Esef

skistar

since the last ESEF thread got axed and Steven is now banned I assume it's safe to start a new one since there are several people breaking in the first batch and the new batch (including the 21 oz sky) is starting to arrive. I think I am one of the first people to receive the Sky. First 21 oz denim I've ever felt and they are HEAVY. Good constuction throughout and a decent cut too although a little too "work wear" for me... I sized up a size too since they only have even sizes.

DSC04014.jpg

fit pics

DSC04026.jpgDSC04025.jpg

denim compared to my flatheads

DSC04027.jpg

denim detail shots

DSC04031.jpg

DSC04020.jpg

DSC04035.jpg

I'm fascinated by their pricing scheme. After the first run of the Ori and the preorder shipment of the Sky, they bumped it $100 for BOTH. Who's backing them now that they think they can push a brand new line that seems to have lukewarm reception (poor here, decent on SF) like that? Or did they realize they can't sustain their business under the low price (ref Kiya saying a limited run can cost up to $26,000)?

I didn't know they bumped up the pricing... how much are they now? $220 or something?

Also, I don't think they actually make the jeans themselves, in my e-mail's from Steven I recall him saying how they were being shipped from japan so I think he just designs them and has them made over there...

^^^

cheapest pair listed on the site is $245

So . . . his 21 oz denim is $285 (+ shipping). For $240 I can get non-selvage Iron Hearts with similar looking but much darker denim, for $295 I can get Selvage Iron Hearts, again, similar looking but darker denim. I know Iron Hearts are invincible, I know how they'll fit. Given his sizing issues from the last run, and lack of a record, along with lack of information... I mean, how are the 21 ozs stitched, chain stitched yet, or still unchainstitched, and so on, I can't imagine who he is expecting to sell to for those prices.

Dang. Bringing back the esef eh. Considering I was the last thread starter I thought I'd post here too...

I do understand his pricing and whatnot, he needs to make money right? Things would be better if he didn't suck so much at public relations. Especially shit like "oh uh I can't respond to emails" but if you pester him enough what do you get? An email response explaining the situation.

I hated his fucking shady techniques which is why I'd never support him again. I only did because the pricing was cheap, but how the fuck do I tell you three times "I need you to change the shipping address since you are taking so long to ship" and yet you STILL ship to my old address, making me almost lose the package. On top of that, I said I wanted a size 30 yet he ships me a size 32 which made me have to part with them since the fit was terrible on me.

I really did like his denim and what not, and his future stuff looks interesting (bamboo anyone?). But I'd never buy from him again knowing that he can't even take a few minutes of his day to respond to emails or reply on a message board.

I mean look at Ande Whall, he responds all the time and people are more than happy with his business. I don't know if people should be so quick to support Steve again though...

I'm fascinated by their pricing scheme. After the first run of the Ori and the preorder shipment of the Sky, they bumped it $100 for BOTH. Who's backing them now that they think they can push a brand new line that seems to have lukewarm reception (poor here, decent on SF) like that? Or did they realize they can't sustain their business under the low price (ref Kiya saying a limited run can cost up to $26,000)?

im pretty sure he sold everything at cost when they were like $120, and now that he's got some pairs out there he's trying to make a little back to put into new jeans and materials or something. I know from his storys that jeans are really expensive to get in small runs ($100/pair from the factory or something), i think that was his marketing scheme though just to get a customer base.

hope this thread goes better than the last, there are a couple pairs out there getting some decent wear that i'd love to follow

^ya, hopefully everyone that's been getting good wear into their oris will post progress pictures.

I didnt order with the first batch but I did read through the first ESEF thread and was a little worried reading through it. I actually had really good luck with e-mail correspondence with Steve. He was helpful with sizing questions and I also had to change shipping address' halfway throughout the waiting process.

I know a lot of you had to wait much longer than promised to receive your jeans. I think Steve purposely told us all a much later date so we would all be happy when we received them sooner than expected. We were told (everyone that pre-ordered the Sky) that the jeans would export japan around April 10th and would them be shipped to us around the end of April. I received mine yesterday which was at least a week or two before I was expecting them.

Pricing wise... That's a tough call. I realize that everyone running a business has the ultimate goal of making money but I wouldnt be lying if I said the only reason I purchased these was the price on the pre-order. I certainly didnt need another pair of jeans and will probably end up re-selling them but at $120 shipped I couldnt really pass up 21oz selvedge denim. Although the Sky is well constructed and very heavy duty its certainly hard to put them into the same category as my Flatheads or Imperials which are now right in the same price.

