Clothing for The Great Outdoors

i have to say that from where I'm standing, this appears to be some of the most recycled, unoriginal looking stuff I have seen in a while.
But really, is anything in this topic truly original? Most of the focus is on vintage looking garments, with the occasional modern piece.
It honestly looks like they pulled a couple flicks off anoutcommunemeta (or shit, even this thread for that matter) and sent them straight off to the pattern maker
Not sure I understand, most of the garments in the selection they've been making for a few years now; with the exception of the quilted jacket, parka, mystery ranch collbao and a few other pieces.
but what we don't need is people jacking tasteful japanese interpretations of said garments wholesale, and trying to foist them on the street wear market.

Most Japanese companies, from my understanding, copy vintage outdoor garments wholesale. Not sure why Maiden Noir is being a labeled a "jacker" when examining the influences and products of most Japanese field wear producers.

Maiden Noir has clearly added their own, slight unique touch to their products, despite being clearly influenced by heritage garments.

A bit of quilted barbour+Obligatory mounntain parka+BoOish shirts does not=that new hot fire, it equals hot garbage.
Is it hot garbage because its not innovative, or because it is lackingquality wise? Like I said, most of the items in this collection are standard products that Maiden Noir has been making for several years now.

it's all just kinda boring... i don't except every piece to be crazy innovative or out there pushing the limits, but there isn't anything special at all in that.

Well, I don't entirely expect it to be too exciting. Most outdoor wear (I'm not saying all of it), rarely is. For instance, I'm not entirely sure why people were excited over the Supreme timberline jacket or waxed work jacket. Aside from fit, I'm sure most folks could find better quality garments elsewhere. Sure, the Maiden Noir stuff isn't terribly exciting, but for the price, quality and fit, it's pretty enticing.

I'ma say this quickly before I tell myself not to...but the mention of Supreme and all other streetwear should be moved to a "Streetwear That Rips Off Clothing For The Great Outdoors" thread. I don't know how else to say it. It's either you contribute or you just regurgitate for the semi-corporate ego-stroke of it all. Whatever...maybe some of the Japanese brands are partially guilty of this...but I'm sick of shitty U.S. streetwear brands getting looked at as worthwhile for spewing forth redundancy.

It is just an exhaustive exercise in re-branding. You take something and keep it the same, just slap your shitty face all over it.

Yeah this has just turned into who's "genuine and for the good of it all" versus who's "fake and evil"...

I'm just at that point with the whole pseudo-phenomenon of it all. Most of these companies are the big city equivalent to suburban mall subcultural adaptation ...huh? I mean these guys are on some mall punk authenticity shit. Let's take a trend/popular subculture and make hollow exploitation of it...by hollow I mean there's nothing new or remotely quality about 90% of what these cats come out with...Supreme being the pioneer of that. From the various screen-printed Gildan/Hanes tees sets they've come out with (the "hardcore punk" series springs to mind), which are insanely priced for a boxy, standard non-soft cotton t-shirt...to the recent horrendous APC collab that essentially takes a pair of New Standards and embroiders some embarrassing catch-phrase (one that I choose to never ever recall) where everyone will see it and ask "why the fuck did that idiot put that on his jeans?"

al;kwhtawl;khtal;tkha;litya;lhktaw;lhtlaw;kht;alkh!!!!

Back to the good part, the only recent (U.S.) streetwear-marketed outdoor gear worthy of this thread (that I know of) is the DQM x CDW collab...because it is CDW and CDW-quality. There's nothing new about it...yes, of course they put a DQM logo tag on the inside...but at least a streetwear-minded company did the right thing and went straight to the source, that which has a history of superior quality U.S. made wears, and had it done properly without any visible re-branding. They could have instead said "oh hey this is the hot shit now...let's copy from what everyone else has based their outdoors designs...and not do shit 'cept add our logo and outsource to a 3rd World factory to save on production costs. We can sell it for prices we think everyone will deem reasonable and we will get mentioned in High Snobiety...if not Hypebeast as well!"

Wordup...vintage Sierra Designs 60/40 by The Gap, next year! The Gap is BACK YO.

