Leathercrafting Creations: PYC

OptimaDies

As I'm totally bad at taking advice, I tried making a bag anyway. It is nowhere near the actual leatherworker's products, but as a first project larger than a belt/cell phone pouch, I'm happy:

koffert6.jpg

Edited by Cain

Zissou. This color is so sick! I have limited experience playing with dye. What do you guys use to seal the leather so it doesn't bleed? Not a fan of the shiny plastic look of some sealers.

Those of you who are getting a dark burnished edge- are you doing it manually, or with a Dremel?

I've been mixing up a nice olive color lately...

89778b1e.jpg

Thanks for the help guys! So no issues with bleeding onto clothes with leather balm? I actually have a bottle thats been sitting at home but have been told a couple times that it's not a "sealer" and can still bleed. Any tips on applying it?

I like fiebings leather balm with atom wax.

If gives a nice natural polishible shine.

I seal even my horween finished leathers with the stuff.

I use feibings bag note. Its matte so no plastic look, and seals with no bleeding. Leather balm is not actually a sealer although it does an ok job. It'll still bleed dye, I would go bag kote, then leather balm for a nice waxy shine.

Zissou. This color is so sick! I have limited experience playing with dye. What do you guys use to seal the leather so it doesn't bleed? Not a fan of the shiny plastic look of some sealers.

It's pretty fun mixing custom colors. I always thing the standard Fiebing's colors are too bright, so I like to tone them down with black, cordovan, or chocolate, depending on the base color. Once I figure out a 'recipe', it's easy to duplicate.

I usually finish everything with Obenauf's LP, which buffs to a nice matte after it is absorbed. I slick the inside of belts with gum trag, but I find that doesn't really seal it. I'll give bag kote a try. In my opinion, the inside of belts is really the only thing that needs actual sealing.

In other news, I am seriously considering switching to laser cutting for key chains and card cases. I simply can't keep up with demand, and it would allow me to cut and dye large numbers at a time. The other option is to have a dye made, but then I need to find a suitable press.

My New Year's resolution is to cut production time, since I'm tired of spending every night individually cutting and dyeing each piece. I'm also planning to just offer 2 or 3 different buckles so I can cut a lot of belt blanks at once.

Edited by zissou

Thank you zissou. Are you using Fiebings oil dyes? Sounds exciting with the laser cutting and dies. Keep us up to date. Interested in the process of getting that done!

It's pretty fun mixing custom colors. I always thing the standard Fiebing's colors are too bright, so I like to tone them down with black, cordovan, or chocolate, depending on the base color. Once I figure out a 'recipe', it's easy to duplicate.

I usually finish everything with Obenauf's LP, which buffs to a nice matte after it is absorbed. I slick the inside of belts with gum trag, but I find that doesn't really seal it. I'll give bag kote a try. In my opinion, the inside of belts is really the only thing that needs actual sealing.

In other news, I am seriously considering switching to laser cutting for key chains and card cases. I simply can't keep up with demand, and it would allow me to cut and dye large numbers at a time. The other option is to have a dye made, but then I need to find a suitable press.

My New Year's resolution is to cut production time, since I'm tired of spending every night individually cutting and dyeing each piece. I'm also planning to just offer 2 or 3 different buckles so I can cut a lot of belt blanks at once.

I'm using Fiebing's spirit dyes. The oil dyes don't come in too many colors. I sometimes use their black oil dye, but talk about something that bleeds all over the place!

Logistically, laser cutting would be easiest. I have a friend who is interested in helping me transfer my paper patterns to digital files, and there is a shop in town that does laser cutting and engraving. I spoke to them briefly, and they said it should be a piece of cake. The only potential issue is the edges looking a little browned, but maybe that will just work nicely into burnished edges? :) I'll keep you all posted.

Firstly, use spirit base dyes.! Those stuff doesn't rub off as easily. Secondly, try making a leather balm out of beewaxs and neatsfoot oil, it isn't that tough and it works really well.! You get a nice natural matt finish that can be buffed to a satin shine.

Just a simple 1 : 1 Ratio could do the trick.!

