Naked & Famous Denim

terutt

^ My opinion is that you do what you feel like. I´ve been cuffing my jeans on and of for years and they´re all good. So do what you feel like at the moment.

I really would like to get a fit like the skinny guys, and a fabric like the 710s.

Obviously i don't expect much in terms of fading quality from the elephants, but the color is nice and the cut is damn good.

I've actually got a pit of Sam's 710 coming my way, but i think i'll definitely not like the relatively high rise and will end up selling them straight away

I really would like to get a fit like the skinny guys, and a fabric like the 710s.

Obviously i don't expect much in terms of fading quality from the elephants, but the color is nice and the cut is damn good.

I've actually got a pit of Sam's 710 coming my way, but i think i'll definitely not like the relatively high rise and will end up selling them straight away

Ya you hit the nail. Skinny fit with 710 fabric is GOLD. But then again elephant's fabrics are so dark I am really curious how they will fade

Nice fit is the size your true waist size? I think I'm going to pick up a pair of skinny guys soon and I hope that's what they look like.

Normally i wear 29 in nudies and ALD. I bought the skinny guy in 31x34 because i could not get the jeans above my knee when trying a 29.

So sized up 2 sizes.

I just got my pair of Weird Guys in the Elephant denim in a 28. I have to say, they're definitely stiff! The waist is tight, and I can manage to button all of them (uncomfortably) if I suck it up. Ordered a pair of the Skinny Guys in a 28 to compare the two as well, but couldn't fit those past my knees.

My question is, do you guys think these will stretch a lot? And should I presoak just to get the shrinkage out of the way before stretching them out?

I just got my pair of Weird Guys in the Elephant denim in a 28. I have to say, they're definitely stiff! The waist is tight, and I can manage to button all of them (uncomfortably) if I suck it up. Ordered a pair of the Skinny Guys in a 28 to compare the two as well, but couldn't fit those past my knees.

My question is, do you guys think these will stretch a lot? And should I presoak just to get the shrinkage out of the way before stretching them out?

tough to say with the elephants as it's a heavyweight. my 24oz stretched about 1" though, so I would say definitely.

i pre-soaked against advice and I'm much happier with the fit, it's better overall around the butt, thighs and the fades will set into the proper places.

tough to say with the elephants as it's a heavyweight. my 24oz stretched about 1" though, so I would say definitely.

i pre-soaked against advice and I'm much happier with the fit, it's better overall around the butt, thighs and the fades will set into the proper places.

Thanks for the input man. When it comes to stretching, my main concern is that the butt and thighs will get too big. Did the soak soften the jeans and cause it to lose it's sheen at all? I like the sheen and stiffness of the starch, haha.

Thanks for the input man. When it comes to stretching, my main concern is that the butt and thighs will get too big. Did the soak soften the jeans and cause it to lose it's sheen at all? I like the sheen and stiffness of the starch, haha.

sheen and stiffness is definitely gone, probably why they fit and feel softer.

sheen is part of the chemicals and process they use in manufacturing.

stiffness is caused by starch.

you can re-starch for the stiffness, but the sheen is gone.

unless you have some formaldehyde you can dip the jeans into.

I heard starch affects the strength of the fabric so I wouldn't use too much.

sheen and stiffness is definitely gone, probably why they fit and feel softer.

sheen is part of the chemicals and process they use in manufacturing.

stiffness is caused by starch.

you can re-starch for the stiffness, but the sheen is gone.

unless you have some formaldehyde you can dip the jeans into.

I heard starch affects the strength of the fabric so I wouldn't use too much.

I definitely wouldn't starch it myself. My main concern would be the fading. I own a pair of APC Petit Standards that I've rocked hard for almost a year now and they're taking forever to fade since I had a few mishaps that required soaking. 2 soaks total and they've started fading slowly. Don't get me wrong, the honeycombs and whiskers are great but i just don't want to have to wait another 1-2 years to see any fading progress if I soak these elephant bad boys.

My main concern would be the fading.

soaking in NO WAY affects the fading of your jeans...ever heard of unsanforized denim? a la almost every high end Japanese denim brand...and the original Levi's jeans that everyone is actually basing their jeans on? you need to soak those initially to get the shrinkage out, and it not only makes the denim healthier, it tightens the weave, makes them really crispy and stiff, and there is no problem with fading at all, personally i feel the starch negatively affects the jeans, making them much harder to fade due to the smoothness of the denim, but that's just my personal opinion speaking from experience. now you are right, you don't need to soak your N&F at all, but some may want to for the reasons i listed above.

people need to understand that water isn't the enemy of raw denim, it helps it along if anything, and the thought of not washing your jeans ever because it will hurt your combs is ridiculous. just wear your jeans, do what you need to do, and they will end up coming out amazing no matter how you take care of them. hard wear always trumps "care" anyway.

Excerpt from indigoshrimp blog :P :P :P

"

Most artisan denim makers, though, meant for their jeans to be soaked before wear – the old Levi’s ‘Shrink-to-fit’ concept. Many advantages exist in soaking your jeans before you wear them, including (but not limited to): better fit, increased fabric density & strength, corrected stitch tension to fabric pull balance, removal of chemical coatings used during the manufacturing process, and removal of excess indigo (most companies tend to over-dye) so your furniture won’t be ruined. Rest assured, well-dyed Japanese denim will not suffer from excessive indigo loss – most makers actually recommend washing their denim once every month or so, to prevent bacteria & grit degradation of the denim, thus prolonging the life of the jeans (preventing crotch blow-outs, butt rips, etc).

