not share the same feeling as everyone in the contest because i'm not in it. but i wouldn't compare getting fades to getting fender benders on a hot car. i think it'd be more precise to say rubber marks on the pavement, because fades on jeans look good while fender benders don't.

Dude...do you know what the word precise means? You just made this analogy:

Rubber marks on pavemet is to hot car as fades are to nice jeans.

Also, worn jeans aren't art. If anything they are the antithesis of art. But really, any discussion of such things makes us makes us all giant turds.

Dig out some third rate secondary po-mo source from 1987...?

Oh! I get it. You're that pathetic grad student in the bar scene in Good Will Humping, eh?

haha, its even more of a burn because you said humping

fa sho.. ill reference to holywood word thas real... cyberspasm gooogle simulacra level 4 first link.. neptune gives a fuck but chaos does not care entropy drives evolution.. speed it up.. more permutations per loop = crazier fades.. eros is its is own object desire infinite the realm of becoming scarce..senseless jeaneology micro culture of suburban sophistocrats autonomous middleclass wit dough for jeans trying to capture the authentic or reinvent the authentic to be more authentic reproduction keep feeding the capitalist fantasy machine denim sold money made coherence unnecessary props to Ezekiel for chariot vision and imagining asignification in the form of indigo angles dissolving into white rainbow.. fuck me with markings signifying thoughts efficiently translated into word vessels that pre-serve speakers intention like dole pineapples soaked in sugar and third world sweat..

Dude...do you know what the word precise means? You just made this analogy:

Rubber marks on pavemet is to hot car as fades are to nice jeans.

Also, worn jeans aren't art. If anything they are the antithesis of art. But really, any discussion of such things makes us makes us all giant turds.

why is it the antithesis of art... if a fine pair of jeans can be considered as a work of art as well as a blank canvass why not worn jeans its art that requires constant participation therefore it is constantly transforming .. wearing jeans is comparable to the art of bonsai.. fades on jeans can be very similar to root/ branch structures.... why not manipulate the way they fade if your already conscious of the process instead of letting your fades happen "naturally" because once your aware of your fades a passive sense of artificiality is already imposed on what u perceive as natural.. so you might as well experiment with the fading process to truly explore the possibilities of manifestation...instead of naively adhering to a stagnant conception of whats natural... radical wear to explore the aesthetic potential of a pair of jeans is chilllll.. fuck the haters... btw my skin is brown i am a big fucking turd and love swimming in the sewers of abstraction all hail the unpredictable and perpetually interrupted etching and ebbing of the in-formation flow 1010101010101001010101010101010

Your constant misreading, or blatant ignoring of what you "respond to" is getting old. Pseudo-intellectual rambling can't cover up broken analogies and terrible arguments. Arguing that anything and everything is art is old, boring. Please stop failing at simple analogies, its embarrassing. Wearing jeans and pre-distressing jeans while you are wearing them are two different things. I'm waiting for the pictures with the caption "Got bored, decided to hang Klue upside down by his feet and shoot his jeans with a sandblaster and hit him with leather straps and sandpaper-I love breaking in jeans"

Edit: Laughing because I almost started my with "sorry you smoked some bad weed, but..."

With the amount of bitching most of you do in this thread, you could go outside and run around and wear your jeans in more.

Oh, and it was 80 and sunny here. I'm going surfing Saturday.

Your constant misreading, or blatant ignoring of what you "respond to" is getting old. Pseudo-intellectual rambling can't cover up broken analogies and terrible arguments. Arguing that anything and everything is art is old, boring. Please stop failing at simple analogies, its embarrassing. Wearing jeans and pre-distressing jeans while you are wearing them are two different things. I'm waiting for the pictures with the caption "Got bored, decided to hang Klue upside down by his feet and shoot his jeans with a sandblaster and hit him with leather straps and sandpaper-I love breaking in jeans"

Edit: Laughing because I almost started my with "sorry you smoked some bad weed, but..."

Pseudo-intellectual....your on point with that .props, imitation shapes the intellect so everything acquired is in some sense pseudo... Pseudo-intellectual is Pseudo-intellectual. is Pseudo-intellectual. a rose is a rose is a rose.....who is saying everything is art, bitch at duchamp for tht.....what broken analogies?? u mean broken language i meant to say u cant say to mean...

"Wearing jeans and pre-distressing jeans while you are wearing them are two different things. "

huh?? wearing is distressing the intensity of the distressing reflects how "hard" u wear them or how long u wear them among other things... pre-distressing is distressing them before wearing them.... your perception of denim is obviously not as dynamic as klues and is very different from his.... free jazz is not for everyone so keep tapping your feet to that muzack

P1010529.jpg

DSC_0406.jpg

your perception of denim is obviously not as dynamic as klues and is very different from his....

