Leathercrafting Creations: PYC

OptimaDies

Looks awesome guys! Y'all are on some similar lighting/hardwood steeze, thought Nick had posted twice until I looked at the username haha Full Navy Cordovan 6805559337_e95288781d_z.jpg

care to disclose wat thread u use for this wallet? e combo is cool...

I made four bricks of Joey's wax, and I like the results! It is definitely harder than straight beeswax, but it goes on cleaner and buffs to a nice shine. I couldn't take any photos because I had to ship the item out this morning, but I will try to post some soon.

I've made some bee's/parrafin cube and I find that only the ones I added Dr. Bronners to are soft enough to catch the leather. I wonder if maybe some cream like Udderly Smooth might mix in well?

Moved houses this week so my work flow has been a mess. I finished this piece for the same guy that bought this one in natural.

6810873315_44b61935ca_z.jpg

jaw - great tip, thanks! What do you use for your maker's stamp for the press?

My stamp is high density plastic, and its a 1.5" diameter tube. So I can just put it under the press shaft, and have a piece of 1" thick stainless underneath. If you had one that had a narrow top (like a typical leather stamp) you could drill a hole in the shaft to fit the stamp.

I want to share something related to leather crafting...

just got back from visiting one of Brass Artisan in Yogyakarta, Center of Java, Indonesia.

This is not a big factory where everything goes mass produce with automated machinery system, instead it is a really small scale of factory where almost every step of the process is done by hand.

brass1.jpg

brass3.jpg

Starting from the brass plate cutting, melting, moulding, until the finishing process to create smooth edged of the hardware.

brass4.jpg

brass5.jpg

This below photo, you can see in the center of the photo, it's the brass plate that I mentioned earlier.

brass6.jpg

We are very happy to be able to work this these artisans, promoting the pride and maintaining the traditional way of brass crafting in Indonesia.

Inspired with one of the Garrison buckles, we asked them out to make a sample and here is the result.

brass7.jpg

DSC_0053.jpg

We are satisfied with the output, the toughness, hand feel, and also the smooth finishing by our local artisan.

That is very impressive, lucaas! I wish I could find someone like that here in the states. I know someone who will forge buckles for me, but I'd essentially have to send them the buckle to copy. How reasonable are their prices for smaller batches?

Here's my newest. Following the coin pouch I wanted to use that concept to make a phone pouch for my folded collection. Problem with a button phone pouch has always been keeping the metal of the snap back away from the phone. I used a tab and slit to both secure all sides of the pouch while keeping the metal a very comfortable 2 layers of leather away from the phone. Again, one pice body, only held together by one snap- no stitching, glue, or anything else.

6825875991_16d440d110_z.jpg

6825870853_4682f0e14c_z.jpg

6825873647_c77d1934a7_z.jpg

Edited by corter

zissou

For this particular buckle that I made, it costs around $2,5 / piece. Price depends on how complex the construction is.

jaw

LOL. Glad that it was a wrong repped. Yes, I'm very excited as well when I visited that place.

yea, that's crazy. I have a solid coper center bar that was made by a bicycle builder- he quoted me $80 a piece on a 100 piece order. When you see expensive veg tan belts it's usually 80% buckle cost- if they can produce quantity I'd be interested as well, looking for solid copper!

Hey guys, I'm new to this. Started last month. I ordered stuff from Corter, Hollows, and Zissou for a while now and was so interested in the craft I made a sufu account and read this entire thread. Lots of creativity and help!

Here's three journals cover I've made. I really need to learn how to measure/cut better as well as burnish.

6835134899_0c62bd842a_z.jpg

Three tries and I still keep making them too small to fit flushly :sad:

6835134721_8939bec614_z.jpg

From newest to oldest.

6835134521_24f543c6e9_z.jpg

My burnishing got a bit better since I've started. Even though I've made new ones, I find myself using my first one more. I think its because it's my first one and it's development character from the dye of my jeans. I used the cheap "manager special" leather from tandy's. Been mainly making keyhooks for friends but I really wanna make a midsize wallet in the future.

Edited by hai-san

Haven't posted anything in a while because I've been dealing with the terrible reality of moving my workshop. But, I'm in and (more or less) set up. Still a loooooot of organizing and cleaning to do, but it's about twice the size as my previous space, so I am thrilled! Its in a warehouse built sometime between 1900-1920 and its possibly one of the oldest buildings in the county. Used to be a woodworking shop for a construction company who built all the original buildings in town.

9130227382ba8369dcca48cec4d570a9_310204_lrg.jpg

Still unpacking tools and stuff: 2c6a04bdf6ea9eef642f8772ab751f4c_333055_lrg.jpgbuilt these two big wood work tables last night:b3a8c7a780dd1e8ce1ce40f9a0d8bf9c_337130_lrg.jpg03a9faebf96e57fdcf6d2a662a554597_322306_lrg.jpgsstuff ready to stitch:6c465f643433cdd8c6e9899e8fb4755a_291501_lrg.jpg

Im way excited/overwhelmed, I think it will be way more productive once I get a place for everything.