Furthermore, what you’ll find is that vintage denim hobbyists tend to do it the old fashioned way too: shrink-to-fit (soaking or washing) before wearing them & washing them more regularly (Samurai Jeans recommends monthly wash, Sugar Cane recommends quarterly wash). In this way, you will get more authentic vintage ageing, i.e. the creases & ridges will form on the different seams, the twist in the legs will become apparent, the denim will be stronger and therefore allow longer wear, the fading will become less contrasting and more vertical, achieveing more ‘hue’, etc. This is my preferred method! I would soak before wearing even for sanforised denim, because they do shrink as well, just not as much as unsanforised denim.

"

Excerpt from indigoshrimp blog :P :P :P

"

Most artisan denim makers, though, meant for their jeans to be soaked before wear – the old Levi’s ‘Shrink-to-fit’ concept. Many advantages exist in soaking your jeans before you wear them, including (but not limited to): better fit, increased fabric density & strength, corrected stitch tension to fabric pull balance, removal of chemical coatings used during the manufacturing process, and removal of excess indigo (most companies tend to over-dye) so your furniture won’t be ruined. Rest assured, well-dyed Japanese denim will not suffer from excessive indigo loss – most makers actually recommend washing their denim once every month or so, to prevent bacteria & grit degradation of the denim, thus prolonging the life of the jeans (preventing crotch blow-outs, butt rips, etc).

Furthermore, what you’ll find is that vintage denim hobbyists tend to do it the old fashioned way too: shrink-to-fit (soaking or washing) before wearing them & washing them more regularly (Samurai Jeans recommends monthly wash, Sugar Cane recommends quarterly wash). In this way, you will get more authentic vintage ageing, i.e. the creases & ridges will form on the different seams, the twist in the legs will become apparent, the denim will be stronger and therefore allow longer wear, the fading will become less contrasting and more vertical, achieveing more ‘hue’, etc. This is my preferred method! I would soak before wearing even for sanforised denim, because they do shrink as well, just not as much as unsanforised denim.

"

soaking in NO WAY affects the fading of your jeans...ever heard of unsanforized denim? a la almost every high end Japanese denim brand...and the original Levi's jeans that everyone is actually basing their jeans on? you need to soak those initially to get the shrinkage out, and it not only makes the denim healthier, it tightens the weave, makes them really crispy and stiff, and there is no problem with fading at all, personally i feel the starch negatively affects the jeans, making them much harder to fade due to the smoothness of the denim, but that's just my personal opinion speaking from experience. now you are right, you don't need to soak your N&F at all, but some may want to for the reasons i listed above.

people need to understand that water isn't the enemy of raw denim, it helps it along if anything, and the thought of not washing your jeans ever because it will hurt your combs is ridiculous. just wear your jeans, do what you need to do, and they will end up coming out amazing no matter how you take care of them. hard wear always trumps "care" anyway.

Thanks for the advice guys, I definitely appreciate it.

Which soak would you guys recommend? Hot? Warm? Cold?

Thanks for the advice guys, I definitely appreciate it.

Which soak would you guys recommend? Hot? Warm? Cold?

Hot but not boiling. The hotter the water, the more shrinkage you get, but around boiling temperatures, the leather patch tends to get destroyed. I typically use the hottest that the tap will get, assuming that my water heater is set on "normal" for temperature.

As I was leaving the warehouse yesterday, we had a knock on our door. The Momotaro x Naked & Famous Denim jeans has finally arrived!

Made in Okayama, with 14oz rope dyed indigo selvedge denim. These are simply a work of art. The construction is amazing. They feature everything you would come to expect from a pair of Momotaro jeans. Iron buttons, copper rivets, hidden rivets, peek-a-boo selvedge coin pocket, raised belt loops, Union Special chain stitch hems, and the signature Momotaro pink inseam. Since this is the Canada x Japan collaboration, we even did printed Canadian, and Japanese flags on the inside pocket bags. The story of Momotaro is also included with each pair. These are made in the Skinny Guy fit. This makes it the slimmest jean Momotaro has ever made, combining heritage style construction with modern fit.

The Jeans (my personal pair!)

DSC06125.jpg

Leather patch detail

DSC06126.jpg

Pocket flasher, inside the pocket is the Momotaro Story

DSC06128.jpg

Front detail

DSC06135.jpg

Coin pocket detail

DSC06147.jpg

Momotaro label

DSC06148.jpg

Pocket bags

DSC06151.jpg

Hidden rivets

DSC06153.jpg

Selvedge & stitching detail

DSC06155.jpg

These look fucking incredible

I'm sure they do but that would mean I'd be paying retail for them ;)

Thats true.

The guy who I spoke to told me Barney's within the next 10-14 days. I'll have to try them on, but the attention to detail is unreal, particularly those pocket bags.

Pretty stoked to see these, they look amazing. Does anyone know the price range? I'm guessing pretty pricey.