Leathercrafting Creations: PYC

OptimaDies

Laced edges are growing on me, I might have to try that soon. Nice work!

Ah...! It's oddly therapeutic..! Until the pain settles in your fingers that is...

I was lacing for at least 3-4 hours for this piece. Finger tips turned purple the next day. HAHA.!

So, where does one get a 1.5" granite tile for cheap? I e-mailed some custom kitchen top people and they never got back to me. Would 3 pieces of .5" granite tiles stacked be too fragile?

Don't email, call up someplace local.

They all get a bunch of scrap cutting to size and sink openings. Even try the box stores. No sense spending a bunch on shipping a heavy slab of granite when you can get scrap locally for little.

An antiques dealer near me keeps a bunch of scrap strewn about his lawn.

Don't email, call up someplace local.

They all get a bunch of scrap cutting to size and sink openings. Even try the box stores. No sense spending a bunch on shipping a heavy slab of granite when you can get scrap locally for little.

An antiques dealer near me keeps a bunch of scrap strewn about his lawn.

I'm going to write some places down and go trekking this month.

Find a granite counter top supplier and see if you can get samples. I know I have a 8" by 8" slab sitting in my garage that I got for free. If you just go down there and talk to them face to face you can easily walk away with something out the dumpster without spending a dime.

Spent the whole weekend working on this. Veg tanned horsehide exterior shell, cowhide interiors.

walletinteriors.jpg

walletexterior2.jpg

walletthickness.jpg

evocomparison.jpg

Comparison with the wallet that ive been using heavily for the past 2-3 months. Leather used for the exterior shell is cut from the same hide. The leather has darkened quite dramatically, and surface has become very smooth and polished. Loving the horsehide, wish I knew of sources that sell horsehide with less imperfections.

Wallet rein made some time ago

walletrein.jpg

x-post from Show your leather thread

Mixing LAMBSKIN on the external and NATURAL VEG TAN for internal set-up, we have made some mid size wallet.

Somehow, it does have a similar flavour as the cordovan leathers, but more economical :)

Top grain and awesome texture and grains, I really wonder how it will evolves in a few years time.

TAN LAMBSKIN

04042011%2B02.JPG

BROWN LAMBSKIN

04042011%2B10.JPG

INTERNAL

04042011%2B03.JPG

That horsehide bifold is sick lazybum! Only 3 card pockets?

Thanks! There are actually 4 card pockets. There is a compartment at the back of the card slots which can hold several cards. I have more pictures in my blog to illustrate that.

@Lars

That inlaid wallet is looking nice! And it probably was a lot of work :P

Would have preferred the corners to be rounded off a little though, just my opinion :)

i've never owned a piece of raw leather so just got a quick question about it...

for the tanning process to occur on my bracelet, does the leather need to be tight to the skin? do i need to oil it or treat it?

i've never owned a piece of raw leather so just got a quick question about it...

for the tanning process to occur on my bracelet, does the leather need to be tight to the skin? do i need to oil it or treat it?

Nooope. So long as there is sunlight to tan it. Fingers to give it a little "human oil" it'll age beautifully. Just don't get too caught up in achieving a certain kind of patina. After all, leather and denim goods are a reflection of one's lifestyle.

Just wear it. :D

just wanted to post that after a good cleaning, a good oiling and figuring out how to thread the bobbin.. My 29-4 is sewing like a champ!

is there a good resource for researching old sewing machines? and are there sewing machines made specifically for sewing leather? i found a really cool vintage white rotary machine that appears to be in working order, but i'm not savvy enough in this area and have no idea how well it would work for sewing leather. any help?

edit: if this this not it exactly, it's damn close. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140532146595

is there a good resource for researching old sewing machines? and are there sewing machines made specifically for sewing leather? i found a really cool vintage white rotary machine that appears to be in working order, but i'm not savvy enough in this area and have no idea how well it would work for sewing leather. any help?

edit: if this this not it exactly, it's damn close. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140532146595

yes, there machines made just for leather. That white is way over priced, I wouldn't go over $50 on that. it's a home sewing machine. You would want a walking foot type machine which would be made for leather or heavy cloth like canvas.

Check you local craigslist... their are a ton of machines on in your area...

Speaking of machines, I have a chance to buy a Singer 15-91 with cabinet in excellent condition, rewired, oiled, etc. It comes with a "box of attachments", which I hope would include the buttonholer, zigzag, and rolled hem attachments. The guy wants $195, but I'm thinking I'll try to talk him down...

Speaking of machines, I have a chance to buy a Singer 15-91 with cabinet in excellent condition, rewired, oiled, etc. It comes with a "box of attachments", which I hope would include the buttonholer, zigzag, and rolled hem attachments. The guy wants $195, but I'm thinking I'll try to talk him down...

the 15-91 is an excellent machine. Called the Farm-Wife or something like that.

It's a very tough machine, can sew leather (not too thick but some) and it has reverse. All gears no belt. $200 is kind of high. $100 would be more like it.

The attachments usually aren't the zigzag or button hole, but more the hem and ruffle stuff, in my experience. But you might get lucky. Buttonhole attachments are pretty cheap and easy to find. The zig-zag is harder though. I have a cool attachment that takes cams and does about 9 different patterns including the zig-zag.

You can't go wrong with the 15-91. If you just own one machine it's an excellent choice.