Bottom line- I'm overall impressed with the communication, service, price (@ the $120 pre-order of course), and the denim itself. He may have to reconsider his pricing plan if he wants to continue selling jeans but I think he is at least taking leaps and bounds towards bettering his business practices and I look forward to seeing fture products from ESEF

I sent steve an email asking him if he would still honor the 40% off all new purchases for the original 50 people who pre-bought the Ori (he changed that down to 35%, but I have his original email that says 40%). It's been a day. He hasn't gotten back to me.

I agree with theetruscan. At $280, these jeans have got some pretty high competition. Ironheart and if you pay a little more, Sam S5000XX 21oz. Eternal and SDA also released 21oz models (quickly sold out, sure, but there's every chance that they will release again) under this price range. The bamboo ones look interesting enough, but I wouldn't cop at $345. There are much better denim to be had in that price range.

The discount is 30% (he stated it in the thread) but I DOUBT he'd fucking honor it. I mean, he makes small runs as it is, why would he give such a significant discount for EVERY future purchase to EVERYONE that bought the original run? He'd probably markup the price like 200% to make any profit at all which is why the prices are probably so expensive now anyway.

I want to see some of the bamboo jeans upclose. Bamboo is going to get huge for clothing and light construction in the years to come, it grows fast and is a metric fuckton more sustainable than cotton.

You have to give him credit for not just giving up after SuFu took a shit on him (I saw the thread when lurking), trying to get going in this kind of niche market takes balls and mistakes.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got my skys on friday and I have to say, I think Steven did everything right this time around. I never waited more than 24 hours for a response and he was always extremely helpful. I think he learned from his mistakes last time so he told everyone that they would be shipped from Japan on April 10th, but in actuality, the scheduled date was much earlier. Everyone ended up getting their jeans much earlier than expected.

Overall, I am very impressed with quality of the jeans. The denim itself is very beautiful and feels really tough. I've never seen anything quite like it. This time around, the hem is actually straight and the construction is pretty solid. I'd definitely recommend them.

Here is a pic that shows a closeup of the denim: IMG_1839.jpg

I just got my Skys in the mail. Size 34, same as my Oris. Paid a little extra for express shipping and got them in 4 days. Steve has been pretty good with the emails this time round. And he honored the first 50 customer discount.

That being said, I probably wouldn't have purchased these at the full retail price. I would have gotten a pair of Ironhearts instead. I own a pair of Ironhearts, and it seems that on these jeans, the denim just feels a little lighter/thinner. The construction doesn't seem to be as good as Ironheart. Whether the denim is better than Ironhearts, I'll have to find out from wear, but they do feel softer.

I own a pair of Ironhearts, and it seems that on these jeans, the denim just feels a little lighter/thinner. The construction doesn't seem to be as good as Ironheart. Whether the denim is better than Ironhearts, I'll have to find out from wear, but they do feel softer.

This is what Steve has said on AuthenticForum

Differences

Sky is made with softer ELS cotton, Different weave construction, Ori is a tighter weave and is stiff, the Sky is woven at low tension and is more breathable, also a very soft denim. They feel amazing!

The Sky has bigger front pockets than the ori's that are in stock right now. Sky has esef embroidered in indigo thread on the waist band. ORIs in stock have screenprinted on waist band. They are pretty much the same cut but feel completely different when wearing them.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
heyy do they still sell them on the site? I was thinking about purchasing a pair but it seems like the site hasnt been updated for a month, would i still be getting my pair of jeans if i order now?

I just got my Skys in the mail today. The denim is amazing and thick, yet comfortable. They were shipped in less than 4 days with no complications whatsoever. Steven was responsive on the emails and generous with shipping. My experience with Esef was positive and effortless, and would assume yours to be as well.

if anyone is a size 32, you should pick up the 1 of 1 prototype of the r20 model

a lot of new details on these

http://www.esefdenim.blogspot.com/

P1030706_2.jpg

went back to my e-mail to find the new specs:

-20.25 ounce denim

-sanforized.

-added a slight curve to the back pockets

-all the embroidery is black

-rivets are the same but in a nickel finish.

-there is one more button now in the fly

-added flat flush copper hidden rivets behind the back pockets

-added a chain stitch to the lower waist band, as well as to the hems

-pocket bags are natural colored organic cotton.

-added a small limited edition tag that they can hand number.

-construction thread is a darker copper color

-front pocket openings are bigger than the skys.

-the coin pocket is slightly deeper

-the belt loops are sewn nice and clean under the waist band.

-added a nice paper tag with japanese washing instructions on it.

i haven't gotten an e-mail back from him in a while so i don't know for sure

but according to the blog, they'll be ready by mid 09

P1030706_2.jpg

• 4 weeks later...