Man I'm with you but each of us has to walk the line somewhere between authenticity and artifice. I think the old outdoor gear is cool as hell and I like wearing it, but I freely admit that I am a failure as an outdoorsman. The most intense shit I do are mild day hikes. I don't own a tent. I loved seeing Denali--on PBS. And truthfully, when I go out and I know conditions are bad, I'm reaching for a new tech shell not an old 60/40. If I'm going to wear an old woolrich mackinaw on the Metro, am I really justified looking down my nose at the dude in the Supreme ventile? If I buy a new heritage SD piece from rakuten (which, I, uh, did), am I doing it more right than a kid who buys a Maiden Noir piece?

That said, source for wool union suit?!

Good points made by heflys, hebays, and heShoreman1782s!

Maybe I just should have said that I don't like it, and don't think it is worth the money. Or maybe I should have just said that I never liked anything they produced before this. Or maybe this whole discussion is retarded.

I think it is the latter mostly.

I'm getting too old to care about authenticity. I just like what I like, and that's that. And yeah, I aint bringin a 60/40 to Alaska either. But maybe my Filson Alaskan shirt. Ha.

I can't resist. Partly because its a slow friday for project management and partly because I enjoy reading this thread and feel like I can actually contribute to it for once regarding the last 2 pages.

I wear Supreme. I like the clothing for how it looks and even their current price point is still within my budget. The last 2 A/W seasons have seen them putting out product that would fall into Clothing for The Great Outdoors. It all looks good, colors are nice, keeps with the original make up (i.e ripping off and duplicating), and is easily accessible with their store fronts and website.

However, with no basis of my own for comparison, I can say the quality and function is shit. Like awful. They have always had shit quality, unless they are using a company like Alpha Industries, but they somehow have made their bones has a company that is known for "sturdy", well put together garments. Only my opinion, but its always been undeserved. Some who post in this thread and the Supreme thread, may agree or may not.

I think its safe to say that the clothing in this thread is the coming trend (like it or not, I don't see it getting smaller in scope) for a market outside of those that read and contribute here and you could argue that Supreme (specifically Brendan Babenzien) recognize this. Why they choose to put out ripped off designs, that more importantly seldomly function as well as the product they are copying (according to statements made in this thread and my own opinion of garments that they have ripped off from other non Outdoors clothing brands), could be for innumerable reasons that I will never actually know.

Two worth speculating are: 1) They want maximum profit for minimal effort and simply reappropriatting a design and putting their logo on it, sending it off to China to be made cheaply, will achieve this goal. Totally possible.

Or 2) They actually are aware that their customer base is much like Shoreman and are "a failure as an outdoorsman" and wont actually wear these itmes for their true purpose, so why put forth the effort if its just going to be worn by the trend savy living and influenced by metropolitan cities (opinion but LA, NYC, Tokyo seem to be their biggest markets and the lesser markets still seem to be a city). Also totally possible.

Watching people snatch quality and repackaging it as shit is painful but its been going on just as long as companies grabbing a social trend or fashion movement and turning it into mass consumerism.

I like this thread a lot and freely admit that I'm new to the topic (actually had to ask someone the meaning of 60/40 the other day) so please if you feel i've made statements in error, be easy.

My supreme mountain parka wont repel the tears.

Great post sally.

I totally agree with what everyone has said. In fact, my 60/40 vintage L.L. Bean can only stand only so much in the rain and it's bothersome.

But it's 30 years old. Well beyond my years. Which to me is a relic in itself. The fact that it's 2009 and I'm still comfortably sporting it makes you really feel like you're affirming the cliche: "timeless".

Which again is another reason why companies like Supreme would even consider replicating. It simply works, the look is what's been sported well before Supreme's brain has even been alive. Why are they seen as a high-quality streetwear label? Maybe it's simply that they've made pieces that are decent enough to call home about, or maybe it's good marketing. I think I'll go with the latter.

Sally's points are right on, but it's just down to what you're looking for in a garment and a label. Do you want your mates to ooo and ahh at your new 'kop', or do you want to make it through the night when it's a white out while you're backpacking through BC? Maybe it's in between, but maybe one or the other drives your influence. and whichever that is ends up being whichever you have.

Then again this thread is called "Clothing for the Great Outdoors".

Maybe I just should have said that I don't like it, and don't think it is worth the money. Or maybe I should have just said that I never liked anything they produced before this. Or maybe this whole discussion is retarded.
Nah, I didn't expect everyone to like it. I do enjoy these discussions though.

I just think, when it comes to outdoor wear, quality and functionality (apparently) comes first. Fit and looks are plus though, since a lot of standard outdoor wear suffers from "parachute arm" syndrome.

My supreme mountain parka wont repel the tears.

