Final Home

Eccles

After searching for a year or so finally picked up a Final Home emergency jacket. I have been intrigued by this brand for some time, for those not familiar Final Home is a street orientated brand by Issey Miyake the concept behind the brand is that in the event of a disaster the clothing would serve as a 'final home' this from their site

"Its concept is "a cloth which can be adapted according to need". For example, to protect against the cold, you can put newspapers in the pockets, or if you equip it with survival rations and a medical kit, it becomes a valuable cloth when taking refuge. The name "FINAL HOME" was first given to this particular garment, and then it became their brand name - it equates to the idea of it being the "ultimate shelter"

The coat comes in three basic colors: "orange" to remind of one's existence; "khaki" to blend in with the forest and "black" to assimilate in the city. Directions for use are written on the bag in which the coat comes.

This coat is recyclable. After enjoying it as a fashion item, please wash it thoroughly and bring it to one of our outlets. We will donate it to organizations such as NGO for the benefit of refugees or disaster victims."

w_tsumura.jpg

There has not been a great deal of information or discussion about this brand but I'm aware it is much loved and would like to know more about collections where to cop etc

So post your thoughts favorite pieces whatever.....

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing I don't understand is the constant notice on items that you can "stuff cushions or newspaper into the pockets." Is there something about the pockets that makes them different than any other pocket? Because I'm pretty sure I could put newspaper and cushions in all my jackets pockets if I really wanted to.

That is a nice one servo have seen some similar jackets in different material another online store is Le Bouclard Paris but haven't seen any updates from them in a while

http://le-bouclard.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=21_30

I've been keeping an eye here as well but they've had the same stuff forever, and it seems more expensive than the Japanese sites as well. Don't carry the emergency jacket in black it doesn't appear, which is mainly what I'm keeping an eye out for.

The "Emergency Long Jacket" and "Black Coat Waterproof Goretex System" both look nice.

The pockets on the emergency jacket are full zip, two down the front and back and down the arms. These are separated into sections and it is possible to stuff them with newspapers or cushions. I did try it but didn't feel any warmer.

i think they do carry the shortblack emergency jacket if that is what your after

parkacourte.jpg

The vintage/classic concepts from the late ninties and early 2000s were really great. Especially the ponchos and jackets that could be converted into bags and tents, etc. Really amazing concepts. Sadly the line has slightly gone the way of "streetwear" trends because of waining popularly.

http://www.finalhome.com/

http://www.hmr.jp/user/BrandTop/FH

yeah props to seenmy for introducing this brand to me. love their stuff, it's just too damn hard to come by in the states. i did robocop a final home cardi though, so sick! cotton as opposed to wool or knit what-have-you, with 2 "seamless" style pockets (like their jackets). i love it.

Bought mine in Tokyo '99 :D

Final home has nothing to do with Issey Miyake save for Kosuke Tsumura worked in his studio as an apprentice, I think. The actual line is entirely his project.

If anyone's really interested in this style of sartorial design, there's an excellent book written by Andrew Bolton and published by the V&A gallery called "The supermodern Wardrobe" which covers everyone from my friends at Vexed Generation to Lucie Orta. Pick it up you can't go wrong.

Edit: yup, here ya go

Bought mine in Tokyo '99 :D

Final home has nothing to do with Issey Miyake save for Kosuke Tsumura worked in his studio as an apprentice, I think. The actual line is entirely his project.

If anyone's really interested in this style of sartorial design, there's an excellent book written by Andrew Bolton and published by the V&A gallery called "The supermodern Wardrobe" which covers everyone from my friends at Vexed Generation to Lucie Orta. Pick it up you can't go wrong.

I think you might be right about that. Book sounds interesting shall have to give it a look.

Apparentley ' FINAL HOME welcomes suggestions from customers and ideas for new projects.' superfuture x Final Home anyone?

Syb, is it the long one you have?

Would I fit in it?

Send it my way maybe?

Anyway, always like what I saw from them, but it was mostly the long coats, and most of the time on older "understated" fashion proffesionals.

They also did this soft floppy machine guns, and special teddybears to stuff the jackets with. For insulation purposes.

most of the stuff was too tricky for me (along the lines of the jackets above) but they were always full of ingenuity along the post-apocalyptic survival theme. i still wear some of their classic pieces like the compressed t-shirts, partially in tribute to the old lafayette street. i remember thinking it was really macabre and out there at the time. there was also some more thematic junk along the lines of the garbage junya watanabe comes up with that barneys was similarly fond of.

a friend of mine's ex-roommate used to work at the lafayette store and had the couch made out of corrugated cardboard, never got to visit sadly.

btw i always thought that issey miyake (the company) did all the manufacturing for the line and kind of assumed there was a significant financial stake, if not outright ownership. but i suppose i didn't ask too many questions about it.

"The supermodern Wardrobe" which covers everyone from my friends at Vexed Generation to Lucie Orta. Pick it up you can't go wrong.

When did this come out? Looks really interesting. I miss the futurism element of fashion back in the late nineties. Although synthetic ponchos are making a comeback recently.

Kousuke-tsumura recently put out an interesting book called fantasy mode which develops a lot on the underlying themes of his work. It's more fantasy rather than utility oriented but still interesting...here is an interview for those that can read Japanese.

http://www.pingmag.jp/J/2007/06/22/kousuke-tsumura/

tsumura03.jpg

Interesting final home survivial poncho:

home-1.jpg

Collaboration pieces for [Grand Stage]:

MG_9547.jpg

Builds upon the survival theme in urban environments...like the idea of urban space all over prints as camoflague...

Supermodern wardrobe Was first published in hardcover 2002 or 3 I think, then it went out of print and for a while you could pick it up for £4 on ebay. The Kosuke Tsmura book is a curiousity but definitely worth picking up if you feel like becoming a disciple.

I've never found clothing as exciting as I did in the mid late 90's. These days all I'm wearing is the pieces I bought back then that I've got reworked by the people that made them.

maybe I'll try soon ... Cotton sent me a tripod in an effort to get more pics from my direction but i just haven't had the time or found the inspiration recently.

I got existing pieces reworked through boredom at what I found in stores as well as financial consideration - I couldn't afford the sort of clothes I was really feeling and didn't feel the need or couldn't justify replacing existing items that I already had.

It would be killer if you could post up some of your "favorite" pieces someday, Syb.

I second this request

i always thought that issey miyake (the company) did all the manufacturing for the line and kind of assumed there was a significant financial stake, if not outright ownership. but i suppose i didn't ask too many questions about it..

To clarify this Issey Miyake Inc became A-net inc in 1996 all Final Home manafacturing is done by A-net but the concept of Final Home is all Kosuke Tsumura.