If you fart and cough at the same time...

organic ketchup

one usually happens 1-2 seconds before or after the other, because the timing is so difficult to execute those two at the same exact moment, not to mention the occurence of the two happening within close range is about as often as a lunar eclipse.

i dont think we should argue about the occurence. if it is humanly possible to do both at the same time, then it has without a doubt occured when observers were present. the only question is whether or not one sound muffles the other. my opinion is that it depends on the kind of fart it is. pretty much depending on the state of the buttocks, you will get an explosive/popping sound, a repeated "machine-gun sound," or sound resulting only from the sphincter. in the first two cases, the sound will be very loud for a short period of time, so unless the cough is extremely loud, most everyone will be able to percieve the fart. i think this is a good enough answer.

this is also one of the dumbest discussions i've ever seen.

I have the answer as a result of a moment from the eighth grade which I somehow still remember. Something caused me to sneeze a rather large sneeze (I know it isn't really a cough) which forced me to simultaneously fart a particularly loud fart. By the looks on the faces of every guy in the room, they heard the fart loud and clear, but none of the females in the room were any wiser. I felt like I had just gotten away with robbing a bank.

it completely depends on the volume. sneezing especially can be quite loud, and with the gas most likely being accidental (or not..?) it can be somewhat quiet, so theres a good chance the sneezing will cover it. timing is also key, but if its by accident, chances are the timing is quite autopiloted.

Well, the reason I posed this question is because I have a 2.5 hour evening class on Thursdays, and last week I went out to a seafood buffet for lunch and then straight to class. I had mussels, clams, and a bunch of crab cakes. Shit... I had so much gas in class.... I was letting it out little by little, but it wasn't doing any good. So I let a BIG one rip and coughed loudly with the hope it would cover up the sound of the fart. I think it worked, but now I have to figure out a way to cover up the smell discreetly.

Wasn't there an episode of Family Guy where Peter tried to cover his fart with coughing? Didn't work. Funny though.

Otherwise, this one can get submitted on MythBusters.

Wasn't there an episode of Family Guy where Peter tried to cover his fart with coughing? Didn't work. Funny though.

ya thats the first thing i thought of when i saw this thread. i tried to find a clip on youtube but they dont have it. there's also an episode of the simpsons where homer tries to cover up the smell of his fart by turning up the radio :P

I've farted and coughed at the same time. It was a quick type fart (non-machine gun) and I think the cough was loud enough to cover the sound... but not the smell.

This usually happens when you're holding in a fart and then all of a sudden cough. Muscles relaxe and your fart escapes.

this kid i know named mike ahearn shitted and puked at the same time when he was blackout drunk.

so we call that "hearning"

I've totally done this before. Its absolutely miserable. It has gone down without question as the worst shitting experience of my life.

I've totally done this before. Its absolutely miserable. It has gone down without question as the worst shitting experience of my life.

according to my pharmacist gf, if you become constipated enough you can actually vomit shit. so maybe you have a worse(er) shitting experience to come yet, fingers crossed.