Dope.

If I ever deare to sell my motorola coat...you get first dibs off the strength of that post.

Honestly, if you're nitro fresh like some of us are...crescent fresh even (for all the sifl & ollie heads)...you can make the old functional stuff look just GREAT. Some MAY need tailoring...plenty won't though. Understanding silhouettes and blah blah fashion forum blah blah awesome thread blah blah new cool stuff to wear...blah blah get on ebay blah blah blog blah stanton tailor saved my shape blah blah blah blah.

Okay...i'm sober I swear.

Just size down one or two...isn't that always the trick on here?!?

While we're still skirting this, I'd like to comment a bit more on Maiden Noir. I trumpet their stuff pretty hard, and for those critiquing, I'd highly suggest checking out the product in person. I grew up wearing LL Bean, REI, Sierra Design, North Face, Moonstone, etc., and I'd have to agree with heflys that while perhaps more muted in tone, this is the same stuff they've always been producing. The owners have always been very plain in stating that they just design to what has always been their respective influences. And while in my opinion, each season has become subtly more defined, they haven't really jumped around to try and be one of these brands that just emulates vintage stuff. It's practical, functional, with a pretty contemporary cut and palate. They have stuck with fairly basic styles and have focused on detailing it to a point where it is not 'overdesigned' (compared to truly overt stuff like W)taps) but comes proper and has their mark.

It might be the case that they don't fit fully in this thread, but I find it a hard case to consider Maiden Noir 'boring' and then get worked up over Filson or some generic anorak.

Anyways, good discussion.

Anyone got any ideas where I can find a good looking down jacket? I've been looking at Marmot and the Iron Heart (crucify me) ones...Really just looking for something that comes in bright solid colors and doesn't have that super ribbed look (think most of Patagonias models). Don't need nothing too extreme, just going to be wearing it while bumming around Sante Fe, Taos, and Denver this winter.

Anyone got any ideas where I can find a good looking down jacket? I've been looking at Marmot and the Iron Heart (crucify me) ones...Really just looking for something that comes in bright solid colors and doesn't have that super ribbed look (think most of Patagonias models). Don't need nothing too extreme, just going to be wearing it while bumming around Sante Fe, Taos, and Denver this winter.

crescent down works?

Any cargo pant recommendations? I'd love one in a decently heavyweight canvas. I find it not only impeccable for the outdoors, but it kicks ass when traveling.

Problem, the bulging pockets and anti-fit makes me look like a dunce american, any recommendations?

you can order direct from crescent down works. shoot them an email. been eyeing a down shirt for a while but i have waaaaaaay too much outerwear.

and to dude looking for cargos... j crew? i have a pair of their ripstop cargo pants that i like. maybe not superfuturian enough? this season it is cut from some slubby cotton twill. predistressed, but i find it ends up looking ok after a few washes.

you can order direct from crescent down works. shoot them an email. been eyeing a down shirt for a while but i have waaaaaaay too much outerwear.

and to dude looking for cargos... j crew? i have a pair of their ripstop cargo pants that i like. maybe not superfuturian enough? this season it is cut from some slubby cotton twill. predistressed, but i find it ends up looking ok after a few washes.

Saw that. I'm not a superfuture purist so I'm down for any suggestions. Thanks for it!

Conditions kind of haggard on a lot of it, but theres some gems. I like that Sierra Designs tech jacket. Also like the fact that he isn't putting his BIN at 600 dollars like I've been seeing randomly for shit like beat up 60/40 parkas.

Any cargo pant recommendations? I'd love one in a decently heavyweight canvas. I find it not only impeccable for the outdoors, but it kicks ass when traveling.

Problem, the bulging pockets and anti-fit makes me look like a dunce american, any recommendations?

German army moleskins (i posted some half assed pick earlier). Mid heavy twill, rugged construction, tapered, pretty slimmish fit, understated cargo pockets. Cheap on ebay .uk or .de.

http://www.e-explorer.jp/shopdetail/055000002615/021/000/price/

I really would like some french m-47 pants though, but have been unable to find any.

Conditions kind of haggard on a lot of it, but theres some gems. I like that Sierra Designs tech jacket. Also like the fact that he isn't putting his BIN at 600 dollars like I've been seeing randomly for shit like beat up 60/40 parkas.

Seller also seems like a gamble--mediocre feedback and more listed right now than transactions in history. Worth a shot on some of it but mostly not really.