Leathercrafting Creations: PYC

OptimaDies

yea I paid $75 for my 15-91 from an actual sewing machine shop- new motor, all rewired, cabinet, all that. He also threw in 5 packs of needles and a heaping handful of metal and plastic bobbins.

A tip on the sewing machines- never ever ever ever eeeeevvveeerrrr buy a machine on eBay, unless it's super super rare or so cheap you couldn't even buy lunch with the money. The prices are so insanely inflated you could buy 3-4 of the same machine in the normal used marketplace. Craigslist is great for old machines, but so are thrift stores, antique wholesale shops, flea markets and swap meets. repairs aren't expensive, new motors are like $15, and most parts are still made and easy to find for older machines with metal cams. don't buy the eBay youtube videos either, machines like the 15-91 are not made to sew leather. heavy canvas? yes. and a bit of leather here and there? absolutely. but you can't sew wallets full time on them.

weird timing, just got word my new industrial machine will be ready in a week or two! It's a Singer 281-3 head and original wooden table top on a brand new base with a brand new motor. The original machine was a high speed machine, the new hybrid franken-motor will slow it down for a ton of control. It's a bare bones machine- doesn't even have reverse- but it's self oiling and exactly what I wanted. You can easily do 8oz or so of leather, but I'll be using it for heavy canvases and all that. Very excited now!

I have MIJ, 20-U that was owned by the maker of Handlebra.

Speed rules, keeps your stitching a lot straighter. The window on the new motor on mine for speed control is so narrow! Don't care, I like sewing barefoot anyhow.

Most industrial machines don't have reverse or the sewers don't use it, they just knee-lift and backstitch in forward and then go over the stitches again.

yes, there machines made just for leather. That white is way over priced, I wouldn't go over $50 on that. it's a home sewing machine. You would want a walking foot type machine which would be made for leather or heavy cloth like canvas.

Check you local craigslist... their are a ton of machines on in your area...

yeah, the machine i was looking at was at a local salvage yard for $75. i just posted that picture as an example cause it looks very similar to the machine i found here in boulder.

thanks for all the replies guys. i've only just scratched the surface when it comes to sewing machines, or even leather work in general. still working on my hand stitching so i'll probably only be looking for a machine casually for now.

you guys are the best, seriously this thread has been such a help for the starting leather crafter. keep up the good work.

I have MIJ, 20-U that was owned by the maker of Handlebra.

Speed rules, keeps your stitching a lot straighter. The window on the new motor on mine for speed control is so narrow! Don't care, I like sewing barefoot anyhow.

Most industrial machines don't have reverse or the sewers don't use it, they just knee-lift and backstitch in forward and then go over the stitches again.

awesome! good to know- I've still got lots to learn when it comes to sewing and constructing bags, but thats what I've read too- most just knee lift and go over again. the new motor will just have a lot more range in speed than the original, i really wanted that to learn and be able to speed up as I gain more control

As far as sewing machines go, yes all the vintage ones are very cool. I own a few.....but you can't get a consistant stitch on thicker stuff.

I would make sure your machine has a walking foot. Juki or consews are great. Also when sewing veg tan I would not go smaller then 138 sized thread ( that's the size on redmoon wallets). Most walking foot machines take this size and lower.....its when you start to get into the thicker strings(207 and up) the walking foot sewing machines get more expensive it seems.

I’m finally getting round to actually contributing a little bit. It’s a minimalist bi-fold wallet based off that one I posted quite a while back just with one or two changes. It’s made from veg tanned semi-aniline shoulder pared down and sewn at 9spi. I appreciate it’s not the usual style of stuff on this forum, but hey, leathers leather right? I also took quite a few photos whilst I made it that are complied as a gallery here in my journal. (if the link falls foul of the rules please don’t hesitate to remove it)

9-1.jpg

9-2.jpg

9-3.jpg

Anyways, have fun all, ciao

Btw, corter, great effort man!

The funny thing about the horse butts is that they are just the left over from the front quater tannage and the stripping of the cordovan. There are pretty much just the scrap left over. That is why when you order there is no from siegel or other places. The quality is all over the place. Some are perfect other are marred and scratched and the thickness is all over the map. Its great leather for 12 bucks a but though. I use it for braclets and straps all the time. I am working on a chromexcel horsehide brown wallet as we speak. I will post pics soon. The chromexel horse is pretty amazing stuff.

The funny thing about the horse butts is that they are just the left over from the front quater tannage and the stripping of the cordovan. There are pretty much just the scrap left over. That is why when you order there is no from siegel or other places. The quality is all over the place. Some are perfect other are marred and scratched and the thickness is all over the map. Its great leather for 12 bucks a but though. I use it for braclets and straps all the time. I am working on a chromexcel horsehide brown wallet as we speak. I will post pics soon. The chromexel horse is pretty amazing stuff.

Yup, too bad it seems that you can only get veg tanned horsehide from these horse butt strips. The other parts of the horse hide are usually tanned for other purposes. I would say for 12 bucks its a decent price, but probably not excellent, considering that the useful portion of the butt strip is not exactly a lot. Nice leather if you don't mind or even appreciate the uneven textures.

You are dang lucky to get your hands on chromexcel. Been eyeing that for some time. Can their edges be burnished like veg tanned? Pretty interested to find out how its like to work with mixed tannage leather.

vtimM.jpg

r9Irh.jpg

First long wallet since I started leathercrafting. I love how it came out, but I already see a lot of room for improvement on the inside at least. I'm happy with the exterior

horsehide/cowhide.

That bag is so nice!

Just thought of this the other day when I was at my shop: I have a custom concrete company next door, so they make the fine-finish cast goods, architectural details, countertops and sinks, and polished flooring, and they have a lot of stuff that ends up breaking in transport and cutoffs, perfect for granite substitution.

Just a thought if anyone needed a granite block and could find one of these nearby; a very useable substitute could be had for freeeeee.

found some indigo dyed fabric from 1870, and had to take some time to use it. I've been wanting to try lining a wallet with fabric forever, it's not perfect (nor are the pictures, sorry) but it's a start for sure. The shell is hand dyed, interior is natural, all 4oz leather

5617598262_0136b3fde9_z.jpg

5617599118_af3a771302_z.jpg

5617598626_bdbbbe2751_z.jpg