Leathercrafting Creations: PYC

OptimaDies

I know, it was the only coin I have right now.

Re: stitching, I use a wheel and a round awl. I love the diamond awl stuff, but I prefer to keep my stitching a bit more rustic, less western. So I use the wheel marks as a rough guide, use my knees as a stitching pony- it's not an exact thing for me, but I like it that way

5737563548_5aa042fdbf_z.jpg

5737571854_d0350877d0_z.jpg

5737016839_1496da4f78_z.jpg

First time working with cordovan- it's kinda weird. The leather itself is unreal, it's about 3.5oz, firm~ish, but flimsy at the same time- it shows every little bump and tension difference in stitching and construction. Still, I'm happy with the wallet for sure. It's lined with antique fabric, c. 1855-62

5737563548_5aa042fdbf_z.jpg

5737571854_d0350877d0_z.jpg

5737016839_1496da4f78_z.jpg

First time working with cordovan- it's kinda weird. The leather itself is unreal, it's about 3.5oz, firm~ish, but flimsy at the same time- it shows every little bump and tension difference in stitching and construction. Still, I'm happy with the wallet for sure. It's lined with antique fabric, c. 1855-62

Hahaha!!!! your a wild man!!!!!! were you scared to make tha first cut into the shell???? i cut one of mine last night, and i was sweating and my hands were shaking like a tweaker!!!!!! :)haha

would rep you but cant!

haha, don't worry about it! remember we were talking- it's just leather :)

In all honesty, I got that shell in this morning, and just kinda chopped it up and went to work. It was a little nerve wracking, but I figured I'd just not care about making a finished product with the first one, just to feel it out. Once I got over that, it was business as usual, and out came a nicely finished product! Pretty excited, though from here on out the stitching will be way slower- the shine and softness of the cordovan shows every little tension difference, really important to get it perfect.

I was honestly more nervous to use that fabric, and I've been sitting on it a while- 160 years old!

Those are awesome. Chromexcel inside and out?

I just made this tonight, just for fun:

5738877810_cf0e63dd62.jpg

thanks southfive and hollows!!!

dude!!!! that ring is fuckin bad ass!!! did you put a little x stitch on the back like a belt loop?

the wallets are not chromexcel... chromexcel due to it crazy amount or oil and tallow content, it not a good leather to work with for wallet interiors.

its new leather i am trying out, it wicket and craig "english" bridle. which is pretty much their vegtan. they aniline dye it, then stuff it with wax, then hit it with a old school glazing jack, to compress the fibers for a natural sheen.....atleast thats what the good people at W&C told me after i nerded out on the phone with them last week. hahaha

i really like the leather, its firm like veg, but does not get flimsy after you bend it. i am thinking i might ditch vegtan all together for this stuff. unless i am in the rare mood to do tooling :)

The ring is skived down on both sides so that it joins (relatively) seamlessly. I made it because I felt like seeing if it would work, and it did.

That's interesting that those wallets are made from bridle, I had never considered getting bridle split down to wallet weight. Did they think you were a total weirdo for requesting it?

they did not think it was weird at all, the sales guy (cant remember his name, but he is the 2nd guy on the automated phone guide) who was more then helpful. so i got a black 3-4oz and 5-6oz hide. my wallets look thinner do to the design and cause i use a skiving machine around the edges and also thin the "tongue" slots on the card holders. giving the look of being thin, but really being the same thickness as most of you guys making handmade wallets. ......anyways , i am calling tomorrow to order some natural and another color.

what are you making with that chromexcel hollows???? is it not the best smelling leather ever???

Nice looking abbot southfive. Interesting gas cap idea. I have a yellow 75 rabbit. Best cars ever IMO. Ive owned 7 of them through the years.

I have a few questions for you fellas. I've been making some leather goods now for a few months. I started after some inspiration from Zissou. He referred me to this great forum. I've just recently started posting here and I don't have pics of my stuff yet, as all I have is my crappy iPhone 3GS camera. Mainly I sell to bikers in my area. I've set up a few times at a local bike cruise in that takes place every other week. I'm setting up at a big hot rod show next weekend.

My questions are regarding hardware. Ive had trouble finding nice belt buckles, wholesale or retail. I'd rather buy in bulk but if the buckle is nice enough I'll buy a few at retail and jack the belts price up more. Ive found roller buckles but where are all the heavy duty garrison buckles and the double prong garrison buckles. I'm in love with the forked tongue buckle Zissou has used.

Also the leather braids have been a hit with the bikers that have bought the ones I made up. Where can I get the little brass hooks that I've seen a few of you using. I first seen them on Japanese goods but now I see somebody found where to get them.

Also I do understand if you guys don't want to let tour secrets be known. So if not then thanks anyways. I'll keep on searching.

I will post up some work as soon as I get some proper camera action going on.

Thanks

Justin

Okay, it's my first try at making a wallet. Stitching is all over the place, but the burnishing turned out okay for a first try. It's pretty thick so I think I need thinner leather...

DSC09966.jpg

DSC09965.jpgDSC09968.jpg