DJs?

i have serato for sale. i used it live ONCE, it's in perfect condition. all except one of the time coded vinyls got chipped. they're like $10, and you can use the other side of it anyway. get at me if you're interested, we can work out a deal.

Hey guys,

What do you guys think is better overall for tables. I currently have some Numark TT200 which are pretty good for all I can tell, I'm a newb. But anyways I know somebody that has some Technic 1200 for sale and was wondering which were better. Should I stick with what I got or switch it up. Keep in mind I play hiphop, oldschool breaks etc so I'd eventually want to get really into scratching. Thoughts?????

I've heard good things about the Stanton ST 150, I will agree the technics are amazing but I heard these Statons are like the 1200s but made for this era. 1200s are definitely starting to show its age. But then again technics can always be easily replaced or repaired when it comes to parts.

Keagan, do you have any recordings of your dj sets? I'd like to hear what you spin.

Are you referring to what they use in a club? Because setups in clubs can vary but most of the time alot clubs use pionner djm800 mixers and cdj1000mk3.

yeah. they don't bring their own decks? is it because they travel so much? they just bring records/cds/laptops to integrate?

i've tried stanton's, vestax, etc. and nothing compares to technics 1200's. industry standard for vinyl and always will be. they can add all the gimics they want, but they still don't have the same feel as the 1200/1210s.

yeah. they don't bring their own decks? is it because they travel so much? they just bring records/cds/laptops to integrate?

Its because the equipment itself is very heavy and all the clubs provide what they need. All they need to bring is the music, computers, or midi controllers/fx pads. Some djs do bring all their gear like Daft Punk and other big names. But even the bignames dont always bring their gear. Cause the gear the clubs use are usually top notch stuff. When a dj brings extra gear (mixers, turntables, cdjs, etc) he or she would have to charge the club more money.

i've tried stanton's, vestax, etc. and nothing compares to technics 1200's. industry standard for vinyl and always will be. they can add all the gimics they want, but they still don't have the same feel as the 1200/1210s.

exactly. everything else is just for novelty factor.

unless you can only have one turntable to convert all your vinyl to digital and don'twant to have extra equipment maybe you'd want something else. but for djing. there really is no substitute.

also. if you can't afford 2 1200's. buy at least one. if you're going to use serato anyway you can mix with one turntable (which i had to do at my gig because one of my needles got fucked up). it's much better than wasting your money on a 2 shitty turntables (which you'll end up upgrading if you get into it and not being able to sell them)

if anyone wants to buy thhe rane ttm56 and a serato box, let me know. :D

Its because the equipment itself is very heavy and all the clubs provide what they need. All they need to bring is the music, computers, or midi controllers/fx pads. Some djs do bring all their gear like Daft Punk and other big names. But even the bignames dont always bring their gear. Cause the gear the clubs use are usually top notch stuff. When a dj brings extra gear (mixers, turntables, cdjs, etc) he or she would have to charge the club more money.

makes sense.. it would be far to inconvenient/expensive to carry stuff around like that, the amount of traveling they do and all.

so i know kavinsky uses a laptop midi controller, do we know what program he or sebastian use? i assume serrato or traktor.

also, caps lock, im thinking of investing in a numark total control because i do not have nearly enough money to fund both the vinyl and tables, so would this be a right choice? i'm getting a laptop, most likely mac, for school next year, and i wanna do some DJing ala kavinsky/sebastian/ed banger & affiliates - could i work off of something like that? i dunno if you have experience with them (the numark that is), but you seem to know whats up.

makes sense.. it would be far to inconvenient/expensive to carry stuff around like that, the amount of traveling they do and all.

so i know kavinsky uses a laptop midi controller, do we know what program he or sebastian use? i assume serrato or traktor.

also, caps lock, im thinking of investing in a numark total control because i do not have nearly enough money to fund both the vinyl and tables, so would this be a right choice? i'm getting a laptop, most likely mac, for school next year, and i wanna do some DJing ala kavinsky/sebastian/ed banger & affiliates - could i work off of something like that? i dunno if you have experience with them (the numark that is), but you seem to know whats up.

kavinsky uses a laptop and controller? i've only seen him (fucking up) on CDJ's. i would go out on a limb and say if he is using a laptop/midi, it's running ableton. sebastiAn i know uses CDJs for sure.

DJing like the ed banger guys can be done from a few setups. if you mean the loop cut/jog wheel/repeat stutter, that's done on CDJs (seen here.. this is boys noize but sebastiAn does this a ton

). but other than that their mixing style really isn't dependent on what setups they're using, it can be done on tables/serato, cdj's, or laptop/midi.

just save for some turntables man. learn from the ground up. buying vinyl is fun when you have the cash.

in the meantime though, ableton + a uc33 controller is fucking killer.

DJing like the ed banger guys can be done from a few setups. if you mean the loop cut/jog wheel/repeat stutter, that's done on CDJs (seen here.. this is boys noize but sebastiAn does this a ton

). but other than that their mixing style really isn't dependent on what setups they're using, it can be done on tables/serato, cdj's, or laptop/midi.

yep. you can do stutter now on serato 1.8 with the autoloop feature, which adjusts automatically to the predetermined bpm of the song. however, there aren't enough hot keys to go from 1/8beat to 32beat loops, so if you plan to use autoloop/stutter effects extensively, it's almost necessary to attach a midi controller (another feature just introduced to 1.8)

fucks you up bad, but scratching brought you into it

yeah, i don't know what it is.. at least i had a musical background and just did a lot by feeling - but i've met far too many SKRATCH DJs that have no musical sense whatsoever... but think they're all that because they can do a quadruple-click-faderless-flare (totally off beat of course). i haven't kept up with the turntablist world but i liked the musicality C2C was bringing to the table a few years back.

I've heard good things about the Stanton ST 150, I will agree the technics are amazing but I heard these Statons are like the 1200s but made for this era. 1200s are definitely starting to show its age. But then again technics can always be easily replaced or repaired when it comes to parts.

Keagan, do you have any recordings of your dj sets? I'd like to hear what you spin.

http://www.mindfucker.com/music/10607.mp3

it's live it's the most recent I have i think- I've got a couple other live mixes from a few weeks ago lying around- should upload them.

50 minutes it gets really loud then super quiet- it sounded fine there though. I've been using my friends fucked up minidisk