This couldn't have come at a more perfect timing. I've just tried out using a laser cutting machine for high scale production. Dude, you'd be better off with an arbor press and die cutters.

I've been making leather key chains for a school fund raising, and I have access to a laser cut machine. So i'd thought i'd try it out, and well.... The results aren't as desirable as expected.?

IMG_7369.JPG

IMG_7378.JPG

IMG_7371.JPG

You tend to get singed surfaces from the lasers (I've actually tried calibrating the power and speed many times and the end result is still the same.)

It's really annoying trying to get the leather to lay perfectly flat, because the laser cutting machine needs a flat surface for consistant results. (You can try sticking it on a piece of acrylic but its just plain troublesome.)

Though the edges looks nice and black (Kinda resembles dyed edges) It is actually covered in soot that will rub off and stain, especially for natural veg tans.

The result is inconsistent, so you can have one perfect batch with minimal burn marks, but another batch covered in burn marks. Curiously enough, its the same leather from the same cow with the same EPS file with the same exact settings. But i guess that's just the way it is.

You would get more cleaner and consistent pieces with a die cutter. And if i'm not mistaken, at a fraction of the price too. It may be troublesome making a new die for every new design, but i would think that its more worth the money spent. The only cool benefit fo a laser cut machine would be the engraving you could do.

IMG_4568.JPG

Edited by ItsJustNC

Ah, thanks for your advice, NC! I imagine that it's much easier to cut shapes like that with a laser, but you've confirmed my suspicions about the edges. I am guessing that it might not matter much if the pieces were going to be dyed and have the edges burnished, but half the stuff I make is natural. I'll go back to planning on ordering dyes... I've heard it's fairly easy to make a press with a car jack? I see a 6-ton shop press on Harbor freight for $65 :)

Hey zissou....you should look into getting metal water jet stencils made. Its pretty cheap. I use them daily.

Pm me. I got a connection.

Hmm, so they are metal stencils, but you still cut everything by hand? A metal stencil would certainly help for some things...

Edited by zissou

Ah, thanks for your advice, NC! I imagine that it's much easier to cut shapes like that with a laser, but you've confirmed my suspicions about the edges. I am guessing that it might not matter much if the pieces were going to be dyed and have the edges burnished, but half the stuff I make is natural. I'll go back to planning on ordering dyes... I've heard it's fairly easy to make a press with a car jack? I see a 6-ton shop press on Harbor freight for $65 :)

Hmm, so they are metal stencils, but you still cut everything by hand? A metal stencil would certainly help for some things...

Still cut by hand....it make curves and consistency a breeze.

Corter, is that segdwick or Clayton?

I just order some Clayton, going to take a stab at making belts....never made one before.

Hi Sufu leather crew. I've been lurking on the site for years, and have been leatherworking for a bit, and this thread inspired me to join and post. I've enjoyed reading it from start to finish, you all make some amazing stuff. In the spirit of contributing to such an awesome thread, here are some cardholders/slim wallets I made for Christmas presents.

card_holders.jpg

No problem dude.! Laser cutting is accurate and versatile but cost effectiveness wise, you'd be better of with a die cutter. Cause laser cut machines are just high maintenance. Not to mention, the fact that you're gonna do high volume cutting, the mirror inside might overheat and crack. Replacing it will be a bitch.

And i guess, thats why boots making companies like redwings still stick to using clicker press and die cutters.

Yea, I've heard people using shop presses and arbor presses to die cut. But i would believe that the safest bet would be a decent clicker press.

Clicker presses are wicked expensive but it shouldn't be to hard to find someone in your area with one they would rent by the hour/job. Dies are actually pretty cheap too, all things considered.

I'm getting a belt hide soon, step #2 will be making a combo stencil for the English point, holespacing, oblong punch and screw holes etc.

Clicker presses are wicked expensive but it shouldn't be to hard to find someone in your area with one they would rent by the hour/job. Dies are actually pretty cheap too, all things considered.

I'm getting a belt hide soon, step #2 will be making a combo stencil for the English point, holespacing, oblong punch and screw holes etc.

why wouldn't you just make a stencil yourself out of leather and use a standard hole punch-that'd be way cheaper for your first hide, no?