DJs?

hey for you guys who use Ableton, is there a way to cue/play tracks in the clip view screen via midi controller?

i guess what i'm asking is... instead of assigning a midi key to each individual track, is there something that allows you to say, select the next track below and use the same key to start that one?

sort of the same question for looping. is there a way to map a "start/stop loop of current selected track" to a midi controller button?

i havent been able to really make sense of using laptop in tandem with cdj's after reading about it on the net. have a couple of questions that it would be sweet if someone could help me with.

is the serato box basically just a generic midi controller? can i plug it into my mixer and use traktor? or is it possible to just plug my mixer straight into my laptop with traktor (<< im pretty sure i need a midi converter/controller to be able to use the mixer to crossfade etc though right?). i have no idea... obviously.

^ camc,

I have Tracktor scratch it works like this. (in rough terms)

You have a special vinyl/cd that contains a signal tone/noise, this you play on your decks.

The audio output of your deck is routed to the hardware box. The software uses this signal to play/manipulate the music file on your laptop. This is then routed back to your mixer.

So the hardware box sits inbetween the decks and the mixer.

I'm thinking of getting a new mixer, does anyone have any experience with the Numark DXM09? I watched some videos on YouTube about it and it looked pretty good, but my roommate told me Numark mixers aren't reliable? Can anyone confirm or deny this for me?

Stay away from Numark mixers - nobody serious REALLY uses them. The Vestax 06/08s are great, good price for what you get if you scratch... and you can pick them up used everywhere. REALLY if you want that step up get a RANE ttm-56 or an empath if you need 3 channels.

If you are more of a straight club mix DJ get a pioneer DJM 400/600/800

those are standard in the clubs and they are solid, plus learning the format of one will be usefull for playing out, as a lot of DJs have these in their equip contracts

Here is a pretty specific question: I am playing a gig in two weeks at a place with 1200s and a ttm57. I don't have serato, but since the ttm57 has serato built in I was thinking about using it anyway. Does anyone have experience with this? Obviously I'd have to use the control vinyl and still get the serato software somehow. What do y'all do if you don't have serato but use it when you are performing at clubs?

you can install the program at home and build your overviews, cues, crates, etc

so that all you have to do is plugin your laptop to the mixer and do your business

http://www.scratchlive.net/downloads/

Stay away from Numark mixers - nobody serious REALLY uses them.

If you are more of a straight club mix DJ get a pioneer DJM 400/600/800

those are standard in the clubs and they are solid, plus learning the format of one will be usefull for playing out, as a lot of DJs have these in their equip contracts

He's right, avoid numark and gemini like its the plauge or a girl with herpes. The 600 is such a shitty mixer. Its sooo old too, if anything get yourself the 400 which has a better sound processor. If you have more money to spend, get the 700 or the 800. Which has the same chipset as the DJM1000. Ecler makes some really nice mixers too, I personally like Ecler Nuo4; if you can still find one.

fellas.. i need a small set of speakers for my bedroom setup.. like i need real good bass.. since i play dubstep..

what u reckon i should get? im thinking one of those denon mini systems...

Get yourself a pair of monitor speakers. Brands like M-Audio, KRK, and Yamaha. With a KRK setup, you can get yourself a subwoofer also.

• 3 months later...
He's right, avoid numark and gemini like its the plauge or a girl with herpes. The 600 is such a shitty mixer. Its sooo old too, if anything get yourself the 400 which has a better sound processor. If you have more money to spend, get the 700 or the 800. Which has the same chipset as the DJM1000. Ecler makes some really nice mixers too, I personally like Ecler Nuo4; if you can still find one.

nah man behringer is actually.. Numark is just another cheaper alternate mixer, that is a little uncomfortable just like denon..

so I've got a pair of either late 80's or early 90's Technics 1200's that I'm willing to give up for very cheap. They need needles and could probably use a look at by a technician, but I'm happy to move them. $200 for the pair, but I'm open to offers. Also I've got a 4-track mixer, but since it's not here with me at the moment, I forget the brand.

yeah, I dunno the internal condition but I sure as hell need the money more than I need the decks.

Am super-poor :(

plus I rock computer stuff as it is, decks are too much of a hassle, as well as considering I don't have money for vinyl... can't win on all fronts.

I want 1200M5G tables sooo bad, hopefully this summer through. I recently just kopped the Turntable LabXHeadliner Stashpack Serato bag:

img1285.jpg

img1284.jpg

img1278.jpg

It has a velvet like feel for the laptop part, it feels nice:

img1276.jpg

img1275x.jpg

img1274.jpg

Turntable lab are the biggest ripoff though, they're not very good at price matching. You can get the same bag at Rock & Soul on 35th and 7th ave for 110. I payed 125 like a sucker.

• 1 month later...