Naked & Famous Denim

terutt

I just soaked my N&F BiG collab first time yesterday, it´s 21 oz and now it feels like it´s 24 oz or something, damn they almost stand by themselves...CRAZY! :) I´m really looking into purchasing the Elephant Skinny Guys...but still deciding on them.

I heard the shuttle loom had trouble weaving this denim...some needle broke off or something.. crazy stuff

his suppliers nearly have a stroke everytime he has a new creation... next is some banana plant extraction denim i've been told. =D

Some of the heavier denims (32 oz) are woven on carpet looms if I'm not mistaken.

Whats so special about Elephant Selvedge? Is it firmer than N&F's 21 oz denim? And whats this about pink selvedge ears?

The elephant is only 19oz, but it's weaved to be a tougher fabric on the outside, very soft on the inside.

the selvedge ears, they are just saying it's pink slevedge, that's it.

does anyone fine that the NF denim fabric is awesome, but their construction could use some work? my 24 oz are falling apart at the seams i'll have to send them back to get repairs, it's weird.

or maybe it's just the weight of the fabric that the thread doesn't stick?

my weird guy DI's made it through some tough shit over the course of the year that I wore them....crotch hole aside, mine held up like champs.

as to your issue, I feel they didn't adjust their sewing / thread situation enough for the heavier fabric, thus the actual jean falling apart. mayhaps its this?

my weird guy DI's made it through some tough shit over the course of the year that I wore them....crotch hole aside, mine held up like champs.

as to your issue, I feel they didn't adjust their sewing / thread situation enough for the heavier fabric, thus the actual jean falling apart. mayhaps its this?

i would have to assume this.

they didn't upgrade their thread quality for the thicker fabric and it isn't holding.

The elephant is only 19oz, but it's weaved to be a tougher fabric on the outside, very soft on the inside.

the selvedge ears, they are just saying it's pink slevedge, that's it.

does anyone fine that the NF denim fabric is awesome, but their construction could use some work? my 24 oz are falling apart at the seams i'll have to send them back to get repairs, it's weird.

or maybe it's just the weight of the fabric that the thread doesn't stick?

I second your abservation 100%, as i can predict the fly area and the crotch will get premature wearout.

A rivet at the bottom of the fly would definitely have been a nice addition to the Elephants. Maybe saving some money on the useless and ugly superthick leather patch. I really like the fabric and the cut, though

Weird Guy Indigo

soaking these puppies in warm water for 30 minutes to help the knee bulge and any excess stretching n shit - hopefully it'll shrink the inseams a bit because they are ridiculously long

check it out (sorry for the crappy pictures - 4 weeks worn)

Wetjeanshangingdry.jpg

Jeansinbath.jpg

the problem with the pre-soak is that they were way too long and kinda uncomfortable

the colour is the same btw, its just my phone had flash and not my camera.

quite frankly the post-soak fit better imo.. stacks and knee bulging in the pre-soaks were ridiculous

Post soak fit looks good. They will stretch out. and the weave tightened up and gained a lot of character with the soak, plus the starch is gone = healthier jeans.

I'm a bit confused as to why alot of you guys are pre-soaking your N & F's.... I own 2 pairs and have never attempted to pre-soak because this denim is Sanforized... What am I missing here? Shrinkage should be extremely minimal from a pre-soak. :confused:

after a soak and if you wear them a bit damp they will fit better to your body.

also there will be a slight amount of shrinkage regardless, so you can set your fades in where you want them.

also there will be a slight amount of shrinkage regardless, so you can set your fades in where you want them.

Gotcha.... Mine fit me very well from the first wear. I guess I personally didnt need it...

I never wore them when they were damp, I just waited until they dryed out by anyways the fit is a lot better than pre-soak.

It's not just for initial fit, it's for fade placement too. Unless you never wash your jeans period, your fades and honeycombs will move out of position after a wash if you don't pre-soak.

this ^

not worth the risk, plus there is some starch from the manufacturing process, you might want to wash out.

It's not just for initial fit, it's for fade placement too. Unless you never wash your jeans period, your fades and honeycombs will move out of position after a wash if you don't pre-soak.

this ^

not worth the risk, plus there is some starch from the manufacturing process, you might want to wash out.

I'm a bit confused as to why alot of you guys are pre-soaking your N & F's.... I own 2 pairs and have never attempted to pre-soak because this denim is Sanforized... What am I missing here? Shrinkage should be extremely minimal from a pre-soak. :confused:

I think it is wise to soak denim anyway, as there are sanforized denims that shrink minimally and others that shrink a fair bit. Obviously nothing like unsanforized, but just to stay on the safe side... If in doubt, soak.

The elephants don't seem to feel the water at all, as i just got 0.25 in the waist (and it stretched back out and beyond in 2-3 wears) after a one hour and forty minutes hot soak.

damn it's hard to take good pictures.

here you go denim sluts. 24 oz. Indigo Denim

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

as you can see, having quality issues.

will likely have to send it to montreal for repairs.

Brandon nice enough not to charge for it!

4 weeks of heavy wear, slept in them, worked in them, studied, went to class.

1 hot soak after about 4 days.

Nice fit, but, damn, construction is pretty shitty.

I really think it will happen to my pair too, given enough time

agreed, i think mostly they didn't get stronger thread to compensate for the thick, tough denim.

you can see the denim is perfect, but the threads are just coming apart.

I've gotten my Skinny Guy 19ozer Elephant denim today. Was deciding between this or Samurai S710. Am looking for a 19ozer with a modern slim cut so decided on N&F in the end. Here's a mini review for people on the fence about buying one:

DSCF0735.jpg

Pro:

Went TTS, the fit is pretty spot on for a slim modern look ( a little bit similar to DH 19cm when you size down 1) although sizing down one on skinny guy will yield even better result but you have to ask yourself how much do you trust N&F stitch quality under tension by heavy fabric.

Ball space. The fit actually gives you ball space when you go TTS like Ande Whall Raker. Which is always good for health reason.

Pretty comfortable fabric despite the thickness.

Indigo rubs off easily. This is a pro for me as I wanted something that's not so stubborn. Hopefully it can show some good result in 6 months.

Cheap! Cost 50% of S710. I think for peeps living in US you can get it for around USD$120 with discount code which translates to around 40% of S710.

Con (I think these are the same with other N&F):

No hidden rivets.

No chain stitch hem.

Boring hardware.

Threads used for thick leather patch are very thin. The threads ain't gonna last long. Wonder why they are stingy in this area when they are using such a thick patch. The rest of the construction throughout the denim seems Ok. Not great but not too shabby either.

Unknown fade result. I know that some N&F fabrics fade poorly. So this is pretty much a gamble to invest time in it. S710 on the other hand is a very safe bet for great fading outcome.

Verdict: For that price point it is totally worth it provided you've gotten a good pair because QA for N&F isn't exactly good (so its a bit of a hit and miss). Hopefully the fading don't disappoint.

this probably is a stupid question but anyways:

is it bad to keep uncuffing and cuffing my jeans? some shoes, like my redwings for instance, I like to cuff my jeans when I wear them but some other shoes, like my vans, I like to uncuff. so should I just pick one and stick with it or should is it fine to keep doing what I'm doing?

I'm asking because I heard cuffing makes your stacks look retarded post-wash..

im new lol thanks!