Stocks, who here invests?

masuerte

I have 3 places where I've put my money lately.

-50% of my money in A 403b retirement plan based on a UCLA fund run by Fidelity that currently increased by 2.3% (based on last year)

-40% in A liquid HSBC internet bank @ 5% APY (last year) and now down to 3.8% this year

-the rest in a Checking account.

Now... as for my liquid savings, I'm thinking of taking it away from HSBC and it's no-shitty rates and transferring it to an index fund. I'm also toying with the idea of doing the same with my retirement money if Fidelity allows for it.

Are index funds really the safest investments that can leave me a 10% return in the long term? Am I retarded? And if so, what books should I read?

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depending on how old you are,I wouldnt touch your retirement money.Also I dont know to much about index funds,but you might want to look at some mutual funds,some have a pretty good rate of return.I would also reccomend going to see a financial planner,then atleast they can tell you what is/isnt a good idea.

Depending on how old you are,I wouldnt touch your retirement money.Also I dont know to much about index funds,but you might want to look at some mutual funds,some have a pretty good rate of return.I would also reccomend going to see a financial planner,then atleast they can tell you what is/isnt a good idea.

Mutual funds have been known to have relatively low returns coupled with management fees that can really eat up how much you earn. A difference of 1% in management fees can literally cost you tens of thousands of dollars in the log run with compounding interest and the fact that you won't be able to touch your retirement account for many years. Many mutual funds fail to match the returns for indices, and charge you the management fees on top of the poor(er) performance. Some funds, notably Vanguard, are known for their low fees, so you may want to look into those.

Here are some links to some good sites for money management/investing on the internet:

pfblog.org

iwillteachyoutoberich.com

allfinancialmatters.com

getrichslowly.com

As for my previous post, Swensen's (Unconventional Success) talks about sensible investing. The basic thrust is people are such poor stock pickers it's better to diversify and try and match indices (i.e. invest in index funds as well as a enough stocks, bonds, real estate holdings, etc.) Here is a good summary of the basic points of the book:

http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/2007/10/03/one-man-who-beats-the-market-and-his-suggestions-for-individual-investors/

• 2 months later...
Guest Montreal

Daytrader here.

Usually like to trade stocks like AAPL.. something with TONS of liquidity. Made an absolute killing on BSC and LEH last month - enough so that I don't need to trade for a few months. Currently longing V and I have a considerable amount of AAPL that I am longing (got in at the 116 low in February).

I have a couple questions about stocks, not like which ones to buy but how exactly do you go about starting? Do you need a fairly large starter of money that you see as being expendable? Do you guys go throught brokers, is that what they are called, to trade? Sorry for the pretty dumb questions just wanting to gain info. Thanks

I have a couple questions about stocks, not like which ones to buy but how exactly do you go about starting? Do you need a fairly large starter of money that you see as being expendable? Do you guys go throught brokers, is that what they are called, to trade? Sorry for the pretty dumb questions just wanting to gain info. Thanks

I have also recently gotten into investing in stocks.I use the sharebuilder site because they have pretty low fees.I dont think its worth going to a broker unless you have a large amount of cash because they usually take a pretty big commission.

my dad wants me to get into daytrading

it does interest me ... but im a big risk taker, and love gambling ... so i dunno if itd work out well. (or maybe thats where all the moneys made?)

I wanna start out with an online e-trade account but i looked at what you need to sign up for it and it seemed like alot of stuff

I am currently holding a few long positions (some in alternate energy)...

The market is scaring me right now and I want to see what happens in the next few months before I invest more...... its too too uncertain, if there is a big dip I might buy some additional longs

I'm in on chinese alternative energy. but being as they are so volitile anyhow, it's either go big or go home

Guest spazzz
my dad wants me to get into daytrading

it does interest me ... but im a big risk taker, and love gambling ... so i dunno if itd work out well. (or maybe thats where all the moneys made?)

I wanna start out with an online e-trade account but i looked at what you need to sign up for it and it seemed like alot of stuff

scott trade is cheaper. etrade blows

yeah im gonna hold V..

its doing pretty good and is headed in a good direction

compared to the general stock market

anyone gonna go liquid anytime soon?

I sold off a small chunk of V to lock in some profits at 80, which in hindsight was a pretty sharp move because of the dip on Friday.

I still feel like it'll hit the 100 sometime this month, here's hoping :D