australia :: melbourne :: shopping

Tyro1

hi guys!

i have a question, i am currently looking at getting a blackberry, probably a bold, but am locked into a plan with 3 mobile for at least the next 8 months. The only way i could upgrade is to pay out my plan and then start a new plan.

is it possible to simply buy a blackberry from another source, unlock it, or buy it unlocked then upgrade my 3 plan to include data unsage?? anyone have any idea if that would be ok?

help would be greatly appreciated.

Yeah it is - i'll have a look and see if there is something I (or my better half) wants, and if not you can give it a try. Who knows, it might work.

Thanks! Might just keep it then and hang on for the new silent shipping to arrive... Not much else worth kopping from forward IMO.

P.S. Man, I would be kinda bummed if I would've special ordered CCP sneakers and they came with that fluroescent navy-blue sole.

Off current topic, but does anyone know where I can cop some Malin+Goetz eucalyptus deodorant from? Can't seem to find anywhere that ships to Australia.

mecca will be receiving more sometime this month.

any one else use m+g? thinking of trying a few products.

would like to hear of similar local companies, too, if they exist.

i thought they were sick, tho

o rly?

I neither like the sole (appears thicker than usual) nor the fluroescent effect (if you want to call it like that)...

Would love to see that EM sale. But I am going to visit Berlin at the end of march, so that will be my first experience with Carol IRL. I hope they have plenty of his stuff by then and are kind enough to explain the work to somebody who is genuinely interested in the stuff but not looking to actually purchase anything :-\

Don't know why I havn't recommended this earlier, but signing up for Spreets deals is a good idea. I've signed up for a while now. You get daily deals where you can purchase vouchers for restaurants, bars and stuff, usually 50% off or more.

Here's one of the deals I purchased last week and used it on Saturday. It was for Kobe Jones Japanese in Docklands, a 10 dish luxury menu with a value of $135 per person and it cost $67 with Spreets. Kobe Jones isn't that great but I wanted to try out this menu.

All the dishes were for sharing between 3 of us, with exception for the Sushi Platter and Seafood Poke which was one each.

Number One Special

Crab salad with avocado wrapped in Hiramasa kingfish and baked with secret sauce.

IMG_0379.jpg

IMG_0380.jpg

Sushi Platter

Chef's selection,

and

Seafood Poke

Hawaiian style sashimi cubes marinated in poke sauce.

IMG_0377.jpg

Anago Scallops

Tempura Hokkaido scallops stuffed with crab salad and asparagus, drizzled with bittersweet soy sauce glaze.

IMG_0382.jpg

IMG_0386.jpg

Hawaiian Roll

Prawns, cucumber, burdock root and pineapple chilli jam topped with tuna and avocado and drizzled with poke sauce.

IMG_0388.jpg

Wagyu Tenderloin Tataki

Seared and chilled, served rare with garlic, ginger and ponzu sauce.

IMG_0390.jpg

Volcano Roll

Oven baked scallops layered on a crab salad and avocado roll, with special cream sauce and sesame seed and shallot sprinkle.

IMG_0392.jpg

Miso Citrus Lobster Tail

Grilled green lobster tail served in a citrus miso sauce on a bed on steamed vegetables and wafu thermidor sauce.

IMG_0394.jpg

hey guys, this might be completely off topic but my friends and i would love to have some melbourne fashion community opinion on this (and i know a couple of you guys here have started your own label and such so your views are really appreciated as well).

basically, a few of my friends and i have started realistically toying with the idea of starting our own label, designing our own staple pieces, as well as opening our own retail space (or online store at first to gain momentum) to push our clothes.

this thinking kinda became apparent recently because we seriously believe there is, right now, a gap in the market in australia with regards especially to menswear. pieces priced decently cheap, for example, ~$90 collar shirts, ~$100 chinos etc., (think what hem&haw's pricepoint used to be, or even a slightly upscale cheap monday pricepoint), but with a quality that is severely lacking in the labels out there now at that price. FAT and general pants have recently started their own line of basic collar shirts and the like around that price range (probably because they saw that gap in the market too), but the quality of the materials, the construction, and the fit of the clothes really leave a lot to be desired.

