Day-trippin' in Kojima

choice_genes

dont forget choice jeans, the originator of this thread.

WORD.

when i go there, ima take a shit load of whites( tees, beaters, socks, boxers) and dye them bitches

This is one thing that I forgot to mention previously. If any of you guys do make it waaay out to Kurashiki. BRING YOUR OWN STUFF to dye. The wanted like 5000YEN for a plain ass Tshirt, and 3000 for a bandana. I guess they kind of have you over a barell in those cases where you came empty handed. Also, they said that what ever it is that you want to dye must be 100% cotton. I was gonna bring a pair of white chucks and dye them bitches blue, but they said, no go.

Just thought I should add that.

• 4 months later...

Can you be more specific? Are you there on business, on a buying trip? In any event I personally can't really give you any more information than the comments I have already posted in this thread. All the best with your endeavors though.

To all y'all who have recently +repped me for this thread - thanks! :)

I'm really glad others have got something out of it.

I am going there on a business trip primarly. well found your thread and info on it useful. just a quick question did you find the locals in kojima friendly, i am asking cause though i have traveled to osaka and tokyo in the past i have never been to a small town in japan .

EDIT: I also actually have a video, but youtube is not uploading my shit for some reason. Will post it here if I can get it to go through.

I totally forgot that I was going to add a video of the dyeing, but dude bumped this thread and reminded me.

Note, when u dye the shit you do it in 60 second intervals, so that is why I keep looking up (at a clock) on the wall, not because Im a fuckin schizo.

Anyway, here it is:

BPagarkYAHg&h

sweet; ill be in Japan in april as well; haven't decided yet if i'll swing by Kojima though. Maybe I ought to, since i'll be passing it on my way to Hiroshima

This is a somewhat unrelated thought, in response to chromes video (thanks for that btw), but it seems to me that ALL Japanese girls involved with denim tend to be the cutest thing ever...that is to say, they are hot and I wouldn't mind getting some indigo stains all over that...

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Thought I'd shed some light on the unanswered questions. There is no "Jean tour" like a factory tour etc. Betty Smith has a design-your-own-jeans experience and Rampuya has the aforementioned dying experience. This same dying experience can be found all-over Japan though, especially in Tokushima where most of the Japanese indigo-dying industry is based. It's a good place to get a little insight on the rather young Japanese denim industry. If you're interested in indigo dying you're better off somewhere else.

If you have your heart set on walking into the 45rpm or Big John factory and seeing their machines, you would be better off writing them an email. Just thought I'd add this information as I'd hate to see people travel all the way out to Kojima if they didn't have to.

If you do end up coming out to Okayama, a stop in kurashiki is highly recommended. Okayama is the textile giant in Japan, Uni-qlo got there start here in a small shopping arcade. It's also the nations biggest producer of school uniforms.

• 1 year later...

very nice trip. the videos will be nice to watch.

by the way, is that a "jeans bus" picture?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey there,

thought I could share some materials here. So here's a link to an album with the few picture I took in Kojima (+ a few from Osaka and Kyoto)

And here's a video, not denim related, but for you guys to get an idea of the mood. The little quiet streets I took to go to the museum were really nice.

And I just found a video from the Jeans street posted 2 weeks ago on youtube. It's in 3 parts, great stuff!

Enjoy

• 2 years later...

the city is so quiet super.. i can hear someone talking in like 15-20 meters away ( of course foreigners) .. been there 3 time would love to buy a house and stay there..