korea :: seoul :: general

thomas_highstreet

you're absolutely right..

well I'm used to philadelphia winters which I believe are about 10 degrees warmer than seoul's temps on average..

the problem is that I have an extremely low tolerance to the cold..

like I shit bricks when I see drunk white dudes on the street walk from bar to bar in a t-shirt in 30F weather. my mind cannot register it.

I'm sitting here, indoors, in jeans and a uniqlo thermal and I still have goosebumps from constant shivers because I don't have socks on.

question for all those that have braved through seoul winters..

uniqlo thermals sufficient?

or should I drop $200 on under armour cold gear compression tops and leggings?

i dont know i have only been rocking the uniqlo thermals, undershirts and long underwear, and its been tolerable but its getting bad. im handling a little better than i though i would, since im from california and all, but it still sucks.

yo stock up on the uniqlo thermals and just stack them up. I wear the vneck under the long sleeve a cashmere sweater scarf and jacket keeps my upper body warm but my legs are always cold even with the heat tech thermal. 2 socks help alot too.

I have been wearing the heat tech tights and remaining slightly cold. I just picked up the heat tech waffle knit ones today, though, and they helped to keep me completely fine while walking/standing around tonight. I know it will get colder still, but I seriously feel like I'd be able to manage with these. They're damn magic.

it's cold as fuck. I think it's beeen -9C lately

I am wearing:

Uniqlo boxer briefs

Uniqlo heat tech half tights

Uniqlo heat tech full tights (all three have the peen flap but actually getting the peen through all three at once would be an olympic sport)

APC NS

Hanes v neck tee

TOJ oxford

My ondol is cranked to like 65C on the thermostat (I think that is just the constant water temp guage) but i'm still cold in my apt.

Gonna stay mostly inside for tomorrow, and make a run to Uniqlo for some sweaters and more heat tech, but I should be ok.

its going to be -12C tomorrow. all the uniqlo in the world will not prevent from the cold seeping in your ass and shriveling your balls.

i'm going to have one hell of a day tomorrow going to visit factories and ride the no.1 line, the majority of which are located outside in the open as opposed to being located underground.

making jawns is serious business.

• 4 weeks later...

i dont see teh reason why u still cant hang out in seoul? my friends and i live in suwon and songtan, about an hour away from hongdae or gangnam, and what we do is just stay at teh club till 5am when the subways start back up again. and if u didnt wanna do that, u can stay at a jjimjilbang to give ur friends a korean experience they wont forget.

Man, I would've probably blown my head off by now if I lived in Suwon or Songtan, from sheer boredom and frustration. I can't even be fucked to go to any place in Gangnam more than once a month or every two months, and it's only a ten dollar cab ride and 30 minutes or so of riding.

I haven't even eaten at my local McDonald's recently because it's three blocks away.

don't have the patience to wait for McDonald's delivery, and have a huge hatred for lukewarm burgers that have warm lettuce and sauce, and cold fries. McDonald's delivery sounds like a good idea, but I don't think it works unless you're completely drunk.

don't have the patience to wait for McDonald's delivery, and have a huge hatred for lukewarm burgers that have warm lettuce and sauce, and cold fries. McDonald's delivery sounds like a good idea, but I don't think it works unless you're completely drunk.

the closest mcdonalds is about a three minute drive from my house but they take an hour to deliver two cheeseburgers and a 10 piece chicken mcnuggets. bastards.

the only times ive ever gotten mcds delivery was drunk lol. at each time it seems like they deliver instantly (cuz im half passed out during the time it takes for them to bring it)

Man, I would've probably blown my head off by now if I lived in Suwon or Songtan, from sheer boredom and frustration. I can't even be fucked to go to any place in Gangnam more than once a month or every two months, and it's only a ten dollar cab ride and 30 minutes or so of riding.

I haven't even eaten at my local McDonald's recently because it's three blocks away.

lol. tho i do go clubbing at least once a week, i really dont like it, and if i lived ne closer to those places im sure my friends and i would be going at least a few times a week. lucky for me the skateboarding scene is alive and well in suwon.

Greasy,

I will have to hit you up in a few weeks when i get to Seoul...I cannot wait to skate some new spots...even if it's bitch cold outside. its good to hear suwon has a skate scene....skating is a great way to make friends and meet people, at least it was in japan.

i was going to bring a bunch of extra decks, but are they widely available/affordable/good quality wood? if so that would be awesome...less stuff to pack..more room for clothes

Greasy,

I will have to hit you up in a few weeks when i get to Seoul...I cannot wait to skate some new spots...even if it's bitch cold outside. its good to hear suwon has a skate scene....skating is a great way to make friends and meet people, at least it was in japan.

i was going to bring a bunch of extra decks, but are they widely available/affordable/good quality wood? if so that would be awesome...less stuff to pack..more room for clothes

all the boards here are all imported from america. but they dont have that many brands. off the top of my head, u can get all of dwindle dists stuff (enjoi,almost, blind, darkstar) girl, toy machine, and chocolate. skateboarding as u can expect is no where near as big in america, and its smaller than japan. so all the decks are priced accordingly, the cheapest u can get a deck for is like 70k and the american brand boards are gonna be around 90k. which is like 20-30 usd more than ur used to.

shoes too are hella expensive, and if ur bigger than a size 9.5 good luck finding shoes. if u like fallen shoes, ill take u to a spot that sells them really cheap tho lol. i think they are fake, but they seem to hold up well enuff. ull soon find out that the majority of korean skaters wear fallens haha. and speaking of japan, they opened up a murasaki sports here :-D but its in pyeongtaek, hour 20 away from seoul, and the worst price gouger of all the korean skate shops lol.

this is epic. come march toj will be fat motherfuckers.

damn it i leave in march. im curious as to how korean tacos at taco bell would be. but then again i almost never hit up taco bell back home