state your beer, drinkers

it played in theaters through-out the US however i thought it was just a one night show. it was a cool documentary and briefly touch up on yuengling, dogfish, stone, and a few others. a lot of info was presented and made it hard for me not to blab during the flick.

Trying this today:

speakeasy-prohibition.gif

From bottle. Head dissolves quickly, moderate lacing. Really good on the nose, lots of coffee, fruit, caramel. Taste is a bit monotonous, mainly caramel/sugar with a bit of hop to balance it out. A bit disappointing after just giving it a sniff. 7.5/10

My Australian friend is all about Cooper's. I tried that vintage one once but I don't remember anything about it.

On Monday I am applying to one of the local breweries, Mad River Brewing Company, to be the guy who pours beer for and nerds out with people visiting the brewery. Wish me luck!!!

Best of luck with that...seriously. After exactly a month of working in coffee, I have learned so much, and been exposed to so much delicious coffee and food that I heartily endorse all efforts to find employment working with something you absolutely love. Speaking of things I absolutely love, its time to go open a bottle of Pliny.

Thanks T. I actually had the pleasure of visiting a local roaster last week. Got a tour of their little operation, a rundown of how they operate, and got to participate in a cupping of some new Papua New Guinea Peaberry they just sample roasted. Very cool experience, and I came away with some delicious beans.

A great hoppy and sessionable red:

IMG_3111.jpg

Maybe this could use some time in the cellar. Super sweet and cloying.

IMG_3115.jpg

My favorite dark Belgian I recall in a long time. Super dark yet surprisingly bright fruity character from the yeast. Went well with those cocoa powder coated truffles.

IMG_3131-1.jpg

Surprisingly, for a 10% lager, I did not hate this. Kind of like a mellower tasting barleywine, and not the least bit hot. Very well done.

IMG_3134.jpg

Update from the weekend (all from bottle):

Boon_Oude_Geuze_075.jpg

Dry dry dry dry. Lots of barnyard going on, serious sour apple bite. Funky (in a good way, like just milked out of da funk 's teets). Was going to pick up the Marriage Parfait as well to compare, but they ran out an hour before I got into the shop. Boo. 8.5/10

87287.jpg

Lots of yeasty bready stuff happening. Citrus up front and, I want to say cloves or cinnamon (or some christmassy type spice) on the aftertaste. Good hoppiness, doesn't overwhelm the other flavors. Well rounded I think sums this up. 9/10.

Image2(13).jpg

A little sweeter than I like a bitter, lots of caramel and sugar straight to the dome. A little monotonous, flat on the flavor profile. 5.5/10

The 13th annual Boonville beer fest is this Saturday. You go on Friday, camp and party all night with other beer nerds (camping is right next to the fest), then you go to the fest on Saturday and either pass out or keep partying that night. There are baseball diamonds. Drunken baseball should happen.

My bitchass friends won't go with me (at least I haven't convinced them yet). Thought I'd check here on the unlikely chance any of y'all can go.

If I lived in Cali, I'd go with you, but I'm stuck in the south right now :( I'm going to Ommegang Does Cooperstown in August for the first time though, you ever been? Heard it's awesome, tons of great brewers (including RR :D) tapping kegs til they're gone for a few days, should be a good time.

B-Dawg:

I see you online (creeper conceptz).

Picking up beer in an hour, looking for some palate-challengers. Recommendations?

Sorry I missed you man. Where are you located? Kinda depends on your regional selection. As far as palate challenging, I always find Belgian brews to be less straightforward than American stuff with their interesting array of yeast. Saisons and sours are pretty complex stuff. More weirdness to pick apart for sure.

^I second Hennepin, definitely a good beer... Another saison that's pretty easy to find and is really good is Saison d'Erpe-Mere. Also, not sure if The Bruery has made it to Boston yet (I know they're moving into the NE), but if it has go for Saison de Lente or Saison Rue, both are extremely good.

Exciting news in the world of myself: I got the job working in the tasting room at my local brewery! It will be my job to pour and discuss beers with visitors.

From what I heard during the interview they are expanding and are looking to begin holding events such as pairings and tastings. I am pretty damn stoked!

Also redgrail: I don't remember what I thought of it, but Fantome saison is a highly regarded beer and is worth a try if you see it.

...back to old faithful...

stella-artois-bottle.jpg

Yes... This is absolutely one of my favorites... Also imperial is quite good and Sol. I also, tried Newcastle for the first time this past weekend (for some reason) and I thought it was pretty good too...