Supreme 2008 F/W

fiveagain

This is the last time im gonna do this, so here goes..

All 3 companies use a mixture of Canadian based fleece manufactures and Chinese factories to produce their clothing lines. All 3 companies have ideals that are at the core of their brand (Supreme skate and NYC, Alife Downtown NYC and Art, Crooks Crime and LA/Long Beach). All 3 companies make limited product that is made limited to build hype and cache in the brand. All 3 companies create double label product with other key brands and or peers.

i don't know about this argument. the reality is that supreme's gear appeals to a wider, more fashion savvy crowd than either of the other brands. the 80% of their stuff that's not t-shirts or fitteds can be seen on / appreciated by a much more diverse swath of humanity outside of the small communities that form the culture of each brand (and the hypemongers that fuel their marketing).

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Learn your history kids.

Realise that ALIFE was actually a design team before the store. That their first store was actually a design office... and it wasn't even 'upstairs'. The store was an extension of their design work - they were producing work for various sources and realised that they should really have their work in one spot available to the public. This is years before ARC. And years before they had a clothing line even, let alone shoes!

Supreme collabed with Vans BEFORE the first dunk.

Jest n' Tony run deep. Deeper than anyone here seems to know.

Next thing I'm gonna read you guys lumping Project Dragon with the 100s......

LEARN YOUR HISTORY.

78, stop acting like you know whats good with supreme.. nigga, you're just a douchebag who got money and time to spend on the internet. and hiring people to spraypaint someones car is fucking lame. you're pathetic.please get off the internet and get a life. you take clothing too seriously.

i don't know about this argument. the reality is that supreme's gear appeals to a wider, more fashion savvy crowd than either of the other brands. the 80% of their stuff that's not t-shirts or fitteds can be seen on / appreciated by a much more diverse swath of humanity outside of the small communities that form the culture of each brand (and the hypemongers that fuel their marketing).

Who would be an example of "fashion savvy crowd"? Is it people that buy a little here and there from supreme but also shop high fashion? Alife gets those customers too. Crooks maybe not so there I'll relent.

As far as "diverse swath of humanity" i dont really see it. I've worked below houston and Supreme, Alife, Crooks, etc were everywhere to be seen. I now work above 14th st and i see those brands seldomly. The old lady works in high fashion and her peers know supreme as "that store with all the lines?". I've traveled the country plenty and in most cities outside of NY and LA, the only people who recognize the brand are skaters and kids into shoes. I think there audience is pretty much the same throughout. They make diverse enough clothing that they can sell to a 14 yr old and a 30 yr old but i feel like the 30 yr old is essentially the 14 yr old but grown. I have yet to see an executive at my firm come out the box with a shirt from supreme, however the creative director that grew up skating is still up on it at 33.

I dont pretend to be any source of knowledge beyond a few facts and my opinion. I enjoy the brand, I just think they get a pass too often. Maybe there is a little devils advocate mixed in as well.

I'm good with it being put to rest. Bloodia if you really feel the need to throw this in my face just do it through PM.

readytoignite I would like to here what you have to say on the high fashion, swath point of view.

I've traveled the country plenty and in most cities outside of NY and LA, the only people who recognize the brand are skaters and kids into shoes. I think there audience is pretty much the same throughout.

that's kind of my point - people who aren't even aware of the supreme brand can still appreciate 80% of their gear, mostly because it's ahead of the curve trend-wise and has a very contemporary fit. for the other 20% (caps / tees / fleeces) i agree, it's at least comparable.

i'm out and about the city a fair amount and it's not unusual for someone to tell me "i like your shirt/jacket/whatever - who makes it?" these people range from dudes who work at (non-streetwear) downtown boutiques, my friends who live in brooklyn and are in bands and a random guy in a sports bar.

i don't wear c&c or alife but i can't imagine getting the same level of attention other than maybe hypebeasts. mostly because those brands are currently focused on streetwear staples that have a relatively limited audience (as you put it, 14 year olds and 30somethings going on 14). as a company, supreme are extremely mature at producing "tailored" apparel, in a way that others like dqm, huf, the hundreds and other companies trying to make that jump can only dream of being right now.

on a separate subject: 78 - if history's so important to you, why do you support chelsea? :rolleyes:

on a separate subject: 78 - if history's so important to you, why do you support chelsea? :rolleyes:

Because when I was in England as a wee-lad in the early 80s we lived near the Bridge... simple as that... history with me ;) And no one couldn't have fallen in love with Zola...

its funny to see how people argue over how this or that came first. fuck, vision street wear was probably one of the most prolific brands of the 80s. you had fuct, stussy, etc way before all of the brands that blew up in the 90s. all these guys paved the way for a lot of what's going on now. you're just arguing about who's brand image is better, total suckers for their advertising on a superficial level. obviously everyone's style and projects have much deeper roots, but look at it for what it is, not how you want to analyze it.

(edit -- you guys all reference where it came from and why it is what it is. 99% of you aren't from where it came from and aren't part of that. why put stock in that at all? you all wear it because of something you don't know and aren't a part of. no matter how much supreme you wear, you still won't be hanging out downtown in 1996.)

after all this, if you're thinking about alife today, their creative outreach isn't quite as public as of late. their creative direction for mass appeal from #9-19 (correct me if i'm wrong on that last issue), was amazing. they pulled together some of the top minds in new york to work on that thing and it read like a yearbook of what was really going on downtown. it repped a ton of artists from graffiti to fine art (some artists in both lights as their careers developed) and threw shows at the orchard store front, most notably with graphic havoc and arkitip, which are two of the most respected names in what they do. the only other thing that attempted this kind of organization, although on a more commercial level, was alexander gelman's book infiltrate (which i'm so sad to see hasn't grown with the years.. such a cool project).

alife's projects play with branding an concept development a lot more than anything else - the ritefoot line (until it just kept resorting to biting classics), rivington club (the first super premium sneaker botique in the city), the 501 rainbow line and store renovation just before orchard closed, backing MOB, building up krink to be one of the most respected products in the industry, etc. it seems more of an experiment in business than anything else and a very interesting one at that. supreme comes from a different aspect of downtown life, but is doing the same things in a different homage.

Learn your history kids.

Realise that ALIFE was actually a design team before the store. That their first store was actually a design office... and it wasn't even 'upstairs'. The store was an extension of their design work - they were producing work for various sources and realised that they should really have their work in one spot available to the public. This is years before ARC. And years before they had a clothing line even, let alone shoes!

LEARN YOUR HISTORY.

Thank you.

whoa whoa. Where did all this come from? If its being directed towards me, I posted nothing to state that i'm from nyc (i outed myself as a wasp from delaware pages back) or that i have any desire to go back to '94. I'm good with gentrification and a proliferation of fancy ramen in nyc, I dont need to go back to the days without. Nor do I want to hang out with someone because they work at a store i shop at.

not directed at you at all, nor am i saying i'm boys with those guys either. you know what you're talking about way more than a lot of these guys do around here. all directed at dudes arguing about their pedigree being more "real" when they aren't part of it and never were.

fuck, i'm from kentucky of all places. i just pay attention to what's going on, above and beyond whether i'm wearing someone's brand or not. its an industry that's ever interesting.