Leathercrafting Creations: PYC

OptimaDies

makes you think though- how many requests do some of us get for Flathead "repros", etc. We've all done one or two practice wallets I'm sure, but make sure to always put your own spin on things. I think that's super important in such an old craft- there are so many things you can find for inspiration, copying a design isn't needed at all.

Well said, Eric.

When I think of my mids, your mids, flathead and redmoon etc, I think of the scene in so many Samurai movies, where the hero has to choose a blade.

Walking into the master swordmaker's workshop, walls covered in racks full of swords.

From a distance they all just look like swords, but the closer you get, the more you realize that while they're the same, they have a distinct character, feel, and style.

If that metaphor doesn't work for you, try Keirin frame builders. A Nagasawa, Kalavinka, and a 3Rensho are all just lugged steel if you don't have the eye for it.

(See also: artisan jeans, harry potter wands, whites vs viberg, metaphors are fun)

I study in the "creative industry" doing product design and well... These are just a part and parcel of the whole "corporate identity" scene.

I'm currently on an exchange program in the "Counterfeiting Mecca" of the world, China. And everywhere out in the streets. Knock offs after knock offs after knock offs.

You'll see Gucci/Louis Vuitton/Burberry's iconic prints on EVERYTHING. Random shirts. Random pants. Random bags. Even on DRESSES.?

There are designers that makes designs so extremely complex and intricate so that a perfect replica would be increasingly difficult to manufacture. Ie, Red Moon and their Indian Head Concho.

But this doesn't solve the issue i guess. I feel that the only thing that we as "designers"could do is to just make our stuff with so much thought and effort, that people just appreciate it and endorse the authentic products.

The whole matter boils down to the consumers. If all they want is a brand name, buying a really good knock off does the trick. Even though some people will endorse a brand like crazy and boycott fake products.

But if what we do is offer quality products and a good personal service. I'm sure we'd still have a decent percentile of people who appreciates what we do. And it's these people that matters.

I think it's just important to have your own signature. You don't have to create a completely unique style or product- that's really hard to do successfully. But little things, like the awl shape you use or the thread you select, the materials, those are all things you can make your own. Like jeans- how many godforsaken companies put out a slim straight selvedge Cone denim jean right now? they all look the same, and they all fade the same, but things so small as the cut and pattern make them unique.

NC- in todays world, everything is going to get ripped off if it's profitable, in some form or another. I've received many emails from web companies asking me if I'm the one trying to buy the chinese, malaysian, etc. version of my domain. I've also had many people email me telling me people are shopping around pictures of my bags (that I only posted in this thread) for production. It sucks a little, but do I care if they produce a tote bag? not really, it's not going to be the end of me. You have to assume someone's going to copy every single thing you post online, because odds are if it's a good idea or design they will (and this ESPECIALLY goes for small time designers/etsy kids, because they know you don't have the $$ to hire legal help). They know where to look for good ideas. Thus, gone are the days of "woe--is-me-they-took-my-idea"....don't post important or profitable ideas online until you've produced them.

Great job on the watch band, hollows. Those Panerai buckles seem to be the only decent ones I've seen available.

Can anyone recommend a good awl? I'm definitely not at the place where I need a 70 dollar awl, but the one I'm using from tandy just isn't cutting it...

i use my tandy awl all the time, it depends on what thread size you are using. plus make sure it is always sharp. what seems to be the problem?

Lazy!!! Killer wallet! As always! Like the details.
^^^ Damn lazybum, keeps getting better!

Especially love the interior of the wallet.

Thanks for the kind comments!

I strop my awl regularly to keep it sharp. If its really dull try hitting the sharpening stone like southfive mentioned.

One handy tip is to stick the awl into some beeswax in between every few stabs. Helps the awl to glide through the leather much more easily.

ive heard they're total shit out of the box, so you have to sharpen them.

from leatherworker or whatever that forum is

i broke my tandy awl in like 20 minutes because it wasnt sharp and i had to push too hard.

I've been using the same 2 awls from tandy for 4 years. No decent/affordable awl will come sharp, and the tandy awls don't come sharpened. You've gotta first do your edges with sharpening stone or wet/dry sandpaper, and then make sure to strope it every 10-15 minutes with paste and leather while you're sewing. It's not that the company is lazy, it's so that the person using it can sharpen it to their liking. Great value for the money in my opinion, I use mostly tandy tools and they've never let me down. just keep them sharp/oiled/working good, and they'll be great for a long while.

I've been using the same 2 awls from tandy for 4 years. No decent/affordable awl will come sharp, and the tandy awls don't come sharpened. You've gotta first do your edges with sharpening stone or wet/dry sandpaper, and then make sure to strope it every 10-15 minutes with paste and leather while you're sewing. It's not that the company is lazy, it's so that the person using it can sharpen it to their liking. Great value for the money in my opinion, I use mostly tandy tools and they've never let me down. just keep them sharp/oiled/working good, and they'll be great for a long while.

which tandy awl to do use? because mine definitely snapped at the base :\

I got the cheapo diamond point awl from tandy.

What type of leather would you use to make a bag like this?

300005_mrp_fr_l.jpg

CLICK FOR BAG

I just had some of my luggage stolen and I thought I could use this as an opportunity to get something made for me. I already have a design similar to this drawn up / sketched, I just need to know what kind of leather I should use for this and around how much it would cost in terms of raw materials. Also what can I expect in terms of stretching / longevity if its not lined but just raw leather with handles and rings for a shoulder sling?

I recently made up one of my card cases with a vintage USN button in black. Watching natural leather evolve is fun, but I am thinking I need some black goods soon.

qnF50.jpg

made myself a bag for my front rack. more or less a lunch box, don't carry much else on rides. 1 piece body constructed with 10 rivets total. only thing stitched on was the back piece because I thought it needed at least some stitching. scrap 7oz leather is way too thick for a production bag so I had to oil it to get it to bend a bit (didn't want to wet form it), but it'll be tough!

5684622667_a876fbc4ce_z.jpg

5684622201_26f349afac_z.jpg

5684623291_95005e181f_z.jpg

What type of leather would you use to make a bag like this?

300005_mrp_fr_l.jpg

CLICK FOR BAG

I just had some of my luggage stolen and I thought I could use this as an opportunity to get something made for me. I already have a design similar to this drawn up / sketched, I just need to know what kind of leather I should use for this and around how much it would cost in terms of raw materials. Also what can I expect in terms of stretching / longevity if its not lined but just raw leather with handles and rings for a shoulder sling?

Its chrome tanned "italian". Style leather. My little company that I apprentice at makes this kind of stuff in there sleep :)!

We LOVE doing custom work like this!!! PM me, and I will give you details.