Leathercrafting Creations: PYC

OptimaDies

some stuff i've got lying around, semi evo on two of them

tumblr_lmx1rjwmjf1qlzooq

the indy looking bag on the top right shows how nice washed veg tan evos. pretty even darkening and gorgeous grain. That and it's buttery soft but still feels like it will last forever.

I found a shell (cordovan, of course) at my local leather shop. Apparantly the owner kept a stash in the back for a long time. When I came in, he had just sold some and now he only has one left. It wasn't first quality, I guess. But I was still tempted to buy it.

it was around $75-80 - how is that price?

I found a shell (cordovan, of course) at my local leather shop. Apparantly the owner kept a stash in the back for a long time. When I came in, he had just sold some and now he only has one left. It wasn't first quality, I guess. But I was still tempted to buy it.

it was around $75-80 - how is that price?

decent- from horween retail I've heard they're over $300 per, and closeout anywhere they're $125-$150. It's all up to you- depending on size, figure out what you can make out of it. is that worth $75-$80 to you? if it is, go for it.

I've been making a few card cases with little cash pockets on the back lately.

P9y7C.jpg

Hey guys, here's a belt I made today. Only my second project with stitching. Kind of unhappy with the stitch holes. Large and doesn't look very clean . What do you guys use to punch stitching holes? I'm using the Craftool Diamond Hole Punch 4 Prongs 3/32" bought from Tandy. Suggestions?

5854152942_84f5b36e4f.jpg

I have a question regarding leather awls.

Currently I'm hand punching each hole and then sewing it through. As far as I can tell with an awl, you still punch each hole, but you use the awl to create a lock stitch. Is this correct? For some reason I'm under the impression that you can also just mark the holes and then push the awl through forgoing the need to pre punch the holes.

If the latter is true, would you push the awl through all pieces of leather you are attempting to sew? I think I remember reading somewhere that the awl has a different shape as you move up the blade... this is surely true, and so I'm confused!

Lastly, is the speedy stitcher just a "brand name" awl? Will it get the job done for me? As a reference I'm using 4-5 oz leather.

I would not use one of those speedy stitchers. A saddle stitch will be stronger than a lock stitch, so I recommend using an awl to make the holes, and stitching it together with a harness needle on each end of the thread.

Yea. Personally, for larger projects I use the awl and a punch. The awl takes longer, and since I am mostly making massive bags with a lot of stitching, I carefully use a punch where I can.

Anyways, I'm going to be ordering some dublin leather from horween and sew up a post bag with piping along all of the seams. It's going to be awesome.

I have been using hole punches from the Japanes brand Kyoshin Elle - the ones from Tandy are absolute s**t compared to them. Especially when I'm making bigger objects, they are very handy or may I say invaluable. But you still need an awl for tons of other stuff, but it speeds up the process.

According to an expert at my local shop, some American brand called "Crafts something something" made the best hole punches ever, but they went out of business or seized production.

Trying my hand at wallet making... Turned out pretty well. I lined it with Cone raw denim. This thing could probably take a bullet. It's pretty thick.

top.jpg

open.jpg

Black Goat sent me a scrap of black leather, made a quick wallet out of it for a friend with other assorted scrap that I tanned and oiled and buffed before stitching together. not perfect craft on this one, made it in a bit of a rush.

5870830893_17c40b5877_z.jpg

5870831093_b4f7907b7c_z.jpg