DJs?

Question for the experienced DJ's out there. I've decided I want to start spinning and learn how to DJ. Should I invest the cash and buy myself a set of decks and the rest of the gear I'll need or should I make friends with someone who already has it, get them to teach me and see if I like it first. It seems to me it's a big investment for something I don't know much about. How did you guys get started?

All depends on how serious you are. I bought turntables first, but thru hanging out at various record shops around DC, I was able to make friends with other DJs. As far as buying turntables, check ebay and craigslist for turntables because there are always some for sale from someone who is either giving up, moving etc.

While you're at it only buy 1200s as well. They are hella sturdy and hold their resale value extremely well if u decide to quit.

I've been a producer for a while (dirty house, and trance), and i would like to start djing.

I maybe able to get a deal on some numark ttx's but im not sure what mixer to get.

the same guy can get deals on M-audio as well but im not sure if they make any good mixers. any recomendations?

DONT GET NUMARK turntables !!! Don't skimp out and get belt driven or whatever turntables. take the time, save up and get a pair of 1200s. They are all/ everything you even need. otherwise your just wasting $$$$.

For a mixer.. to start, you dont need anythgin serious.. gemini, numark, vestax will all suit you fine. if you wanna step it up, get a Poineer or Allen & Heath.

the end.

• 2 weeks later...
DONT GET NUMARK turntables !!! Don't skimp out and get belt driven or whatever turntables. take the time, save up and get a pair of 1200s. They are all/ everything you even need. otherwise your just wasting $$$$.

For a mixer.. to start, you dont need anythgin serious.. gemini, numark, vestax will all suit you fine. if you wanna step it up, get a Poineer or Allen & Heath.

the end.

KOPP rane ttm56. i bought mine 3 weeks ago.

im glad i purchased it.

if you're buying new... you can probably just get a used ttm56 for around the same price - that way you wouldn't have to worry about dropping another $100 to upgrading the fader (unless you need 3 channels). eq's on the rane's are great - much better than the pmc-05.

i've never used the nuo 3, but i messed around with eclers HAK 320 mixer a long time ago and it seemed really nice.

Yeah man...just got back from BK with a used 1200mk2 (my days of 2 turntables are back in effect). About to get my flight cases out of storage and set up again. Currently have two Technics 1200mk2's and a Technics SH-DJ1200 mixer. About to upgrade from Stanton to Shure m44-7 carts.

Started in '95 as a (primarily) Hip Hop mixtape/bedroom DJ on some shitty Gemini belt drives...NEVER, EVER, EVER get belt-driven...after years of being a pause tape maker. Saved up and got my 1200's a year later...was using 4 turntables to make mixtapes since I didn't use a 4-track...1200's as the primary and for continuous blend tape (acapellas over instrumentals) magic...I used a Gemini to bring in the acapella. I did one party in high school on Gems...the rest were on 1200's.

I got into DJ'ing because I loved (still do) playing music and watching people light up...but I also was inspired to get loose on some beat juggling and cuts as the first battle footage I saw was Roc Raida winning the DMC's in London for the first time (the one Q-Bert and Mixmaster Mike opened at).

By the summer of '97, I had a few beat juggle routines and techy cuts and did a few Table Turns events at the Nuyorican Poet's Cafe in the Lower East Side. My first performance was sharing the stage with the X-Ecutioners and ISP...they sat right around/behind me (Roc Raida and D-Styles were showcasing that night). Shit was surreal...and I killed it. Raida even had me on his video cam.

I then went on to DJ for an underground Hip Hop group, Atoms Family, that I had a short stint with...ended up doing cuts on two unreleased tracks and two shows: Coney Island High and Purchase College...a third one was at Planet 28 while MOP and ODB were in the audience...crazy. The sound system got fucked and everyone had to go live...so they just spit acapellas and were out.

Someone steal me Serrato and a Rane TTM-56/57 mixer off of the delivery truck. I will never carry crates to a gig again.

