korea :: seoul :: general

thomas_highstreet

I hadn't been to Samcheongdong in awhile and I went over recently to find some decent Korean food, and it turns out that the place is a fucking shitshow nowadays, it's packed with people day and night and they've opened a Dunkin Donuts and a Kraze Burger there, what a fucking shame.

are you serious?! when i was in seoul samcheongdong was just sleepy cafes and galleries... that was only last summer! dunkin donuts and kraze burger is a bit much. fuck.....

that really does suck.

how much scratch you got to put down on a big square footage spot? if my shit goes well in my preliminary 3months ill rent a place yearly. maybe a net cafe or 'mixed use' space.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm gonna be in Seoul next Saturday and Sunday. My girlfriend wants to go to an onsen/spa type place and keeps saying we should go to "Dragon Spa". Name by itself sounds "touristy" so wanted to get the skinny if there are any decent spas in Seoul.

i havent been to many "saunas/spas" jjimjilbangs. but that dragonhill one is fcking badass. easily, the nicest one ive been to. they have this "ice room" which is basically just a giant ass freezer, or like those vegetable rooms in costco but helluva lot colder. and there are a lot of foreigners (people traveling/visiting) as well as koreans so chances for good conversations all around.

yeah i went there months ago, it is very touristy, shit there was a magician performing on the center stage, but it is pretty solid for a sauna. actually one of the new girls at my school said she wanted to check it out this weekend too, but whatever. its fairly cheap too, but i didnt get a massage or dinner there the time i went but i cant imagine it be too damaging to the wallet.

to give a better perspective; from my birth until the mid 80's, I grew up in Shinchon, same neighborhood as I live in now, in a traditional Korean house. The toilet was outside, it had a cement courtyard, the regular deal. The grey house in the second to last picture would've been built around that time or later probably and would've been considered baller as hell back then, it actually still is, as far as Korea goes. If it is near where I am guessing it is, it's probably worth a million dollars. (0)

One more question.

I'm looking to buy a new Camille Fournet (http://www.cfjapon.co.jp/collection/goods/002308.html) wallet and I'm thinking it might be cheaper to grab it in Korea.

Is this leather goods label available in Korea?

05-36530b.jpg

very doubtful, there's an extremely limited market for that kind of stuff here beyond old-guard big names, but I am surprised sometimes as the small boutiques sometimes have surprising stuff. It is sale season though, so shopping will be good on certain things for you and we do have things here and there worth buying sometimes. You can also get a tax refund (I think 10%?) in addition to the 30-40% off sales plus the huge exchange rate windfall you get, 130yen to a 1000W; which means coppin time dude.

This place is actually completely empty and in the process of being torn down to make way for a newer development. The buildings have their windows smashed out and doors often off the hinges.

pict0319w.jpg

This is basically my neighborhood but people still live there. I live in the area with second highest land value. 10 years ago it was the Bundang of Seoul. Laughing if Bundang turns to shit like this too.

^ re-development probably building new apartment complex.
Yup. In this case it is taking quite a while to tear everything down and apparently they have been some legality issues with the construction company. I am not sure of the details, though. The area is 답십리 16구역. Someday it seems it will look like this:

b4e4bdcab8ae16b1b8bfaac.jpg

dddkjhyon70.jpg

and everyone will magically be happy.