Leathercrafting Creations: PYC

OptimaDies

Alright, thanks! Anyone here have a suggestions as to what machine to get to be able to go through leather that thick? Need a machine to make bags...

I have an old JUKI LU-563 which is killer. You need a walking foot to sew leather properly and smoothly. You can find old LU-563s on craigslist pretty often, in varying condition, but Consew, singer, brother, pfaff, etc all make industrial walking foot machines that would sew leather. Craigslist is your best bet probably.

I've found most of my machines through craigslist, either for direct sale or an ad for an estate sale.

Keep checking it as it changes hourly and sometimes you can find a great deal on one.

Alright, thanks! Anyone here have a suggestions as to what machine to get to be able to go through leather that thick? Need a machine to make bags...

You can always handsew your bags too.

I do. It sucks.

by the way, Eric. Rob and the girls were telling me about how you had to pose on the bed to take the pictures with the wristbands. Lol.

Also, purse

9NIac.jpg

VpnA1.jpg

vtjHI.jpg

Horsehide, non functional buckle, solid brass everything. Handsewn.

Corter, lovely stuff....

does the fabric peak out between the seam of the leather?

thanks! you can see the fabric layer just like you can see the the leather layers if thats what you mean- but it doesn't extend past and its not a raw edge.

Didn't accomplish much the past week

Made this for a fella who wanted a staff card lanyard where the strap can be opened. Kind of a prototype design, thought out from scratch.

staffcardlanyard.jpg

staffcardlanyardback.jpg

staffcardlanyardopen2.jpg

Basically you thread the free end of the strap through the slot on the flap, loop that end around the concho, and button up the flap to secure.

Might be a little confusing, more explanation pics on my blog.

Then there is this coin pouch finished just a couple of days ago.

halfmoonpouch1.jpg

halfmoonpouchback.jpg

halfmoonpouch2.jpg

@niix, if you have a Tandy shop locally, that's the best bet for sure. They all have scrap bins to dig through for practice materials. They also sell remnant packs online, but I'm not sure what to expect from those.

A+ advice, I found that there is one only a few blocks from me. This is going to make things so much easier.

rep+

thanks dude! Most of my fabrics and leather I get locally, and grain bags and stuff are flea market/ebay bulk finds. The indigo fabric was an internet find, I don't usually ebay or etsy but this lady had so many beautiful fabrics I had to get a couple. It was 10 times more beautiful when I got it in, really going to be hard to use it all up and not have it waiting for a project!

Yeah a stitching groover or a creaser will help a lot in your sewing. Not really necessary but an edge beveler will help make your edges nicer too.

Suede inlay purse for a friend that I finished yesterday. Took a good 4 days worth of work

purse.jpg

Kind of have a western look to it doesn't it?

edges4.jpg

interiors.jpg

edges3.jpg

Made a quick trip to Tandy today to pick up some leather from the scrap bin for my first attempt at hand stitching. I decided to make a card holder. All in all it was very fun, but there's so much to learn and practice. I used a diamond awl 4 prong tool. I'm not sure I like how the holes turned out, but I'm guessing it's due to my lack of experience. I am open to any tips and techniques that you guys use.

5643704411_24ba0a027c.jpg

5643704723_c714fb8953.jpg

We all draw on the forum from our "leather heros" ..... but there is a difference. This is a no thought knock off!!!!... makr is a ARTIST in my opinion. His designs are completely original. And this kind of stuff makes me so mad!!!! Be original for christs sake!!!! At my job I deal with bung holes like this on a daily basis! "Can you copy this at put my logo on it?" ....every damn day!!!! Sorry had to vent.....

We all draw on the forum from our "leather heros" ..... but there is a difference. This is a no thought knock off!!!!... makr is a ARTIST in my opinion. His designs are completely original. And this kind of stuff makes me so mad!!!! Be original for christs sake!!!! At my job I deal with bung holes like this on a daily basis! "Can you copy this at put my logo on it?" ....every damn day!!!! Sorry had to vent.....

I was never a fan of makr's wallet designs (functionality was a question), but I have to agree that such a knock off is unacceptable. If you are making 1 or 2 for fun or practice thats fine, but its just wrong to copy the entire catalog 1 to 1 and make a buisness out of it.

The funny thing is how he says

This wallet is built on the ideas and pattern from our iPad case, but have a flap closure and a receiving strap instead

Apparently, Makr has known about it for a while. On top of the copied designs, it's actually all made in China and drop shipped.