To add...it kinda feels weird to say "Hip Hop mixtape DJ" since for the last handful of years, it's been accepted that what we ALL used to shit on DJ Clue for, playing DATS and CD's, has become the norm.

Also...I will be spinning mostly old school hip hop and hardcore punk (up until the mid-90's)...starting with podcasts and then maybe/hopefully live around NYC...also breaks (rare and classic), soul, psych rock, anything that sounds nice on dirty vinyl.

Guest youkinorn

While you're at it only buy 1200s as well. They are hella sturdy and hold their resale value extremely well if u decide to quit.

this cannot be said enough.

There are other good decks besides 1200s.

That being said, I use 1200s.

yes, but really, buying something other than a 1200 is pretty stupid since you probably won't be able to resell it at as high a price as a 1200 (and sometimes you can get 1200s for dirt cheap). most of the features on other turntables are extraneous - and if they're as good/better than the 1200's they're probably as expensive or more expensive.... plus if you start to gig having a feel for technics 1200's is valuable since virtually every club uses them.

heBay- shit that sounds dope. glad you're back in the game. i just quit my dj gig haha.... fuckers are undercover racist around here. would love to hear some of your mixtapes...

heBay- shit that sounds dope. glad you're back in the game. i just quit my dj gig haha.... fuckers are undercover racist around here. would love to hear some of your mixtapes...

Politics are the worst. I actually got sick of the turntablist "scene" because of the bullshit too...not racism, just the overly elitist attitude a lot of the kids who were trying to make a name for themselves in NYC had...yet those same holier cats sucked the dick of anyone respectable that came through. Shit was too much for me to stomach as a high school kid (reminded me of the petty shit people got caught up in back in school).

Definitely got you cue'd in...I'll PM you the podcast address too (when it's up).

how do you like that Emax?

I bought one about five years ago for like 90 bucks, just for the warmth of its sample processor and filiters, but ended up trading it for an iPod cuz the thing was so big and slow.

Used an ASR10 for awhile too, maybe just because Alchemist did/does. haha.

For the money the emax is dope( i got mines for free: Gave him a copy of Reason 2), The 12bit sound is close to the sp-12. The filters are quite nice too, Only downside is the thing is huge!

Politics are the worst. I actually got sick of the turntablist "scene" because of the bullshit too...not racism, just the overly elitist attitude a lot of the kids who were trying to make a name for themselves in NYC had...yet those same holier cats sucked the dick of anyone respectable that came through. Shit was too much for me to stomach as a high school kid (reminded me of the petty shit people got caught up in back in school).

Definitely got you cue'd in...I'll PM you the podcast address too (when it's up).

Where do you play out in NYC? I have a few gigs per week and would love to come see you play and possibly hook ya up w/ a few spots.

why serato AND the ttm57? ttm57 already has it built in!

hope you're not overpaying for the ttm57 either.

Welll yeah the ttm57...I thought it just had Serato bundled with it (software...no?). How much should I pay for the ttm57...I'd love to cop for less than $1449.99...but that seems to be retail price everywhere.

a lot of my friends use serato. i started off with final scratch which has evolved to traktor scratch. traktor scratch is reliable. i think it's equivalent to serato now.

id been wanting to get some decks for 10 years or so.

i finally bit the bullet around xmas time. got a really sweet deal, everything was basically cost price...

my setup:..

pioneercdj800djm400hdj1000.jpg

pioneer CDJ800 mk II

pioneer DJM400

pioneer HDJ1000

i didnt want vinyl for obvious financial and practicality reasons, and wasnt too keen on getting a laptop based setup either.

just mixing at home and with friends etc at the moment. i may end up playing gigs somewhere down the track, but im happy enough for the time being. im playing a pretty broad range of stuff from minimal and breaks to tech house....but the vast majority is dnb and dubstep.

time for a mix now methinks.