I can't argue with that. Leafing through post-structuralism for dummies doesn't make you profound, but it does make you really fucking annoying. It was fun man, but this it for me. Take care.

I tried to refrain from posting. After seeing that latest picture, I can't help but think isn't that the same thing as sandpapering your jeans? It's just that they attached an 'activity' to doctoring the fades that it isn't sandpapering. But the fades certainly LOOK like they were sandpapered. (refer to first wash pics on the FC thread)

I can't argue with that. Leafing through post-structuralism for dummies doesn't make you profound, but it does make you really fucking annoying. It was fun man, but this it for me. Take care.

hahhaha yeeah man !!! me no say nothing profound just surfing the surface of the script and immersing self in the superficial after all this the internet man, cats seeking justification or reactions by posting occurrences of "real" events on the internet man setting up a feed back loop between the real and the virtual so there is an interpenetration of the two and a perceptual and emotional ambiguity is created towards both zones fading away the distinction ,so say the same emotional and bodily response is produced from a web insult tht threatens the ego, as a real life insult from a person whose presence is palpable and so what goes on in the virtual social forums will impose itself on the "real" social sphere and dictate its course of becoming ... tvjnldjvvpdszjvb;klndvpidsdgldsngvlkdnvkljnbzdzouvsdvbsldkbvlksdnvbs

Pseudo-intellectual....your on point with that .props, imitation shapes the intellect so everything acquired is in some sense pseudo... Pseudo-intellectual is Pseudo-intellectual. is Pseudo-intellectual. a rose is a rose is a rose.....who is saying everything is art, bitch at duchamp for tht.....what broken analogies?? u mean broken language i meant to say u cant say to mean...

"Wearing jeans and pre-distressing jeans while you are wearing them are two different things. "

huh?? wearing is distressing the intensity of the distressing reflects how "hard" u wear them or how long u wear them among other things... pre-distressing is distressing them before wearing them.... your perception of denim is obviously not as dynamic as klues and is very different from his.... free jazz is not for everyone so keep tapping your feet to that muzack

This Thread Has Officially gone off the deep end.

beleaves, you're full o' shit, get real, go to supertrAsh with your metaphysical bullshit...

I tried to refrain from posting. After seeing that latest picture, I can't help but think isn't that the same thing as sandpapering your jeans? It's just that they attached an 'activity' to doctoring the fades that it isn't sandpapering. But the fades certainly LOOK like they were sandpapered. (refer to first wash pics on the FC thread)

with the sandpaper, fibers are cut. my threads seem to be completely intact , just lots of indigo. As far as the gravel sliding goes, we were driving along the road, saw the spot got out of the car and slid down it once. Our jeans got dusty, there was no loss of indigo, no abrasions. we took pictures because it was a cool example of the fun you might have in your pants if you weren't worried about them. Now people think that we selected this location to go out and "work on our fades". i think what i am trying to stress is that these activities are not "planned" or premeditated, they emerge from our experience, by happenstance. .....when talking about how uneven and fake my fades look in the fc thread, please keep in mind it has only been three weeks, of course they won't compare to the beauty of year old fades of more mild wear...

Klue,

More power to you. Have fun and keep posting photos. If we tease back, it’s all in good fun. I am convinced that I was right about the pathetic grad student who’s had one class in post-modern lit-crit and now thinks he’s a wit. He’s only half right.

In the meantime, keep sliding, climbing, camping and/or whatever. Just post the photos. You might catch some crap, but that’s why we’re here.

:cool:

Klue,

More power to you. Have fun and keep posting photos. If we tease back, it’s all in good fun. I am convinced that I was right about the pathetic grad student who’s had one class in post-modern lit-crit and now thinks he’s a wit. He’s only half right.

In the meantime, keep sliding, climbing, camping and/or whatever. Just post the photos. You might catch some crap, but that’s why we’re here.

:cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPX33Paq-KM

half right fuck post modern lit critique blah blah your deff right images better than words i talk shit but its common sense

beleaves, no one is impressed by your ability to be weird, stop shitting up this thread please

beLeaves, why don't you start a thread on the effect of pataphysics in suburbia? this thread is about post-"just jeans" and post-post-"just jeans". also, if you do continue to post on this thread, please stop your Burroughs-esque writing style.

please stop your Burroughs-esque writing style.

dont give him the credit