Leathercrafting Creations: PYC

OptimaDies

Tuffcase is cheap...? Hollows' is really, really nice, but I imagine it was a few hundred dollars.

I love when young cyclists are super devoted and into it, but it's discouraging to sometimes see how much is carried! Full front rack, big bag for just food... that'll slow you down and be bouncing around when it's just so much quieter and simple to fill your back pockets! You should move your levers up and tilt your bars down slightly, trust me on this. :)

haha, I'm not new to the game, been riding 15 years or so. it's just a standard touring bike for camping and grocery shopping and stuff. Carrying a backpack 140 miles ain't fun! I've got a couple bikes with way less crap attached to them for road rides and around town stuff.

I will say that the bag doesn't move at all when riding, full. took a long time making sure the straps were perfect and held it tight.

What type of leather would you use to make a bag like this?

300005_mrp_fr_l.jpg

CLICK FOR BAG

I just had some of my luggage stolen and I thought I could use this as an opportunity to get something made for me. I already have a design similar to this drawn up / sketched, I just need to know what kind of leather I should use for this and around how much it would cost in terms of raw materials. Also what can I expect in terms of stretching / longevity if its not lined but just raw leather with handles and rings for a shoulder sling?

Just like BlackGoat suggested, for soft bags like this, chrome tanned leathers are used. You're gonna need some bag stiffeners for the base tho cause chrome tans are really really soft.

I recently made up one of my card cases with a vintage USN button in black. Watching natural leather evolve is fun, but I am thinking I need some black goods soon.

qnF50.jpg

HAHA.! I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN. The moment i made a design for a black office man satchel, i started thinking about belts,shoes and wallets. Its consuming meeeeeeeeeee.

Has anyone here done any molded leather stuff? I am working on a camera case that I thought would be fun to have a molded shape for the lens. Would love any tips you might have to not scratch or darken the leather prematurely when shaping. I post a pic of what I have going when I get home.

Ah, i did some wet-molding before and all i have to say is...

When you are molding the shape, always use your bone folder or horn creaser. Any thing else like a wooden handle might have a splinter or two that will most definitely fuck your leather up.

The nails that you use to pin down the leather.? Don't cheap out. Use new ones. It sucks when the rust stains your workkkk...

Same goes for your base, clean it up so nothing stains or scratches it. I once had debris from my rubber mallet staining the leather..

Hope that helps..! Have fun..!

I think I am going to change my approach to this and go for a two piece construction. But here are some photos of my first pass of molding. I was going to re-case the leather and further mold it...still might. I'll follow up again soon.

web.jpg?ver=13045306940001

web.jpg?ver=13045306960001

web.jpg?ver=13045306970001

web.jpg?ver=13045306970001

I think you might wanna go with a lower oz of leather. That looks too thick to capture a lot of details.

I think a 4 oz might turn out pretty nice.

Sup guyssss... I'm back from China with some posts to make.

IMG_5473.JPG

This is a bracelet i made playing around with stamping and dying techniques. Went for the Native style. You know. Thunderbird and such.

IMG_5481.JPG

IMG_5483.JPG

IMG_5484.JPG

IMG_5486.JPG

I was still itching to play around with some dying techniques, so i helped a friend dyed a bracelet he made for his girl. Turned out pretty nice.! Love how the natural markings on the skins are highlighted, and the heart looks like its glowing.!

need to have lots of guts to post in here.

but I want to show some of my line-up of my leather goods brand from Indonesia. still need a lot to learn.

view

view

we take overseas order. I got two orders last week came from the state and Australia. :)

can anyone recommend a edge beveler size? i didnt buy one last time i was at tandy because there were a bunch of different sizes.

ill be heading there in a few minutes.

I use..... Size 2 for thin items like wallets. Size 3 for thicker stuff like bags. Size 4 for even thicker stuff like saddles. Not that i make saddles. Haha.!

yea, you're gonna wanna stick to a 2 for basically any sort of wallet leather (I use it for belts too, I don't like a super rounded edge). also, go lightly- you dont wanna teepee your edges. just take off enough to round the corner a bit.

the nylon edge slicker never works for me. I just use the wooden handle of a tool to smooth, then some old shot bags to polish. grab a bundle of linen shot bags on eBay, run them through the wash once, and they're absolutely great for burnishing.

I stopped by Wilderness Workshop here in Boston today, they carry some of my stuff. First time I've seen any of the displays of my work, so it was pretty cool!

3u9ute7

yeahh picked the two up. that plus that nylon edge slicker and some beeswax.

definitely teepee'd the first couple practice shots. haha

Ahh.. I have the Nylon Slicker too but i never liked it. After trying to wood slicker once, i never went back. It just doesn't make sense using a super smooth material like nylon to make a slicker when burnishing requires friction.

You might wanna try out Corter's suggestion to use cloth too. Works really well.

i have an attachment for my dremel tool that is made of wood that works really well for burnishing.

Anyways, heres a few new things, a couple notebook covers:

5696869886_f4ef3e7817_z.jpg

this one is brown horween chrome exel

5696868356_d904ecf07b_z.jpg

and natural 3-4 oz veg tan

this is a really large tote bag I made using 5/6 oz veg tan and 12 oz royal blue canvas. fully lined, with a zipper pocket inside:

5661428351_939537ac84_z.jpg

5661997152_b1a0fb0f45_z.jpg

I would be careful about burnishing with power tools- there isn't as much control. I just picked up one of these multi-size wood slickers from Tandy and am looking forward to using it. I'm in the middle of putting a couple coats of polyurethane on it so the dyes do not stain the wood.

wSeGE.jpg

Beautiful tote, JAW.

Zissou, i have the exact same one at home. It works great for the straight areas, but when it comes to convex areas, it's quite annoying when the slicker slips.

Which is one of the reasons i am considering a power tool burnisher. But why is there lesser control..?