Anyone know of a good peacoat?

theory

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

someone owns the Schott 740B peacoat on here? I wonder if the quality is any good and suitable for somewhat colder environments

Navy's standard of 32 oz melton wool meaning yes for suitable for colder environments and quality must be good because Schott is a well known brand.

Also, 740B is boys sizes if you didnt know.

I'm 5'10" only about 120 lbs, do you think going with a 32 regular sounds right for me? my chest is about a 32 when inhaled. maybe i should go with the 30r?

The 30R should be fine. Guys on styleforum generally say size down 2" from your measured chest while inhaled. Or just as easily 2" smaller than what you normally wear tagged. So if you wear a 38R normally a 36R should be fine for a "fitted" look.

http://styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=29429&page=2&highlight=sterlingwear

I'd be hesitant to order the Sterlingwear peacoat sized down. I ordered my correct size and it fits well with button up shirts/ tees/ thin sweaters, but is a def no-go for wearing over bulkier sweaters and sweatshirts in colder weather.

Plus, even with a thinner shirt on the jacket is still kinda tight through the armpits and across the back.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
someone owns the Schott 740B peacoat on here? I wonder if the quality is any good and suitable for somewhat colder environments

i got a schott peacoat a few years back, haven't worn it till the past winter though for some reason.... the jacket is defnitely WARM. the fit however is not a very fashionable one, its pretty stiff, boxy, and not exactly slim, but it keeps me warm and looks pretty descent to me, so i don't care

• 4 weeks later...
A good example or idea :

41138720va_12_f.jpg

That is too short IMO, it should reach almost near the crotch. On mine, the buttons would space out a bit more, the lapels and neckline would dip down further and more aggressively, and I like a bit of stand in the collar, in case you need to pop the back up.

That is too short IMO, it should reach almost near the crotch. On mine, the buttons would space out a bit more, the lapels and neckline would dip down further and more aggressively, and I like a bit of stand in the collar, in case you need to pop the back up.

Agree with this. Longer cut and lower button stance creates a more refined, sleeker silhouette than the one pictured in the Yoox photo (which is a more utilitarian and conventional cut). Also like the attention paid to collar detail/function ;)

I'm gonna buy some more, nicer, peacoats and take a seam ripper to them. I have a vintage navy issue one that I tore apart and have a pattern for, but I want something with a cleaner, more aggressively shaped/dimensional collar and lapels that 'float' a bit at the top and then come to rest on the torso, as well as a slight bit of shoulder roping.

I also prefer a very slight flare from top to bottom, but I will probably achieve that with a mild combination cutting in the midsection and something from the back panels...

The buttons are positioned too high but the spacing is a good 3" if moved down i believe the jacket would immediately look better. The lapels also aren't that great I agree with your styling suggestions. What do you think about making one that is a bit longer like you propose and one that is shorter than the one pictured (like cropped style in particular the Dior Homme one with the zippers at the end of the sleaves)?

I have two pea coats from the 50s (corduroy lined pockets, kersey blue), and they both are more refined than anything that I have seen lately, cut longer, and the buttons are set lower. I think this attributes to making them not so top heavy. Unfortunately I am selling them both. It took me a lot of searching and two coats to figure out the right size combination.