Leathercrafting Creations: PYC

OptimaDies

Actually I often wonder if many of these advices about what is good for the leather and what is not have any real evidence to it. Many a times these kind of information are spread by word, with little or no reference to hard scientific evidence. Very often our best bet is to simply follow what the old timers say and even then, there may not be a consensus on certain stuff.

leathercrafting has been around for more than a millenia. the knowledge gained and passed down isn't in need of scientific proof. there is nothing to doubt if it just works, similar with chinese medicine

leathercrafting has been around for more than a millenia. the knowledge gained and passed down isn't in need of scientific proof. there is nothing to doubt if it just works, similar with chinese medicine

Not necessarily dudes. Humans are inquisitive by nature, so its not surprising that out there, there are leather chemists. People researching on leather tanning and conditioning.

Its people like them who debunk old myths like neatsfoot oil rots threads, when its the compound neatsfoot that rots threads because of the sulphur in them. There are a bunch of leather chimistry forums out there.

Not necessarily dudes. Humans are inquisitive by nature, so its not surprising that out there, there are leather chemists. People researching on leather tanning and conditioning.

Its people like them who debunk old myths like neatsfoot oil rots threads, when its the compound neatsfoot that rots threads because of the sulphur in them. There are a bunch of leather chimistry forums out there.

Yep i've browsed through the leather chemist forums before but even in those forums there are many unresolved controversies. But at least you get all sides of the stories there.

Just out of pure curiosity, unresolved issues such as.?

I don't claim to have read through the forum thoroughly (i believe you are talking about leatherchemists.org?), since most of the information there have little relevance to me. However, i don't get a convincing case for issues like what is the best and safest way to clean leather, what kind of conditioners to use for leather etc. Ive browsed through some issues about tanning methods too and while I don't understand most of it, I can see that unresolved controversies like the type of water to use etc etc exists too.

But then again thats probably also due to the limitations of an internet forum. You will rarely find a properly set up case on a free internet forum. Most of the time you just get individuals throwing their opinions into the fray with little cross referencing to strengthen their case. Heck there are even people attempting to sell their services on the forum. I wonder how much of the information are there as subtle advertisements.

Ideally reading up on books may be the best way to get any closer to the "truths". Unfortunately good books on leather are hard to come by where I am.

I don't claim to have read through the forum thoroughly (i believe you are talking about leatherchemists.org?), since most of the information there have little relevance to me. However, i don't get a convincing case for issues like what is the best and safest way to clean leather, what kind of conditioners to use for leather etc. Ive browsed through some issues about tanning methods too and while I don't understand most of it, I can see that unresolved controversies like the type of water to use etc etc exists too.

But then again thats probably also due to the limitations of an internet forum. You will rarely find a properly set up case on a free internet forum. Most of the time you just get individuals throwing their opinions into the fray with little cross referencing to strengthen their case. Heck there are even people attempting to sell their services on the forum. I wonder how much of the information are there as subtle advertisements.

Ideally reading up on books may be the best way to get any closer to the "truths". Unfortunately good books on leather are hard to come by where I am.

Ahh... I like using white saddle soap to clean. 100% pure neatsfoot or mink oil to condition.

Yea but i guess that's the bane and boon about forums, you get a lot of insights but many contradictory statements. At the end of the day, you still gotta try it out first hand.. At least with the help of the forum, you can make calculated risks.?

Don't you mean where WE come from.? ;)

Ahh... I like using white saddle soap to clean. 100% pure neatsfoot or mink oil to condition.

Yea but i guess that's the bane and boon about forums, you get a lot of insights but many contradictory statements. At the end of the day, you still gotta try it out first hand.. At least with the help of the forum, you can make calculated risks.?

Don't you mean where WE come from.? ;)

Nah I don't live in the US. Im from Singapore and leather related books and information are nearly non existent.

I really want to start making some wallets! but... tandy has such a huge selection (from a noob's viewpoint probably) i just don't know where to start. What leather (im not looking for the best or the cheapest)? tools? lace??? PLEASE HELP! I want to start as soon as possible!

Let's see. You'll need:

- a awl for stabbing some holes

- a tool to measure the holes

- needles with a blunt point

- some thread

- some leather, don't matter what kind.

Or get a starter kit, and it'll do some of the thinking for you. I started with a kit, but I was supervised under a leather master.

Let's see. You'll need:

- a awl for stabbing some holes

- a tool to measure the holes

- needles with a blunt point

- some thread

- some leather, don't matter what kind.

Or get a starter kit, and it'll do some of the thinking for you. I started with a kit, but I was supervised under a leather master.

Thank you! A tool to measure holes? like a ruler?

Think you need an upgrade. Should enjoy cutting, with Xacto's, much of the time it's really more of a chore. I guess it doesn't make sense to use a big Osborne leather knife. Perhaps this?:

11.138.36.jpg

http://www.japanwoodworker.com/product.asp?s=JapanWoodworker&pf_id=11%2E138%2E36&dept_id=13230

523576_00_250.jpg

I've been using an NT Cutter for awhile and I've been eying that Japanese knife and a round head knife.

Anyone care to shed some light one the pros and cons of both tools.?

I honestly enjoy using an exacto, it's never done me wrong. I've tried the japanese style knives, my hands just seem way too big.

Well, if you do have a japanese style knife lying around the house, i wouldn't mind taking it off your hands..? ;P

Oh! Didn't realize that! Nice to see more people doing leathercraft in SG!

Do you have a hwz account?

Been using the NT cutter too! Pretty sharp, just that it needs a lot of stropping and the blade can't take much of that.

Haha, i've been leathercrafting for a short while, but on and off. Cause im studying.

I do have a HWZ account but i don't go in often. I get kinda bored reading the stuff there.

Haha.! I just snap the blade whenever it feels dull. Too lazy to strop. But yea, it is pretty dam sharp. And the 45 degree blades can make some pretty tight curves.

Is that knife the repeater posted for cutting out patterns in the same vein as the exacto blades? It looks to me like a paring knife, I can’t imagine using a knife like that without a skew to cut out a pattern? I used swann & morton scalpels for quite a while but found that the blade flexed too much for me. I now use a piece of o1 tool steel with a 60 degree skew. I find I get a nice slicing action with it like that.

Btw Happy hooligan – that sewing machine looks a beast.

Is that knife the repeater posted for cutting out patterns in the same vein as the exacto blades? It looks to me like a paring knife, I can’t imagine using a knife like that without a skew to cut out a pattern? I used swann & morton scalpels for quite a while but found that the blade flexed too much for me. I now use a piece of o1 tool steel with a 60 degree skew. I find I get a nice slicing action with it like that.

Btw Happy hooligan – that sewing machine looks a beast.

Yea, with a little practice, pretty complex organic shapes can be achieved. It's kind of like the Japanese's take on the round head knife.

Interesting. Do they normally have a square cutting edge like that? I would expect a camber on the cutting edge for a blade that wide. Ive never seen them before though, yet alone being used… think I might have a little google search later tonight..

That’s for the info itsjustnc - btw nice work on that pouch/case a page back