General TV show discussion

mrip

rewatched true detective episodes 1-6 yesterday, was good. mostly for clarification re: how rust linked the crimes together and how they were able to track down reggie ledoux as the original person of suspect for the dora lang killing. upon the second viewing, i took the time to rewind little bits of VO i wanted to hear again and spent a lot of time reading in on more subtle things. looking forward to tonight

gkOz125.jpg

Edited by jayrock

What was weird about it?

The season finale was a perfect way to end this story. If you're referring to the visual Rust got when he was in Errol's "Carcosa", then it was just an untimely visual from his time in HIDTA aka "high intensity drug trafficking area"

I thoroughly enjoyed them not catching everyone involved, which holds more true to "true crime" than most other crime dramas where they always take down the "group of bad guys". I also loved the fact that the Tuttle's were able to cover their tracks and make it so there was no relation to Erroll Childrish, and the investigation. I think it's safe to say that they're involved in some form, with the investigations always going no where, that task force trying to take it off Marty and Rusts hands, Greicy getting promoted after "following the chain of command" dropping/ the case of the Fotenot girl, But I guess will never really know.

Also, the final scene was great, as we finally see Rust become optimistic rather than the pessimistic Cohle we've seen all season.

10/10 

Edited by MonsieurUntitled

Does anyone understand the last two sentences of the finale true detective ep? That's the most annoying rumbling I've ever heard.

Edit: when I mean I don't understand, I really don't understand anything of what he's saying.

Edited by Dropt

perfect finale

all the binge-watchers will hype season 2 to extremes but i'm perfectly sated by these 8 episodes.

classic.

Also, the final scene was great, as we finally see Rust become optimistic rather than the pessimistic Cohle we've seen all season.

this was so easy to mess up and ruin a series with, could have been a hugely corny moment but that scene was done brilliantly.

Edited by Magsåvningsreserven

What was weird about it?

The season finale was a perfect way to end this story. If you're referring to the visual Rust got when he was in Errol's "Carcosa", then it was just an untimely visual from his time in HIDTA aka "high intensity drug trafficking area"

I find this incredibly strange, in no other moment of intensity (specifically at the end of episode 4) has Rust undergone visual repercussion from HIDTA. It was evidently untimely but I'm trying to figure out exactly why it happened in that manner. It really brought me out of the general disposition I had with the series. That 3 seconds gave me a distinct supernatural sense instead of the sole discourse and discussion of supernaturalness that the show revolved around. 

There was more than 1 instance of his visuals from "his time in HIDTA" and or his synesthesia, sort of like a spider sense - "a misalignment of synaptic receptors and triggers.....type of hypersensitivity, one sense triggers another sense" - Rust. To me it was nothing supernatural, and more of something they added to give a real world view on some Lovecaftian weirdness (Chambers/Lovecraft "King in Yellow") I also think the synesthesia and hallucinations had to do with Cohle being on the trail of the killer. If you remember they started out real subtle and got more vivid and stronger as the series went on.

Starting with these 3 hallucination scenes...

ibcyHssmSE7rhq.gif

and the final spiral scene...

cosmic_horror.jpg

To me the spiral/void was so big and vivid to Rust because his synesthesia picked up on it with the killer being so close, if you notice how each visual got bigger and more vivid as the case went on.However, the creator Nic P and director Fukinaga already confirmed it was one of Rust's hallucinations, but with the show having parts leading to the "supernatural" any piece of art is open to interpretation. 

Some combination of HPPD and PTSD.

Hallucinogen persisting perception disorder (HPPD) is a disorder characterized by a continual presence of sensory disturbances, most commonly visual, that are reminiscent of those generated by the use of hallucinogenic substances. Previous use of hallucinogens by the person is necessary, but not sufficient, for diagnosis of HPPD. For an individual to be diagnosed with HPPD, the symptoms cannot be due to another medical condition. HPPD is distinct from flashbacks by reason of its relative permanence; while flashbacks are transient, HPPD is persistent.

You're definitely right, I was getting at the fact that his disorder had never kicked in during times of danger, the only time that Cohle's life was really endangered in a similar manner was in episode 4. I'm just trying to figure out why it had to happen RIGHT there in a different way than it had ever occurred before. 

it made perfect sense that he would hallucinate at that moment right before errol appears, because the room itself provided it. remove the shots of rust glancing around in between these two visuals and it becomes more clear:

k49WlEI.png

AYo0HBq.png

his mind replaces the open ceiling with a blue vortex which evokes the birth of a celestial body amidst the emptiness of space. the large. dark. domed room even resembles a planetarium:

peterborough_planetarium_portable_inflat

watching his hallucination again i realized it's the episode's title "form and void" visualized, and it could be interpreted as a metaphor for rust's final dialogue about light and dark, i.e. good and evil, creation's struggle to preserve itself against destructive forces, etc... pretty neato.

also, from the way rust speaks about his hallucinations and how enigmatic he is, my impression was that they happen more often than the viewer gets to see, like they're a normal part of his experience that we weren't always shown. so with that in mind, it's plausible that he *was* hallucinating while running for his life in ep 4, but as he said, he just rolls with it when they appear. i think it adds to his mystique as a character and gives him an even more alienating quality if you imagine that at any given time in any scene, he could be hallucinating while he carries on as usual.

Edited by skincoat

thoughts on switching up the cast for season 2? has worked in other shows before but will it work in true detective?

that's kinda the entire point of the anthology. in and out, done. complete.

season 2 will be judged on its own accord, since there's is no more story to move forward. they set a high bar with the acting talent season 1, but the writing is more than good enough to make up that difference imo. looking forward to it

TV related side note, this week's Rick and Morty was pretty good. great show. good Archer too

finally gave up on the walking dead 17 minutes into this week's episode. I guess Carol ends up killing that girl. doooont caaaaarrre. show sucks. have downloaded and started the graphic novels tho

Edited by jayrock

yeah all guesswork at this point. i agree that i don't really see aaron paul in a role like this, but who knows

all opinions welcome: which is better the following or the killing?

was gonna try to start one of them soon i think, in this downtime before hbo starts ramping up again.

still working on season 2 of house of cards. pretty solid as expected.

Edited by jayrock

The Killing hands down. Although I don't want to spoil it ( in some aspects) but the murder investigation lasts 2 seasons, so you won't really have any closure within the first 13 episodes. Great show, Great acting, Good writing, but they just dropped the ball trying to stretch out the investigation through 26 episodes. I'd definitely watch over The Following though.

I'd recommend watching Banshee if you haven't seen that. A+ for fighting,boobs, and crazy shit.

Edited by MonsieurUntitled