Leathercrafting Creations: PYC

OptimaDies

Can anyone explain the difference between cordovan and shell cordovan? I havebeen looking but can't find a definitive answer... Thanks in advance.

Can anyone explain the difference between cordovan and shell cordovan? I havebeen looking but can't find a definitive answer... Thanks in advance.

Well cordovan is just a color (it's basically burgundy), but shell cordovan specifically refers to a type of leather that comes from beneath the first few layers of skin on the rump of a horse. Under these layers there are two "shells" that are specially tanned and process to a high shine leather that can only be made using the shells.

And the shells themselves are actually muscle, not skin. I think that adequately explains it, but someone else may have some more technical info than I can provide.

Well cordovan is just a color (it's basically burgundy), but shell cordovan specifically refers to a type of leather that comes from beneath the first few layers of skin on the rump of a horse. Under these layers there are two "shells" that are specially tanned and process to a high shine leather that can only be made using the shells.

And the shells themselves are actually muscle, not skin. I think that adequately explains it, but someone else may have some more technical info than I can provide.

Thanks man. See I thought Cordovan was a specific kind of leather and Shell cordovan was a specific kind. if cordovan is just a color, thats why I couldnt find any details on it...

Hard to post after the beautiful work on this page, here is my attempt at a wild child style wallet, been sitting on it for a month or so now, six cardholders and hidden compartments behind them, and one pocket for cash. Let me know what you guys think.

img1318h.jpg

Doesnt look as symmetrical now that it has been sat on for a month

img1314y.jpg

Should have dyed the inside as well but got lazy

img1290mu.jpg

Whoa corp is that a Big Mac mechanic down there? That herringbone looks real familiar.

Following Blackgoat's previous workshop post, we are inspired to show the place work. Of cos, not as extensive, we are still limited to handmade with some machine to support.

Please enjoy the video :)

This is awesome! Really clean space you guys have, makes me wish I had a little more room...

Tandy buckles pretty much suck. Andyy- is it the buckle that is too bulky, or the front of the belt itself? Tanner tends to use the wire keepers, which really don't do anything to keep the belt from bulging out in front. A good leather keeper that is sized right should keep the end of the belt snug against the front. Or, is the buckle itself too wide compared to the belt?

Thanks man. See I thought Cordovan was a specific kind of leather and Shell cordovan was a specific kind. if cordovan is just a color, thats why I couldnt find any details on it...

In my understanding, "cordovan" has become a colloquial name for a specific color that shell cordovan (the type of leather rayw44 described) is pretty commonly dyed. This burgundy/eggplant color, when used on shell cordovan leather, is called "number 8". So, "cordovan" as a color has become synonymous with color "number 8" from usage on shell cordovan leather. Does that make sense?

Tandy buckles pretty much suck. Andyy- is it the buckle that is too bulky, or the front of the belt itself? Tanner tends to use the wire keepers, which really don't do anything to keep the belt from bulging out in front. A good leather keeper that is sized right should keep the end of the belt snug against the front. Or, is the buckle itself too wide compared to the belt?

well, it's actually the front of the belt itself. but i assumed that a smaller belt buckle would keep it more in tact? (idk if it makes sense)

here's a pic

img0276q.jpg

how can i fix this? is it just bad sizing?

Andyy- There are, in my opinion, a couple problems there. First, the snap used to hold the belt together is much bulkier than rivets or stitching. Second, the wire keepers really don't hold the belt snug like a properly sized leather keeper.

In my understanding, "cordovan" has become a colloquial name for a specific color that shell cordovan (the type of leather rayw44 described) is pretty commonly dyed. This burgundy/eggplant color, when used on shell cordovan leather, is called "number 8". So, "cordovan" as a color has become synonymous with color "number 8" from usage on shell cordovan leather. Does that make sense?

Thanks for clarifying. Good info!

That looks fantastic on the outside. I like the hair on hide. One tip for next time is to cut the inside pockets oversized and then trim them to fit after they are stitched on.

First attempt at bound edges, I'm pretty happy with the turnout. Contact cement was my best friend on this one.

5512862369_0591850664.jpg

5512860883_d529ed4974.jpg

Digging everything coming from everyone here, this is truly an awesome group of folks to find in the murky depths of the internet.

^i bought one today and you tweeted at me haha

anyways, I have been looking at all this hand crafted leather good stuff. can anyone point in the right direction to get started doing this on my own. i am extremely intrigued and fascinated by this and want to try my hand at it.

Can't thank everyone enough for the amazing support. I think if there's one thing I've learned in the last few years, it's that you can never have enough competition. They'll push you to be your best, and then they'll push you to be twice as good as you thought you could be (re: hollows). Here's a bag I made recently, it's a 50's laundry bag and a 30's grain bag, along with some belt scrap and a few vintage rivets from my collection.

5527961289_5e54924dbe_z.jpg

5527960415_58443e1d90_z.jpg

5527945739_7cd3485438_z.jpg