watchmen, the movie

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally i think Snyer did a good job with the movie as a Graphic Novel adaptation. yes the removal of one character hurt the ending a bit, but all and all i was pretty suprised with how much i enjoyed it.

as a standalone action film (for the casual film goer with NO knowledge of the comic what so ever) id have to say it was pretty weak and not that good at all.

I thought it was great. Shit definitely went a little indulgent at times but otherwise it's kind of mindblowing to see how much love Snyder and crew had for the universe of the Watchmen comic. The opening montage and many little details were better than I could have imagined.

However I think the movie was also a testament to why movies should never be adapted from comic books so directly. There were points in the movie where obviously one issue of the comic ended and another began but from a non-fan point of view it was stilted storytelling and terrible editing.

Did anyone else notice that Veidt had a folder called "Boys" in the disc that Nite Owl and Rorsch hacked into? I loled.

after thinking this movie over for a couple days, i really have to say, the overindulgence of the cheesiness of the film truly made it, the opening scene/credit montage was mind blowing,. and Rorschach was easily the most badass character ive ever seen in a film.

Rorschach was easily the most badass character ive ever seen in a film.

heath ledger's joker.....in recent memory? :(

we've been blessed with morally difficult comic book characters in movies, which is enjoyable. they've also had the coolest costumes - rorschach's mask and hat, joker's vivienne westwood suits...

anyone else peeved by the forrest gumpy soundtrack?

all in all, i kinda disliked it. i was pissed that so many philosophical themes and character depths which were building blocks to the story were stripped and replaced with heightened "superhero" themes. i duno...

i thought they did an amazing job w/ the comedian, btw. i got a lot more out of his character from the movie than the book...

anyone else notice how the Ozy action figure figure was the same look as in the novel? (Instead of making it look like the movie's Ozy)

anyone see the black freighter yet? i got a code of some sort when i bought my movie tickets. I'll try to watch it tonight.

was entertained until the last ten minutes. despite what happens in the GN, the movie should have ended with the pan out of ozy in antarctica after everyone had left. everything after that was a bit painful.

rorschach actually nailed it, which i was surprised about. comedian was supremely badass. music sucked... with the exception of all along the watchtower which i can accept. the sound of silence should actually have been actual silence + rain.

homage to coppala during the vietnam bit? the wagner tune, and the god-like worshipping part were a bit suspect. maybe too thin though...

I was also surprised at how little you saw Doc Manhattan's penis consider every review I read made a huge deal of it. I seriously thought Snyder jiggled it in front of the camera in slo-mo or something the way every reviewer could not get over its presence in the film.

was entertained until the last ten minutes. despite what happens in the GN, the movie should have ended with the pan out of ozy in antarctica after everyone had left. everything after that was a bit painful.

rorschach actually nailed it, which i was surprised about. comedian was supremely badass. music sucked... with the exception of all along the watchtower which i can accept. the sound of silence should actually have been actual silence + rain.

homage to coppala during the vietnam bit? the wagner tune, and the god-like worshipping part were a bit suspect. maybe too thin though...

my sentiments exactly. plus the sex scene was gratuitous.

just watched it and to be honest i was a little disappointed though i still think it was well worth seeing. I liked the design , mood and characters. I kinda hated the fights, some of the character development choices and how cliche some scenes were. Overall I think it fluctuates too much between near greatness and b-movie trash.... but luckily the film overall keeps its head above water so to speak

watched movie.

how/why did rorschach's rorschach ink on his mask move?

did not like his voice, not supposed to sound like that.

Funny that you should say that because his voice is literally written into the comic. Its formatted as such to imply it was deep, cracked, and filled with the anger of an unstable man.

Oh if you ever hear Moore do a reading he reads his voice exactly how it was portrayed.

Funny that you should say that because his voice is literally written into the comic. Its formatted as such to imply it was deep, cracked, and filled with the anger of an unstable man.

Oh if you ever hear Moore do a reading he reads his voice exactly how it was portrayed.

does he make a sexy voice for womens or is it like falsetto bullshit.

Moore reads it as Rorschach towards the end, around 4 min.

qKebCtCTbCA

Movie sucked and the ending sucked. They made it clear cut that Ozymandias was behind it all, not to mention making him out as a villain. No squid sucked. Some of the little changes in detail weren't needed - I think if they left alone that watch deal with the Osterman flashback it would have actually added to his character (why would they make it his watch?).

Hollis didn't die in the theatre cut, but they shot the scene. Night Owl II wasn't fat enough, costume wasn't as cool as it was in the comic. Comedian and Rorschach were seemingly the only characters that were portrayed well (well, except when Laurie flashes back and realizes Comedian's her father).

dang... i thought the movie would be better... seemed sorta rushed and Night Owl looked like some second rate hero... Rorschach was awesome though.

reading != film

right, einstein. my point is that he has publicly stated that a visual work is unadaptable into other medium (film) and then has himself adapted it into another medium (reading aloud).

i would say it reeks of hypocrisy but he is probably just being disingenuous about his reasons for not wanting to be associated with film adaptations.

^that's an simplistic and poorly reasoned point - reading aloud does not equate to a movie adaptation.

He does not want to be associated with the film adaptation because it is not longer "his" vision. Reading the story aloud allows him to flesh out how he exactly wants the characters to sound and how he, the creator (most importantly), would have them portrayed. It is safe to assume that he constantly was reading aloud the dialogue as he was writing it to help him both visualize the characters as well as further resolve their personas on the page and give them a definitive voice (both in his mind and that of the reader).

It can't be hypocritical if he is doing the dramatic reading of his OWN work. He disassociated with the project because it ceased to be his OWN work and became Zack Snyder's. Obviously Moore has his own reasons other than that for disengaging his name from the project (though the basis is still his), but it doesn't exactly challenge his artistic integrity since HE didn't make the movie.