of course you can get well-fitting, superb quality simple items (eg. acne, band of outsiders, brooks brothers etc etc, this is the kind of simple items we are going for), but the price is always premium and pushing towards high-end such as $200 for a shirt.

so we thought, especially after seeing the great quality of some clothing items in hong kong at really cheap prices that fit great and look just as good, theres something there to be said. the real concept though we thought that we would love to see is a label with an emphasis on their colour palette. we really love the idea of natural, deep colours. so for example, burnt mustard yellows and ocean blues, forest greens, heavy burgandies etc even branching maybe into the occasional pastel. these colours are amazing but really hard to find consistently.

so what we would love to know is if you had a store/online shop, selling really simple, clean basics (oxford shirts, cardigans, sweaters, nice outerwear, simple desert boots etc) with decent quality (better than your average shirt at FAT or GP), a fit on the clothes that is second to none (we are REALLY emphasising fantastic fit in design) and pricepoints at $90 collar shirts, $100 bottoms, $20 basic tees, all stocked in deep, natural colours, is it something that might get your attention?

what do you guys think about the gap in the menswear market in australia (if there is even one at all in your opinion)?

would you guys trust a made in vietnam tag?

would you shop there regularly? because we really think this could be THAT store you go to if you want a well-fitting, good quality, lame basic for cheap-medium price (we think a lot of people just settle on AA for their lame basics even though their prices are high and quality is subpar just because they cant find it anywhere else).

yeah, anyway, sorry for the really long post; theres actually a lot more behind the idea than i put here but ill save you guys the hassle haha. i know most the people here kind of lean more towards the more dark, high-fashion spectrum of the market, but my friends and i have been getting the concept of the store and brand culture down for a while and we've discussed pretty much everything to be discussed so we just really would love some outside opinion, especially from the people tied into the australian fashion scene.

thanks and if you have some helpful advice or just want to chat about the idea a bit just give me a pm (:

so what we would love to know is if you had a store/online shop, selling really simple, clean basics (oxford shirts, cardigans, sweaters, nice outerwear, simple desert boots etc) with decent quality (better than your average shirt at FAT or GP), a fit on the clothes that is second to none (we are REALLY emphasising fantastic fit in design) and pricepoints at $90 collar shirts, $100 bottoms, $20 basic tees, all stocked in deep, natural colours, is it something that might get your attention?

it is something that would definitely get my attention, pretty much all my basics are natural colours. pricepoint wise, i think around $70 for a collared shirt would be more attractive and $80-$90 for bottoms is more around a range i would expect to pay for something that is simple but at the same time as better than GP quality.

what do you guys think about the gap in the menswear market in australia (if there is even one at all in your opinion)?

there's a gap waiting to be filled, something akin to an australian muji/qlo. i'm not surprised retailers are trying to fill this gap, but i guess there hasn't been any raving about a particular brand as they haven't quite understood the demographics of the market to find a balance in cuts and materials that an average person would like and be more than inclined to pay a price for it without shopping around.

would you guys trust a made in vietnam tag?

yes

would you shop there regularly?

if its a 'one stop shop' for my needs i would be there every now and then.

i work at AA and would still buy all of your stuff, i find there is a HUGE gap here (aus) especially in terms of winter wear. i have never found a decent cardigan or anything similar like that here, and i can't really justify spending $200+ as a student on a shirt with aus markup.

bassike are doing something similar but with just jersey basics. to me, they are still too expensive ($100 for a blank tee) and really aren't that amazing quality-wise. i think people forget that basics are just what the title describes, 'basic' apparel. anything more than $50ish for a plain white tee in just a reg cotton is pretty crazy to me and i'd never pay it.

edit: for the record i have no problem paying $300 for jeans, $500 for a coat etc but that is out of the basic category completely.

