Leathercrafting Creations: PYC

OptimaDies

thanks nic! saw your interview too, welcome to the world of doing press. quite interesting to say the least, I wanted them to show more of your actual work. However, your space looks really cool!

5763452561_12a04f5331_z.jpg

natural thread, natural burnished edges, hand dyed. not sure what the shadow is on the bottom, all edges are smooth and burnished

Ha, it was fun to do. I had never been interviewed before.

I'm totally in love with my workspace, I did a few years of bedroom working like you, and this was a huge improvement. I really do feel like having a nicer space to work in has improved my work itself, not just my mood and composure while doing it.

I enjoyed making the bench and shelves too, everything is finally exactly where I want it to be (on a clean day).

cool interview hollows, its awesome to see a local guy succeed at this.

working with leather has been the only think that ive been willing to practice consistently, and you guys are a huge inspiration.

i can definitely vouch for the portland ave tandy guys being more than helpful. i told the guy i broke a (tandy) needle and i could tell he honestly felt bad and wanted me to have the right tools, even though it was my fault i bought the wrong needles.

i was inspired by this thread and made the long, skinny, woven belt i couldnt find in stores for probably 1/10th what it would have cost if i could have found it.

i bought strands of leather from tokyo hands along with some hardware, but they didnt have any belt tips. anyone know where i can find a metal tip such as this:

thumb-belt-plain-with-metal-tip-100.jpg

or is there a nice way to finish a 4 string braid? i stiched it up for the time being but it looks ghetto...

i was inspired by this thread and made the long, skinny, woven belt i couldnt find in stores for probably 1/10th what it would have cost if i could have found it.

i bought strands of leather from tokyo hands along with some hardware, but they didnt have any belt tips. anyone know where i can find a metal tip such as this:

thumb-belt-plain-with-metal-tip-100.jpg

or is there a nice way to finish a 4 string braid? i stiched it up for the time being but it looks ghetto...

If its a 4 strand.. I've only ever seen it sewn shut. If stitched nicely, it could look quite cool. Or you could use a magic/mystery/trick braid.?

goddamn this thing planted a bug in my head. I'm going to buy a pattern book for denim jackets and make a cropped leather jacket over the next couple of weeks.

why did you do this to me.

edit: I probably won't be buying another TOJ now because of you

There seems to be a lot of good patterns for standard denim jackets. A little modifcation and removing some seams from them should make it easy to do. If I get them, I'll PM you about it

I'm looking for a unique, handcrafted dopp kit (travel kit for toiletries). I'm open to leather or canvas & leather construction. I keep going back to Filson as I own several Filson bags but figured I'd ask you leather craftsmen.

I travel almost weekly for business and have been using a nylon & plastic zipper bag-like item by Eagle Creek. It works fine but has little in the way of character. My only requirement is that it needs to have a manner in which to hang it by a length of cord. Not a hook, just a D-ring or something along those lines so I can string a length of paracord through it and loop it over something after I unpack my essentials.

I'd like to stick with the age old dopp kit design...just something handcrafted or unique and made of nice materials.

Filson dopp kit for reference:

70218-main-341.jpg

this is a new wallet i have made for myself ...and i need a way to attach a rein/chain so if someone got an idea i'd like to know.

DSCN2065.jpg

looks good!

anyone willing to make one or two of these with a leather chain too? pm me for your price and the work you've done :)

Probably! I'm actually just due south in Hanover. Driving to chelmsford sure is fun, haha.

We should meet up there some time.

also, Wilderness Workshop might pick up some bags, how are they to deal with?

Yea, totally. Jason's a really good dude, the owner's really chill, and the shop is super nice. I love Chelmsford, living in the city it's a nice treat to get out to Tandy, Wal-Mart, D'angelo's, cheap gas AND cheap groceries all in one day- it's like a mini working vacation haha. Small tip on your sale thread- take your paypal address down. People will absolutely 100% send you random payments, and I'm assuming you're not going to want to wake up to a 20 bag que paid in full!

A stack of bifolds with the lining glued, ready to be stitched. Japanese fabrics in traditional prints.

5783339331_0494c686bc_z.jpg

Yea, totally. Jason's a really good dude, the owner's really chill, and the shop is super nice. I love Chelmsford, living in the city it's a nice treat to get out to Tandy, Wal-Mart, D'angelo's, cheap gas AND cheap groceries all in one day- it's like a mini working vacation haha. Small tip on your sale thread- take your paypal address down. People will absolutely 100% send you random payments, and I'm assuming you're not going to want to wake up to a 20 bag que paid in full!

A stack of bifolds with the lining glued, ready to be stitched. Japanese fabrics in traditional prints.

5783339331_0494c686bc_z.jpg