If any of you melb dudes/gurlz are interested I have a pair of APC Petit Standards for sale. Size 26.....(Incu only stocks down to 28)

Worn about a dozen times and stretched out a bit, but still too small for me.

$120 and we can meet up in the city or I can post them Aus wide....

PM me

it is something that would definitely get my attention, pretty much all my basics are natural colours. pricepoint wise, i think around $70 for a collared shirt would be more attractive and $80-$90 for bottoms is more around a range i would expect to pay for something that is simple but at the same time as better than GP quality.

yeah, we really are trying to be as decent in price as possible, but in australia at least with heavy tax laws and such, theres really a reason no ones been putting out these items at that price range (especially at a quality point we hope to be making). take into account that if we get this off the ground, we are going to be a small shop, at least in comparison the general pants', just jeans etc., so there is always going to be a slight mark up just in terms of production costs. of course if we were mass producing on the scale of those shops we could lower the price, but at the moment it doesnt seem that feasible...

there's a gap waiting to be filled, something akin to an australian muji/qlo. i'm not surprised retailers are trying to fill this gap, but i guess there hasn't been any raving about a particular brand as they haven't quite understood the demographics of the market to find a balance in cuts and materials that an average person would like and be more than inclined to pay a price for it without shopping around.

yep, my friends and i have really discussed this in depth. we see the gap in the market closing really quick, and we think labels have about 3/4 seasons before they really take a strangle hold on the field. i remember a while ago that uniqlo was slated to arrive in sydney in the coming seasons, general pants are starting to push their own lines more and more (arvust, we rob banks, line etc.), same with FAT, and PLANE are similar in starting premise (but we think they fucked up their stock buys eg. stocking AA in their store, direct competition against their own line). all this meaning that if this concept were to REALLY take off, we gave ourselves maybe 1 year to 1.5 years for it to blow up which really is not a lot of time at all. launching our store later than that, we think it could do well still, just not be the GO TO juggernaut that it had the potential to be.

i work at AA and would still buy all of your stuff, i find there is a HUGE gap here (aus) especially in terms of winter wear. i have never found a decent cardigan or anything similar like that here, and i can't really justify spending $200+ as a student on a shirt with aus markup.

you are pretty much the demographic we are catering towards, because i think you are probably really similar to me and my friend. we both thought the exact same thing as students -- its really hard to justify spending 180rrp on a claude maus button up, or 90 for a print tee. but if there was a store, lets say in brunswick or something, that had button ups, nice pants and outerwear, that were clean, affordable, fit GREAT, decent-to-good quality, in a colour palette that really appealed to the eyes, then we would destroy that shit haha. i mean, i would buy a shit ton there myself, especially now where AA serves as the go-to for basics.

bassike are doing something similar but with just jersey basics. to me, they are still too expensive ($100 for a blank tee) and really aren't that amazing quality-wise. i think people forget that basics are just what the title describes, 'basic' apparel. anything more than $50ish for a plain white tee in just a reg cotton is pretty crazy to me and i'd never pay it.

edit: for the record i have no problem paying $300 for jeans, $500 for a coat etc but that is out of the basic category completely.

bassike is tough. i agree the quality on them isnt really great (off the shelf their cottons feel luxurious and soft, but after a few washes it falls apart), but i dont think they are really aiming for the lame basic kind of product line up. example, i dont think theyve ever made a regular, plain cotton tee (theyve made drapy, loose tees, drapy pocket tees, oversize sheer tees etc though).

actually we thought the basic tee section of our store is really where we arent aiming for a lot of profit. aiming towards only a 19.95 pricepoint, we dont think thats the main selling point. but we will stock the tees in an abundance of colours, which really could attract people into the store for a more thorough look (when theyre coming in for a nice basic tee in a colour they WILL be able to find).